Puppy With Blood in its Stool

There are a number of reasons your puppy may have blood in its stool, some more serious than others. This is a guide about a puppy with blood in its stool.

Photo of a sad puppy laying on the floor.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a 6 week old Staffy x American Bull dog. She had her first set of shots and worming the day I got her. It has been 3 days since then and I had been noticing a little bit of blood that comes out of her bum, but only after a poo (a really runny one). I took her to the vet and they said it's not parvo which was relieving, but they said I have to change her diet and only feed her dry biscuits and water. The problem is she won't eat the food the vet gave me. She hasn't eaten all day and I am getting worried. She is still playing and is full of energy. I just want her to eat something. Does anyone know of something else I can give her that will stop blood coming out? The vets aren't open all weekend and I need help know. Please.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

And I shouldn't rant here, but will- this is indicative of the "puppy mill" style of puppy breeding. The pups are introduced to soft food as early as 3 weeks of age, are on nothing but cheap puppy chow by six weeks of age. At six weeks of age they are considered "weaned" and sold, even if the puppies have to be forcibly removed from the mom who still has milk. The breeders do this because they make their profit faster if the pups are out the door quicker.

Puppies naturally don't even start eating soft food (the mom controls this) until about six weeks, so there's no doubt that feeding cheap processed puppy chow from 3 weeks on can lead to digestive problems.

Here is a good article on why you should leave a puppy with its mom longer: http://www.snowdog.guru/true-cost-early-removal-puppy-mother-litter-mates/

Read More Answers...

My puppy just went to the vet and got his vaccinations and got wormed. He had runny poo for a awhile. Now he has hard poo, with blood in it. What does it mean?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Suggest you immediately contact your vet re this new condition; your puppy may need help now.

My 16 week old puppy is having bloddy mucus after she poops the last 24 hours. What's going on?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to see a Vet to eliminate Parvo virus. If it is parvo, treatment must begin immediately for your pup to have a chance to make it.

Read More Answers...

I have just got a 2 1/2 month old Teddy Bear puppy, she is a cross between a Bichon Frise and a Shih Tzu. Since she arrived she has had really runny stools and there is blood in it, is this normal?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Of course, you should take the wee dog to a vet to get a correct opinion but firstly a question. Do you feed the dog fresh or dried liver? This food breaks down to make very dark stools. I no longer feed my dogs this meat. But please - start your dogs life in a loving , caring way by taking it to an expert. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

I'm out of town on vacation and decided to make a split second decision on getting a new puppy. She is a 9 week old black Lab mixed with a Cattle dog. Her first stool was normal and hard, but the next 2 have been bloody mucousy diarrhea.

The lady who I purchased her from said she has not had her puppy shots yet, but she has had 1 round of deworming done. I changed her from Pedigree Puppy to Puppy Chow because that is all that the store had late last night. She is acting fine has energy and is playing well still. I am just curious on what I can do for her. I can't get her to a vet till I get back home in one week. The other puppies from the litter are fine though and are having no problems. Could she just be home sick or stressed from the long car ride?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all, you switched foods from one junk brand to another. Second, the dog's whole life just suddenly changed, so stress could certainly be an issue.

As long as she is playing and active she's probably ok for now, but make the vet appointment by phone before you actually arrive home.

If she starts to act lethargic, staggers, seizures or her condition worsens you will need to find an emergency vet in the area you are vacationing.

Read More Answers...

Why is my 2 week old puppy pooping blood?

By Bryce

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
            Best Answer

It could be worms, or more devastatingly, parvo. Take your puppy to a vet immediately!

Read More Answers...

I have a 6 week old Pit Bull mix puppy. She was the biggest of the litter and is huge compared to her sister. Since yesterday I have found blood in and around her stool when she goes to the bathroom. She is still energetic and playful. Shes eating and drinking OK. What could be causing this and how can I make her better? She is my daughter's puppy and it will destroy her if she comes home and it's dead. Please help.

By Crystal

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you feeding it red meat or dried liver? - as this could be the cause - a vet would be the best option.

Read More Answers...

