Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Moving and Leaving The Cockroaches Behind

We are moving in a week and there are roaches everywhere. How do I stop them from going with us?

By purcellj09/07/2013

I'm not moving or anything but we moved in to what we thought was bug free. Saw signs that they had been here but was told that it has been sprayed recently. Our old place was bad but not this bad and we've been battling them since.

Something that I read online on a homemade remedy for a roach trap is to get a few quart bell jars or larger. Put one part a fruit berry juice (not anything with citric acid) fill the jar 3/4 full with water and then use pratrolium jelly one the inside of the opening just above the water line and place the jar in a well ventilated area and it can draw the roaches by the smell.

Change the fluid ever week and discard the dead ones that are in it. I'm starting week 3 and I see a lot less bugs, but the website said it could take some time depending on how bad the infestation is. But the fist week every jar had some. The second week they where full so I am on my third week have noticed few overall but the are still out and mostly the smaller ones. It's and ideal and see if it helps any.

By Shadowlord01/18/2012

A week is a little short. I've had roommates bring in roaches twice. Both times Combat Sorce Kill gel worked. I repeated treatment 2 weeks later. Electronics are trickier. I used to repair VCR's (roaches love them) and other electronics. The best method I've found is to spray the inside of a heavy trash bag with insecticide like pyretherins or permethrin and place your devices inside. Do not spray your electronics directly. Leave them sealed air tight for 48 hrs. In the winter place them out in a car or storage shed if it's below freezing. I once had a vcr come in with over 300 roaches inside, we got tired of counting. That was by far the worst I have ever seen but this method killed them all.

By Virginia [11]11/04/2009

Terdralynn is correct. Boric acid kills 100% of roaches and it's cheap. You can mix in a little powdered sugar if you want or even add some flour and make balls out of it.

The plain powder works really well because the roaches are like cats and clean themselves so they will ingest it and the rest of the colony will eat the dead body and kill themselves from the contamination. It is dangerous to pets and children so keep it away from them.

By Jonathan. (Guest Post)09/16/2008

UGH, I'm so frustrated. I recently moved from a roach infested apartment. I went from living alone to having 4 roommates in a big house. I took all the precautions I could, we bombed my apartment the day before I moved. Got rid of everything I didn't need (couches,microwave etc) I put my computer in a vacume suctioned bag and left it in there for a week after moving...set it up, and since then I have seen 5 roaches. 4 of them were small, and I killed them, but one of my roommates found a full size one in the kitchen last night!!! I don't know what I have to do now to alleviate this problem, I did put out some roach motels and some borax stuff...I'm screwed.

By dean (Guest Post)02/24/2008

I have roaches and were moving in one week to a roach free apartment and I'm scared of bringing roaches through my computer and x-box 360, but there to expensive to leave behind. What would I have to do to make sure there safe to bring with us.

By Caitlin (Guest Post)10/10/2007

I am moving from a cockroach apartment to a cockroach-free place in a few weeks. Our bugs arent bad...yet. We usually see two or 3 a night in the bathroom or kitchen. Our plan, since my roommate and I are only moving across town, is to place boxes in my truck AS WE PACK THEM, checking every item carefully for roaches, and then drive them across town as soon as we have a truckload. i.e. get everything bug free out of the house as soon as its ready to go. Hopefully this works.

We're throwing out the toaster and the microwave.

Editor's Note: They also hide in other electronics, radios, tvs, etc. We moved once from a cockroach house and watched the babies hatch from the radio for about a month afterward.

By Lindsay (Guest Post)02/02/2007

Bomb before you pack, after, and a third time in you're in the new place. Open up and check everything! Especially electronics!

By Brian W. (Guest Post)10/15/2005

Roaches and more importantly roach egg capsules are usually successfully transported to new living quarters inside of electrical appliances; toasters, microwaves, electric can openers, computers, TV's, the cable box. And you can't clean inside of those. So do all of the common sense things but in most cases you will transport some of them with you. Most people don't realize that pesticides do not kill the egg capsules that roaches produce. So best to use Maxforce or Combat every where and keep it fresh every 30 days. Good luck

By reddlb09/06/2005

When we moved into our first home I got up in the middle of the night, turned on the light and black things went everywhere. I used several professional companys with no luck. I asked my Daddy what to do and he said "Sister the only way to get rid of them and keep them gone is to put out Combat every 90 days."
I did and it's been 17 roach free years. I like the fact that they are also safe around my babies. (my dogs lol)
Good Luck

By Tina [1]09/05/2005

they love stacks of newspapers and paper grocery bags, so toss your collection, and start fresh.

By terry09/02/2005

When I moved from a place that was crawling with cockroaches, I sprayed an ant and roach killer along the sides on the inside of the boxes, then packed them. I made sure that all my food was placed in plastic containers, and I didn't spray the boxes it was going into. I surrounded the outsides of all the boxes with boric acid powder, and I left the boxes in the middle of the floor until we could move them the next morning. We didn't take one cockroach with us, and I haven't had cockroaches in 23 years. I also wouldn't take anything I didn't have to take, to reduce your chances of carrying anything. You may also want to put some boric acid powder in your new home (cupboards, where you'll put the fridge and stove, bathroom cabinets, etc.) just in case any escape your original efforts. Boric acid is the only thing I trust to get rid of roaches, and it's cheap.

TerryfromChilliOH

By Holly [350]09/01/2005

Nope, it wasn't borax, it was boric acid.

I was going to suggest you bug bomb the new place, too, but I would warn you there is a limit you will reach of the toxicity generated if you bomb the moving van and also the new place.

By Deborah Jones09/01/2005

After you've packed your truck, set off a "bug bomb" or two and seal the truck up overnight (don't drive the truck with a "bomb" going off!). That should kill any bugs that may be hiding in furniture or boxes. You'll probably have to repeat the process at your new place about a week later to take care of any new bugs that may hatch afterwards.

By brenda newton [6]08/31/2005

When we moved years ago, we had problems, also with a bug, NOT cockroaches. In order not to carry them with us, I washed everything and immediately packed it and took it out of the house NOW. It worked. Food... took cereal out of containers, put into new ziploc bags I had just bought....canned goods, washed the containers.

Tupperware worked great. I knew what was inside and it was good so I just washed the container and packed it immediately and got it out of our home ASAP.

Could you do something like that?