Puppy With Blood in its Stool

There are a number of reasons your puppy may have blood in its stool, some more serious than others. This is a guide about a puppy with blood in its stool.

Photo of a sad puppy laying on the floor.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 6, 2016 Flag

I recently got this 2 month old puppy who got her parvovirus vaccine and canine distemper andenovirus Type 2 parainfluenza vaccine and she's had kind of watery poop. This morning she had a little bit of blood in her poop. Is this normal? She's acting fine and active. I recently switched her food suddenly because she ran out so I had to run to the store.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This came from switching the food. If it was the vaccines she'd be running a temperature and showing other signs like shaking or lethargy.

Now you know you need to stick with this food. Try buying a lot of it and switching it to airtight containers.

My 14 week old puppy has very soft and mostly runny stools with quite a bit of blood at times. I water down her Royal canin junior and sometimes put bits of chicken in it to encourage her to eat. She is a very lively Pomeranian and eats a lot of grass and bits when off if the lead.

November 9, 2015 Flag

My puppy just went to the vet and got his vaccinations and got wormed. He had runny poo for a awhile. Now he has hard poo, with blood in it. What does it mean?

Best Answer

Suggest you immediately contact your vet re this new condition; your puppy may need help now.

January 31, 2016 Flag

I have a 6 week old Staffy x American Bull dog. She had her first set of shots and worming the day I got her. It has been 3 days since then and I had been noticing a little bit of blood that comes out of her bum, but only after a poo (a really runny one). I took her to the vet and they said it's not parvo which was relieving, but they said I have to change her diet and only feed her dry biscuits and water. The problem is she won't eat the food the vet gave me. She hasn't eaten all day and I am getting worried. She is still playing and is full of energy. I just want her to eat something. Does anyone know of something else I can give her that will stop blood coming out? The vets aren't open all weekend and I need help know. Please.

By the way, if your puppy seems really hungry you can start supplementing with a little high quality soft food. But wait until the diarrhea clears up. A puppy's main food at this age is its mother's milk.

And I shouldn't rant here, but will- this is indicative of the "puppy mill" style of puppy breeding. The pups are introduced to soft food as early as 3 weeks of age, are on nothing but cheap puppy chow by six weeks of age. At six weeks of age they are considered "weaned" and sold, even if the puppies have to be forcibly removed from the mom who still has milk. The breeders do this because they make their profit faster if the pups are out the door quicker.

Puppies naturally don't even start eating soft food (the mom controls this) until about six weeks, so there's no doubt that feeding cheap processed puppy chow from 3 weeks on can lead to digestive problems.

Here is a good article on why you should leave a puppy with its mom longer: http://www.snowdog.guru/true-cost-early-removal-puppy-mother-litter-mates/

Read More Answers...

October 27, 2015 Flag

My 16 week old puppy is having bloddy mucus after she poops the last 24 hours. What's going on?

DCA is absolutely right. This should never be left.

You need to see a Vet to eliminate Parvo virus. If it is parvo, treatment must begin immediately for your pup to have a chance to make it.

Read More Answers...

September 8, 2015 Flag

I have just got a 2 1/2 month old Teddy Bear puppy, she is a cross between a Bichon Frise and a Shih Tzu. Since she arrived she has had really runny stools and there is blood in it, is this normal?

Blood in the stool may indicate hookworms.

Of course, you should take the wee dog to a vet to get a correct opinion but firstly a question. Do you feed the dog fresh or dried liver? This food breaks down to make very dark stools. I no longer feed my dogs this meat. But please - start your dogs life in a loving , caring way by taking it to an expert. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

February 15, 2014 Flag

Why is my 2 week old puppy pooping blood?

By Bryce

Best Answer

It could be worms, or more devastatingly, parvo. Take your puppy to a vet immediately!

Get it to the vet ASAP!

October 21, 2015 Flag

I'm out of town on vacation and decided to make a split second decision on getting a new puppy. She is a 9 week old black Lab mixed with a Cattle dog. Her first stool was normal and hard, but the next 2 have been bloody mucousy diarrhea.

The lady who I purchased her from said she has not had her puppy shots yet, but she has had 1 round of deworming done. I changed her from Pedigree Puppy to Puppy Chow because that is all that the store had late last night. She is acting fine has energy and is playing well still. I am just curious on what I can do for her. I can't get her to a vet till I get back home in one week. The other puppies from the litter are fine though and are having no problems. Could she just be home sick or stressed from the long car ride?

The safest way to be sure if the dog is ok is to see a vet. A wee dog like this may go down hill quickly. Also do your home work on what quality food that you should be feeding it as this can make all the difference to what sort of poo it is passing.

First of all, you switched foods from one junk brand to another. Second, the dog's whole life just suddenly changed, so stress could certainly be an issue.

As long as she is playing and active she's probably ok for now, but make the vet appointment by phone before you actually arrive home.