I have a 10 week old Maltipoo puppy. I noticed on Friday (could of been there before that, but that was the 1st time I saw it) that she had blood in her stool. Her stools have been loose, somewhat watery. Not all the way runny diarrhea, but not hard easy to clean up poos either. The blood is not a lot, yet it is still there and scaring me!

I got her 2 weeks ago and she was eating Royal Canine puppy food. The breeder gave me a little baggie of it. I got her some Nutro puppy food and mixed them. She didn't want it (more than once she wasn't going for it.) I took the Nutro back and got Science Diet puppy food.

So at this point I had 3 kinds of food mixed together and have for probably the last week got her on just the Science Diet. She does not seem to care much for it still. I have been also putting a minimal amount (heaping teaspoon maybe) of some wet food in it to get her to eat it. She does like my adult dog's dry food though!

So she does have an appetite, she is definitely "not" lethargic, and she can be megaplayful at times during the day. She is drinking water too.

Oh yeah, also, she had her 1st round of shots almost 2 weeks ago and her 2nd deworming.

I don't have the money for a vet! Please help.

By Lori from CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just got a puppy shes 8 1/2 weeks old. I had her since Thursday Feb. 17 2010. The lady was feeding her her own brand of dog food, never gave us any to bring home. She wanted us to pay 18 bucks for a bag that had corn wheat, hay in it all the stuff dogs aren't supposed to have. I brought her home no problems and then yesterday night she started with the diarrhea, wasn't bad and then it got worse. Now it's really running and very very loose. Then I noticed she had blood in her stool and then the throwing up started.

Now, no vets are open here until Tuesday so I tried Pepto Bismol. A small does didn't work. then I tried to bump the dose up a bit, didn't work. Then I tried Imodium that didn't work, and then Gravol childrens for the throwing up. Didn't help. I tried a little bit of cheese that didn't seem to help. Shes not lethargic and is drinking lots anyone know what I can do until Tuesday? I am really worried. Please help. She did have her 1st set of shots and her de-worming Feb. 8th and I got her Feb. 17 can it be from the de-worming or from the long car ride and stress?

I am feeding her blue buffalo Dog food supposed to be all natural with no corn, wheat all the other crap that dogs aren't supposed to have.

Read More Answers...

My 6 week old puppy is pooping blood. He just pooped and a little blood came out with some gel like liquid. I just took him to the vet like 2 days ago for 6 weeks shots and for some reddish spots he has on his skin and the vet said that over all he was in good health. He is on medication because of the red spots he has. Could the medication be causing this?

By Karen S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Talk to your Veterinarian.

Read More Answers...

In August 2012 my Bishapoo had puppies. On 10/30 they got their shots. I have given the pups to 2 of my friends. This morning 1 of them called me and said they took the dog out to walk. The dog had a solid bowel movement and then continued to walk and tried to have another bowel movement and nothing came out. It was still walking and my friend noticed that there were blood drops (a little) coming out of rectum. I said bring the dog to me. Now I am going to watch and see what's going on. What do you suggest if I see some more blood? I have a mobile vet, but would first like to see what's up and if it is something I can do without having to pay the vet. The dog is still very active and has a good appetite and is very playful. We have play days and he comes and plays with his mom and dad once a month. His gums are bright pink.

By Kelly

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've had 4 different dogs that had blood or something that looked like it in their stool. The 1st was a golden retriever that had chewed on a stick when she was outside as a 5 month old pup. They had me feed her only oatmeal & small amounts of pepto 3 times a day.

The 2nd was an adult Shepherd/Rot mix. I had changed his dog food to a brand my vet said was about like feeding him cardboard & made him very sick. He had to have antibiotics, cooked boneless chicken & only oatmeal for 8 days, but was fine. I believe there's a way to order the correct one online through the right site for an intestinal infection & if that's what it is they do not behave the same. You can tell they're sick by how they act & will have tender spots in their stomach when you gently press & feel it for hard spots, but you have to know what to feel for. Your vet might show you.

The third is a 9 month old pug that got into something & it looked like blood, but it wasn't. It wasn't anything dangerous, but it gave her an upset tummy. She had to have small amounts of pepto, oatmeal & her food with each meal.

