Grants for Costs Not Paid By Medicare

Medicare is an important program designed to assist with medical care and costs, however, it does not cover all of your expenses. This is a guide about grants for costs not paid by Medicare.

August 4, 2011 Flag

My mom is 77 and is on small fixed income and she needs new dentures and hearing aids are there any grants out there for her?

By John W from St. Paul, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check with your Department of Social Services and see if they know of any available help for your Mom. They also have a section in their office called Adult Services for Aging. I'm familiar with that because I am 71. They also help with homemaker services. I know here in SD, there is a department that helps people with dentures. I have a friend who got new dentures through them about a year ago, but I can't contact her right now, every now and then she becomes incommunicado, she does this once in awhile, when she wants to get away from everything. Also check with your Easter Seal Office(the one in your area.) I know at one time people could donate hearing aids to them and they would be refurbished and in turn loaned/given out. They weren't the real fancy little ones, but they did work.

You could also check at whatever hospital your mom does business with. Sometimes the Social Workers, or Case Managers will help people with programs such as those, even if they are not current patients.

That is how I found out that my mom qualified for a certain type of Medicaid that helps pay for her medications. She only has to pay about $3-$10 for each one.

Hope you find something that will help your mom!

Definitely check with State agencies, I know that in Oklahoma, the State will cover the cost of hearing aids twice in the person's lifetime. My state has no such law, but who knows what you may find. I'd also call doctor's offices, audiologists, etc, since they may be aware of where to call for info.

You could check with your local Lions Club.

The Lions Club only helps with eye glasses.

http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idc ... atestReleased&dDocName=id_006271

http://www.healthpartners.com/publi ... icare/minnesota-medicare-plans/msho/

Check these out, they help with situations like this. :)

Best of Luck

Regina

I have been searching for some kind of financial help. I have been a paraplegic for many years and now am living on a fixed income. Now I have equipment that is wore out , Dr bills, etc.. The place that has helped the most is DSHS believe it or not. Everyplace else want you to pay before they'll help. Its a starting place, be prepared calling from home or going in makes no time difference, so I stayed home with speaker phone on.

September 4, 2010 Flag

I need help to pay for new dentures. I'm a low income disabled senior. I will appreciate any info.

By Diane from Weatherford, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am also a senior on a fixed income. I went to the free dental clinic but all they would do is pull teeth but they did tell me I could go to the local teaching college to get the teeth made for a lot less.

Where I live the dental school will only do exams and cleaning.

I wish I knew, my mother is in the same situation, and I'm not in a position to help. :(

Try Affordable Dentures, I don't know if they have it in your area or not. I live in Ga. and went to Florida to get mine. Its a one day service from impressions to dentures. There are 3 different prices, Economy-$275, is the most used, I'm sorry I can't remember the other prices, but the more you spend the better the quality, The economy lasts for 2 yrs. The other 2 (custom or premium) lasts 14 yrs. Go to Affordable Dentures.com. Hope this helps.

Look up Donated Dental and see if they are in your area. It could take awhile, because you are put on a waiting list. But my name finally came up, and I was blessed with a wonderful dentist, and got a full set of dentures.

I am lucky to have a local dental school. It does take longer to have anything done but you can't fault the price. Check to see if you one one nearby or 50 miles away still would be alright for what you would be saving on the cost of dentures.

If you're a veteran, you should qualify for help through the local veterans' medical services. You'd need your DD-214 and probably other paperwork like proof of income and expenses.

Failing that, if you don't have a dental college within driving distance, ask around to find a reasonably-priced dentist who would let you make regular monthly payments. If I had to self-pay rather than Medicare covering my dental work, my dentist would do whatever necessary once half the total cost of the work was paid.

I don't know if this will help but I put my root canal on CareCredit, a special credit card only for medical/dental expenses. Perhaps you will qualify. Or you could present yourself as a "cash patient" & ask your dentist for a discount based on that. Ask if they can just make temporaries, out of plastic, not enamel, they actually can last for a long time, I have a "temporary" flipper that I have had remade twice & they are not supposed to last at all. The dentist can take an impression in the office & not send them off to the lab, perhaps you can make something like that do. I think there are even diy kits available online? Then you can compensate with dental cream & dental wax and treat them with great care, etc. until you can afford a real set? Just some weird suggestions. Also shop around for a dentist, their policies vary considerably & although you are not "supposed" to be able to shop for a better price, in fact, you can if you are persistent.

Expensive hearing Aids. I need help paying for this and I know there is an organization that will help. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Thank you.

Marionnj

Budget & Finance HealthcareSeptember 16, 2014
Medicare enrollment Form
Choosing Medicare Supplemental Insurance
Elderly Couple Paying Medical Bills
Paying Medical Bills When on Medicare
A woman looking at Medicare paperwork.
Medicare Part B Coverage Advice
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
🎉
🎄