If she starts to act lethargic, staggers, seizures or her condition worsens you will need to find an emergency vet in the area you are vacationing.

December 9, 2012 Flag

I have a 6 week old Pit Bull mix puppy. She was the biggest of the litter and is huge compared to her sister. Since yesterday I have found blood in and around her stool when she goes to the bathroom. She is still energetic and playful. Shes eating and drinking OK. What could be causing this and how can I make her better? She is my daughter's puppy and it will destroy her if she comes home and it's dead. Please help.

By Crystal

What is CS? It would be more helpful to spell out this item, rather than leave people wondering! I can't figure it out, and it's possible the person you're trying to help can't either! I do agree that the puppy should see the vet immediately! I can't understand why people waste time asking questions online, when the animal's life may be in danger! Would you do that with your child?

Are you feeding it red meat or dried liver? - as this could be the cause - a vet would be the best option.

Read More Answers...

January 3, 2015 Flag

My 6 month old puppy has had blood in his runny stool after 5-6 times eating some pan fried pork with his dry food (not sure if related).
              Because he is as playful and energetic as ever, I'm not worried that he is seriously sick. Also I'm not worried about Parvo as he has been vaccinated for it.
              I fried the ground pork after I noticed him throwing up every bit of raw ground pork he eats, but now I notice blood in his stool.
              Any ideas what could be the cause of this "bloody diarrhea"?

By Ken

First of all, don't feed any animal raw pork. Raw pork has parasites known as "pork worm" that need to be killed by cooking. This may be the source of your problem. Take the puppy to the vet for a stool sample culture which will no doubt identify your problem.

Has he had all 4 booster shots at 2 weeks apart?

Read More Answers...

February 6, 2011 Flag

I have a 10 week old Maltipoo puppy. I noticed on Friday (could of been there before that, but that was the 1st time I saw it) that she had blood in her stool. Her stools have been loose, somewhat watery. Not all the way runny diarrhea, but not hard easy to clean up poos either. The blood is not a lot, yet it is still there and scaring me!

I got her 2 weeks ago and she was eating Royal Canine puppy food. The breeder gave me a little baggie of it. I got her some Nutro puppy food and mixed them. She didn't want it (more than once she wasn't going for it.) I took the Nutro back and got Science Diet puppy food.

So at this point I had 3 kinds of food mixed together and have for probably the last week got her on just the Science Diet. She does not seem to care much for it still. I have been also putting a minimal amount (heaping teaspoon maybe) of some wet food in it to get her to eat it. She does like my adult dog's dry food though!

So she does have an appetite, she is definitely "not" lethargic, and she can be megaplayful at times during the day. She is drinking water too.

Oh yeah, also, she had her 1st round of shots almost 2 weeks ago and her 2nd deworming.

I don't have the money for a vet! Please help.

By Lori from CA

I just got a puppy shes 8 1/2 weeks old. I had her since Thursday Feb. 17 2010. The lady was feeding her her own brand of dog food, never gave us any to bring home. She wanted us to pay 18 bucks for a bag that had corn wheat, hay in it all the stuff dogs aren't supposed to have. I brought her home no problems and then yesterday night she started with the diarrhea, wasn't bad and then it got worse. Now it's really running and very very loose. Then I noticed she had blood in her stool and then the throwing up started.

Now, no vets are open here until Tuesday so I tried Pepto Bismol. A small does didn't work. then I tried to bump the dose up a bit, didn't work. Then I tried Imodium that didn't work, and then Gravol childrens for the throwing up. Didn't help. I tried a little bit of cheese that didn't seem to help. Shes not lethargic and is drinking lots anyone know what I can do until Tuesday? I am really worried. Please help. She did have her 1st set of shots and her de-worming Feb. 8th and I got her Feb. 17 can it be from the de-worming or from the long car ride and stress?

I am feeding her blue buffalo Dog food supposed to be all natural with no corn, wheat all the other crap that dogs aren't supposed to have.

Switching dog food can give a dog diaharia so maybe try to keep her on a certain one for a while se if it helps if not go get her checked out

Read More Answers...

November 24, 2013 Flag

My 6 week old puppy is pooping blood. He just pooped and a little blood came out with some gel like liquid. I just took him to the vet like 2 days ago for 6 weeks shots and for some reddish spots he has on his skin and the vet said that over all he was in good health. He is on medication because of the red spots he has. Could the medication be causing this?

By Karen S.

You need to call your Vet right away! Your puppy in very young and vulnerable to many possible problems. Only your Vet will be able to tell what is going on. But waiting is very dangerous for your puppy.

Talk to your Veterinarian.

Load More
              Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 13, 2013
              young medical professional holding sign- Blood Donors Wanted
              Donating Blood
              pug looking sad.
              Dog With Soft Stool
              Blood Oranges on Cutting Board
              Recipes Using Blood Oranges
              A bottle of hydrogen peroxide, great to use to remove blood stains.
              Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric
              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:06:17 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 857 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.