The 4th is an 11 week old designer teacup pup that spent her 1st night in the bag I carry her in when we go for car rides to stop her accidents. Since that was the first time she was stressed since I've had her (only whining a little because she was still next to me), I'm changing her dog food, & her stool is loose, I'm giving her oatmeal sweetened with sugar. She doesn't act ill & still very playful, but I'll keep a close eye on her to see if she needs to go to her vet. It will likely only be a phone call to him after my exam of her. He'll have me bring in a sample if I can't find anything in her stool, but given my experience & what to do first, I'll wait until later today if she needs to go.

I've trained dogs for just over 7 years. I've learned that knowing the dog, knowing the changes in food, water, or environment is very important! I've kept some of the dogs I've trained & all that I've rescued at my home. If you do change dog food, do it very slowly! The water doesn't have to be changed slowly unless it's from well water to city water, but even different well waters need to be changed at a pace.

If you have a close relationship with your pup, you'll know if the pup is acting sick. The first thing to do has always been to feed them old fashion oatmeal cooked slightly & sweetened with sugar if they won't eat it without. It helps coat their intestines & pass things. Always trust your 1st gut instinct or act if you even question whether they need to go to the vet or not!

As for the negativity you feel has been put on here, the individuals that I read the responses to are their opinions, but it's your dog. You should know it well enough to know when to seek medical care for it. I think you asked a great question! If people ask those questions & get the answers they need, they will help someone else too! If someone doesn't ask the questions for someone educated enough to answer the person asking could lose their best friend (dog) & others don't get the information either. Great question!

Read More Answers...

I had my puppy to the vet yesterday. This visit was for her second round of shots, and he checked her for worms. He said she was clean. Today she has blood in her stool. I was wondering if it could be caused by him checking her for worms?

By S. Hicks

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ask your vet how they checked her for worms. If you are not happy change your vet.

Read More Answers...

My 6 month old puppy has had blood in his runny stool after 5-6 times eating some pan fried pork with his dry food (not sure if related).
            Because he is as playful and energetic as ever, I'm not worried that he is seriously sick. Also I'm not worried about Parvo as he has been vaccinated for it.
            I fried the ground pork after I noticed him throwing up every bit of raw ground pork he eats, but now I notice blood in his stool.
            Any ideas what could be the cause of this "bloody diarrhea"?

By Ken

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all, don't feed any animal raw pork. Raw pork has parasites known as "pork worm" that need to be killed by cooking. This may be the source of your problem. Take the puppy to the vet for a stool sample culture which will no doubt identify your problem.

Read More Answers...

My 12 week old puppy has stool with a gel-like look and blood in it. Can you tell me what that is and the cause?

Gigi from Oberlin, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sometimes it is because of new food. My puppy eats my older dogs food alot and at first he had bloody stools too (not very nice to clean up either). And the same for the older dog he ate the puppy food. They were fine after a few times. But it may not be that.

Read More Answers...

My seven week old puppy has not yet had all her shots. Now she has bloody stool why could this be?

By Marceia from Darby, PA

Puppy with Blood in Its Stool

Do not vaccinate. You never vaccinate when not well. It is likely the pup has worms. Food grade diatomaceous earth will do beautifully if that is the problem. Diet, raw. No grocery store canned and bagged poison. Read what is in commercial dog food. Build immune system do not tear it down. (11/23/2010)

By muttmom

Puppy with Blood in Its Stool

You need to have your dog checked by a vet ASAP. (11/23/2010)

By patches

Puppy with Blood in Its Stool

Please get to the Veterinarian ASAP. Blood in the stool is an indication that your puppy can possibly have parvo, which can be deadly. Good luck. (11/24/2010)

By K9cats

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My puppy is 4 months old and has had all her shots and this morning I took her out and she has blood in her stool. She ate some cookies that my son dropped on the floor, could that be it or a change in her diet?

Vicki from Exeter, Missouri

Editor's Note: If the blood in his stool persists you should take her to a vet as soon as you can.

Puppy With Blood In Its Stool

Call your vet today, and don't wait for responses here. Blood in stool is dangerous for all pets. (04/12/2007)

By sylviecyn

Puppy With Blood In Its Stool

OK, everyone, I've worked at a vet clinic for four years, and I have to tell you blood in stool is not as serious in dogs as it is in people. In fact it's very common. When dogs get stressed (boarding, new member in a household, absence of a member of the household or even a change in environment or food) they show it through a change in their bowel movements. Cats do this too by peeing outside the litter box. The blood found in the stool is caused by the straining of the stomach and can be fixed with a prescription for Metronidazole.

