Puppy With Blood in its Stool

There are a number of reasons your puppy may have blood in its stool, some more serious than others. This is a guide about a puppy with blood in its stool.

November 9, 2015 Flag

My puppy just went to the vet and got his vaccinations and got wormed. He had runny poo for a awhile. Now he has hard poo, with blood in it. What does it mean?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Suggest you immediately contact your vet re this new condition; your puppy may need help now.

My 10 week old puppy is pooing and has blood in it

June 6, 2016 Flag

I recently got this 2 month old puppy who got her parvovirus vaccine and canine distemper andenovirus Type 2 parainfluenza vaccine and she's had kind of watery poop. This morning she had a little bit of blood in her poop. Is this normal? She's acting fine and active. I recently switched her food suddenly because she ran out so I had to run to the store.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A little pappy hase little blood in stool is this normal?

I have a 2 months old cocker spaniel. He had his physical at his vet's clinic and also a stool exam. He is update on his puppy's treatments. I noticed this morning he dropped a little bit of blood after he finished his poop. He is very active and happy and he loves to eat. My mother is giving him I believe to much wet food with his dry. Can this cause that? Dry Diamond for small breed. Wet lamb and rice or chicken and rice. One big teaspoon with around 1/3 cup dry. Please help!

October 24, 2016 Flag

Last Tuesday I gave my puppy her 5 in 1 shot and by Wednesday she could barely move and all she could do was poop and it had blood in it. Now it is 6 days later and I got Parvo Be Gone in mail. Now she eats like a horse, but still her stool is bloody. What is wrong with her?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

has your puppy been wormed by a veterinarian? Hookworms can cause blood in the stool. I have seem over the counter wormers cause problems with puppies so see your vet.

January 31, 2016 Flag

I have a 6 week old Staffy x American Bull dog. She had her first set of shots and worming the day I got her. It has been 3 days since then and I had been noticing a little bit of blood that comes out of her bum, but only after a poo (a really runny one). I took her to the vet and they said it's not parvo which was relieving, but they said I have to change her diet and only feed her dry biscuits and water. The problem is she won't eat the food the vet gave me. She hasn't eaten all day and I am getting worried. She is still playing and is full of energy. I just want her to eat something. Does anyone know of something else I can give her that will stop blood coming out? The vets aren't open all weekend and I need help know. Please.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

By the way, if your puppy seems really hungry you can start supplementing with a little high quality soft food. But wait until the diarrhea clears up. A puppy's main food at this age is its mother's milk.

And I shouldn't rant here, but will- this is indicative of the "puppy mill" style of puppy breeding. The pups are introduced to soft food as early as 3 weeks of age, are on nothing but cheap puppy chow by six weeks of age. At six weeks of age they are considered "weaned" and sold, even if the puppies have to be forcibly removed from the mom who still has milk. The breeders do this because they make their profit faster if the pups are out the door quicker.

Puppies naturally don't even start eating soft food (the mom controls this) until about six weeks, so there's no doubt that feeding cheap processed puppy chow from 3 weeks on can lead to digestive problems.

Here is a good article on why you should leave a puppy with its mom longer: http://www.snow  er-litter-mates/

February 15, 2014 Flag

Why is my 2 week old puppy pooping blood?

By Bryce

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It could be worms, or more devastatingly, parvo. Take your puppy to a vet immediately!

Get it to the vet ASAP!

October 27, 2015 Flag

My 16 week old puppy is having bloddy mucus after she poops the last 24 hours. What's going on?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Could be many possibilities. Please take your puppy to your vet ASAP to identify and treat the problem. The longer you wait, the more expensive the problem may become and the more your puppy suffers.

DCA is absolutely right. This should never be left.

December 9, 2012 Flag

I have a 6 week old Pit Bull mix puppy. She was the biggest of the litter and is huge compared to her sister. Since yesterday I have found blood in and around her stool when she goes to the bathroom. She is still energetic and playful. Shes eating and drinking OK. What could be causing this and how can I make her better? She is my daughter's puppy and it will destroy her if she comes home and it's dead. Please help.

By Crystal

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This puppy should never have left it's mother until eight weeks old. And the answer to this very urgent question could have been for you to take the puppy to your veterinarian or have them come to you before the poor little creature dies.

What is CS? It would be more helpful to spell out this item, rather than leave people wondering! I can't figure it out, and it's possible the person you're trying to help can't either! I do agree that the puppy should see the vet immediately! I can't understand why people waste time asking questions online, when the animal's life may be in danger! Would you do that with your child?

February 6, 2011 Flag

I have a 10 week old Maltipoo puppy. I noticed on Friday (could of been there before that, but that was the 1st time I saw it) that she had blood in her stool. Her stools have been loose, somewhat watery. Not all the way runny diarrhea, but not hard easy to clean up poos either. The blood is not a lot, yet it is still there and scaring me!

I got her 2 weeks ago and she was eating Royal Canine puppy food. The breeder gave me a little baggie of it. I got her some Nutro puppy food and mixed them. She didn't want it (more than once she wasn't going for it.) I took the Nutro back and got Science Diet puppy food.

So at this point I had 3 kinds of food mixed together and have for probably the last week got her on just the Science Diet. She does not seem to care much for it still. I have been also putting a minimal amount (heaping teaspoon maybe) of some wet food in it to get her to eat it. She does like my adult dog's dry food though!

So she does have an appetite, she is definitely "not" lethargic, and she can be megaplayful at times during the day. She is drinking water too.

Oh yeah, also, she had her 1st round of shots almost 2 weeks ago and her 2nd deworming.