I know when people see blood in an unvaccinated puppy red flags go off saying parvo! But they fail to mention the other symptoms of parvo such as acting lethargic, vomiting, and a loss in appetite. Also people who have worked around dogs who have been diagnosed with parvo say that there is a distinct smell. And sadly the puppies with parvo carry this look in their eyes like they have just been beaten. If it is parvo, then there is unfortunately very little hope for the dog, and most vets will recommend putting the dog to sleep.

With a puppy of eight weeks old is probably safe from parvo, if the mother was vaccinated. Through nursing and umbilical cord the puppies gain some of the mother's immunities. However, these immunities are not prominent and I recommend scheduling a visit with a vet after getting any new pet.

Important! Parvo is a virus. and if you have a dog with parvo and they use the bathroom outside then the soil becomes contaminated for up to 2 years. So if you've lost a puppy to parvo, then you don't need to introduce another unvaccinated dog or puppy into your home for two years. (08/19/2007)

By Riley

Puppy With Blood In Its Stool

P.S. Most vets don't honor shots given by a breeder, where I work there is a 12 year old kid who breeds his dogs and sells them on the internet. Anyone can be a "Breeder". (08/19/2007)

By Riley

Puppy With Blood In Its Stool

Hi everyone. We are going through the same thing with our 2 month old Lab, the bloody runny poop.It all started after his first shots. After spending at least 800 dollars in two weeks out of sheer panic and everyone screaming "parvo" and a vet very willing to feed into our fears we have calmed down a bit.

I have talked to numerous puppy parents and every single puppy has had the same issues and Nutro Sensitive tummy seems to be the biggest help for our little Harley. He's taking some antibiotics for his little inflamed colon and we have made progress with the consistency of his poop. I definitely agree, test him for all parasites, etc., but sometimes it's fine tuning the diet for their little bellies. They go through a lot all at once with first shots, deworming, etc. If the dog is eating and drinking and playing then chances are "really good it is not parvo". Brown rice, plain boiled chicken mixed into the Nutro will help too. Good luck. It's funny how a good poop can be the best news ever! (12/25/2007)

By ejules00

RE: Puppy With Blood In Its Stool

Puppy With Blood In Its Stool

If youR pup has blood in their stool, just as every one else said take your baby to the vet to get it checked just in case if its any thing serious. One really good medicine that works on them when they have loose stool and they don't really want to eat for what ever reason, is Amforol. This medicine is kind of like Pepto Bismol for humans. Still take your puppy to the vet for a check up. (02/24/2008)

By Emanuel

Puppy With Blood In Its Stool

I took my puppy to the vet that day and he ended up having giardiasis. (05/31/2008)

By Dani

Puppy with Blood in Its Stool

Also just because a young puppy has had 1 or 2 parvo shots that does not mean that it will not get parvo. If a puppy is exposed to parvo that young, even if it has had it's first shots, it probably hasn't built up enough immunity to the virus to fight it off. I'm not a vet, but I am just talking from research and experience. (10/29/2009)

By sophiejane

Puppy with Blood in Its Stool

I myself raise Pug puppies and have run into this problem here and there. In my own experience when a puppy has had blood or mucus in the stool it has been coccidia. This is very common in young puppies when they are under stress, such as leaving mommy or going to a new home. It is always a good idea to do a parvo test just to rule it out (the cost for the test is around $40). Revival animal clinic has a medicine that is less costly to treat coccidia, it is $24 and I have had luck with it in the past. (10/29/2009)

By sophiejane

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
            Load More
            Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 13, 2013
            young medical professional holding sign- Blood Donors Wanted
            Donating Blood
            pug looking sad.
            Dog With Soft Stool
            Blood Oranges on Cutting Board
            Recipes Using Blood Oranges
            A bottle of hydrogen peroxide, great to use to remove blood stains.
            Removing Blood Stains from Clothing and Fabric
            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:05:19 PM on 10.0.1.167 in 381 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.