I don't have the money for a vet! Please help.

By Lori from CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Switching dog food can give a dog diaharia so maybe try to keep her on a certain one for a while se if it helps if not go get her checked out

If your really worried pay the 18 dollars. But the dog may get used to the new diet if you let it.And if your REALLY worried find another vet.It is probably fine though

September 8, 2015 Flag

I have just got a 2 1/2 month old Teddy Bear puppy, she is a cross between a Bichon Frise and a Shih Tzu. Since she arrived she has had really runny stools and there is blood in it, is this normal?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Obviously something is wrong! Please take her to your vet as she may have an internal infection which needs medical treatment that you cannot provide.

Blood in the stool may indicate hookworms.

October 21, 2015 Flag

I'm out of town on vacation and decided to make a split second decision on getting a new puppy. She is a 9 week old black Lab mixed with a Cattle dog. Her first stool was normal and hard, but the next 2 have been bloody mucousy diarrhea.

The lady who I purchased her from said she has not had her puppy shots yet, but she has had 1 round of deworming done. I changed her from Pedigree Puppy to Puppy Chow because that is all that the store had late last night. She is acting fine has energy and is playing well still. I am just curious on what I can do for her. I can't get her to a vet till I get back home in one week. The other puppies from the litter are fine though and are having no problems. Could she just be home sick or stressed from the long car ride?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The safest way to be sure if the dog is ok is to see a vet. A wee dog like this may go down hill quickly. Also do your home work on what quality food that you should be feeding it as this can make all the difference to what sort of poo it is passing.

First of all, you switched foods from one junk brand to another. Second, the dog's whole life just suddenly changed, so stress could certainly be an issue.

As long as she is playing and active she's probably ok for now, but make the vet appointment by phone before you actually arrive home.

If she starts to act lethargic, staggers, seizures or her condition worsens you will need to find an emergency vet in the area you are vacationing.

January 3, 2015 Flag

My 6 month old puppy has had blood in his runny stool after 5-6 times eating some pan fried pork with his dry food (not sure if related).
Because he is as playful and energetic as ever, I'm not worried that he is seriously sick. Also I'm not worried about Parvo as he has been vaccinated for it.
I fried the ground pork after I noticed him throwing up every bit of raw ground pork he eats, but now I notice blood in his stool.
Any ideas what could be the cause of this "bloody diarrhea"?

By Ken

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The puppy's blood in stool could be many possibilities. Please take him to your vet for a diagnosis and treatment.

First of all, don't feed any animal raw pork. Raw pork has parasites known as "pork worm" that need to be killed by cooking. This may be the source of your problem. Take the puppy to the vet for a stool sample culture which will no doubt identify your problem.

February 12, 2013 Flag

In August 2012 my Bishapoo had puppies. On 10/30 they got their shots. I have given the pups to 2 of my friends. This morning 1 of them called me and said they took the dog out to walk. The dog had a solid bowel movement and then continued to walk and tried to have another bowel movement and nothing came out. It was still walking and my friend noticed that there were blood drops (a little) coming out of rectum. I said bring the dog to me. Now I am going to watch and see what's going on. What do you suggest if I see some more blood? I have a mobile vet, but would first like to see what's up and if it is something I can do without having to pay the vet. The dog is still very active and has a good appetite and is very playful. We have play days and he comes and plays with his mom and dad once a month. His gums are bright pink.

By Kelly

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You better get pups Dr. & fast. If had no shots could be anything sounds like parvo. It can kill animal. Puppies need all shots like children need theirs. Good Luck. Cookie17

This is my post. My puppy was seen and had stool was tested he is fine, and for those who think I am a dummy. The dogs shots are up to par. Some of the people who respond to some of the questions asked on here try to belittle people and I my self find that very irrating. I wanted my female pup to experince a liter. She gets to play with her kids on play dates and they have a ball. So keep your negative comments in your head I don't want to read them. If you have nothing postive or nice to say then don't post on this feed. Kelly

November 24, 2013 Flag

My 6 week old puppy is pooping blood. He just pooped and a little blood came out with some gel like liquid. I just took him to the vet like 2 days ago for 6 weeks shots and for some reddish spots he has on his skin and the vet said that over all he was in good health. He is on medication because of the red spots he has. Could the medication be causing this?

By Karen S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to call your Vet right away! Your puppy in very young and vulnerable to many possible problems. Only your Vet will be able to tell what is going on. But waiting is very dangerous for your puppy.

Talk to your Veterinarian.

October 17, 2013 Flag

I had my puppy to the vet yesterday. This visit was for her second round of shots, and he checked her for worms. He said she was clean. Today she has blood in her stool. I was wondering if it could be caused by him checking her for worms?

By S. Hicks

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Before you panic .... do you feed her fresh red meat? Also give it a couple of days to see if it settles down. Was she dripping blood or was it just within the stool?

Sometimes what you feed her can result in discolouration of the poop. Keep a close check on this - if there is a dramatic change then go to the vet.

Ask your vet how they checked her for worms. If you are not happy change your vet.

November 4, 2008 Flag

My 12 week old puppy has stool with a gel-like look and blood in it. Can you tell me what that is and the cause?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 6, 2011 Flag

My seven week old puppy has not yet had all her shots. Now she has bloody stool why could this be?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 13, 2013
young medical professional holding sign- Blood Donors Wanted
Donating Blood
pug looking sad.
Dog With Soft Stool
Blood Oranges on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Blood Oranges
A bottle of hydrogen peroxide, great to use to remove blood stains.
Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 7:50:30 PM on 10.0.2.145 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.