Moving and Leaving The Cockroaches Behind

Category Cockroaches
When leaving a home or apartment that had a cockroach infestation, you will need to be careful not to take them with you to your new residence. This is a guide about moving and leaving the cockroaches behind.

We are moving in a week and there are roaches everywhere. How do I stop them from going with us?

Best Answer

When I moved from a place that was crawling with cockroaches, I sprayed an ant and roach killer along the sides on the inside of the boxes, then packed them. I made sure that all my food was placed in plastic containers, and I didn't spray the boxes it was going into. I surrounded the outsides of all the boxes with boric acid powder, and I left the boxes in the middle of the floor until we could move them the next morning. We didn't take one cockroach with us, and I haven't had cockroaches in 23 years. I also wouldn't take anything I didn't have to take, to reduce your chances of carrying anything. You may also want to put some boric acid powder in your new home (cupboards, where you'll put the fridge and stove, bathroom cabinets, etc.) just in case any escape your original efforts. Boric acid is the only thing I trust to get rid of roaches, and it's cheap.

TerryfromChilliOH

Best Answer

Bomb before you pack, after, and a third time in you're in the new place. Open up and check everything! Especially electronics!

Best Answer

I am moving from a cockroach apartment to a cockroach-free place in a few weeks. Our bugs arent bad...yet. We usually see two or 3 a night in the bathroom or kitchen. Our plan, since my roommate and I are only moving across town, is to place boxes in my truck AS WE PACK THEM, checking every item carefully for roaches, and then drive them across town as soon as we have a truckload. i.e. get everything bug free out of the house as soon as its ready to go. Hopefully this works.

We're throwing out the toaster and the microwave.

Editor's Note: They also hide in other electronics, radios, tvs, etc. We moved once from a cockroach house and watched the babies hatch from the radio for about a month afterward.

Best Answer

Terdralynn is correct. Boric acid kills 100% of roaches and it's cheap. You can mix in a little powdered sugar if you want or even add some flour and make balls out of it.

The plain powder works really well because the roaches are like cats and clean themselves so they will ingest it and the rest of the colony will eat the dead body and kill themselves from the contamination. It is dangerous to pets and children so keep it away from them.

Anonymous

I had roaches in my old apartment about 8 months ago. We had an exterminator come in, and they were never a problem again. I just moved to a new apartment, and a few days in found a dead cockroach under the sink and one in the living room. I thought they had been dead for 8 months! Is this a huge problem, or are there just a couple of stragglers?

I have found baby roaches in and around the coffee maker and toaster do i need to toss those appliances or can they be cleaned. Thank you

Anonymous

So sealed in an airtight bag for 48 hours with pesticide? What about without?

I am moving in 8 days...i bought shipping barrels and filled them with pesticide powder or boric acid

Taking what i can save..i have the luxury of being able to leave them sealed for a few weeks...

In my place they are even in my bed..day bight it doesnt matter

Anonymous

How do I get rid of roaches that's in my electronics quickly

When packing boxes, if I taped the top and bottom flaps down as well as around the top and bottom, do you think that would keep the roaches out of the boxes until I move?

Not necessarily, Roaches eat cardboard, so they can eat thru the boxes. They can also already be inside the contents of the box.

Roaches eat paper and cardboard. They hide in folds of fabric. The best thing you can do is to unpack immediately and spray if you see any roaches

A lot of cardboard is still made with glue and roaches (and some other bugs) love this stuff!

When I have to pack boxes for temporary or long term storage I always sprinkle either Diatomaceous Earth (food grade only) or 20 Mule Team Borax in the bottom of the box and on top if possible.

It does not matter what you are storing as neither of these products will harm your items or any pets or humans (when used properly. If you are storing clothing then you may want to wash when you remove from storage - but you would do that anyway - right?

Here are links that will tell you about both of these products:

https://richsoi  aceous-earth.jsp

http://www.diyn  d-uses-for-borax

So the apartment I have been staying for the past year has had roaches and they've recently gotten worse. I can't seem to figure out how not to take them with me. They are popping up now more frequently in things like the bathroom and the kitchen. I am pitching the toaster, microwave, and anything opened.

Best Answer

Roaches are difficult to completely erradicate and require constant vigilance to remove. Unfortunately, no matter what roach avoidance method you try, you will most probably take some roaches to your next home. However, the best plan is to check through each item you pack carefully and thoroughly, including the boxes and bags you use to pack items (roaches love the glue in the boxes and bags!). Also check your car or truck for roaches, as well.

In your new place, again check literally each item carefully and especially, of course, food. Once you are settled, always be on the lookout for new roach invasions-store all food carefully, remove boxes and bags you are not using, etc.

Good Luck!!!

I am allergic to most chemicals. What can I do to ensure I don't move these roaches with me to my new place? I have a TV, microwave, radio, and antiques. I also have pets, etc. I can't bomb, I can't spray, I can't hurt the animals, or leave any residue on anything. Is there a solution to this problem?

Here is the link to a great article from Orkin on how to avoid moving cockroaches. http://www.orki  s-when-you-move/

You may have to discard some small electronics and other infested items, but it is worth it in the end.

if you have them now (which it sounds like you do) then they are inside the workings of your tc, and radio and such. I used to work for a utility company and we found them inside outlets, phone jacks and inside peoples telephones. You probably need a professional to help.

I had a horrific German cockroach infestation (those are the smaller ones) that I effectively did transfer from one rental home to another.

When we finally 'bought' a home I vowed I would not bring them over. But like you I'm not into chemicals.

If I remember correctly, the main things I used were white vinegar and borax.

As quickly as I could, I opened and put away everything in the kitchen area and disposed of the boxes in the curb. I poured gallons, practically, of borax on every surface and on top of the boxes I'd not opened yet. I spread a film of borax everywhere. Especially the corners.

And before putting everything in its home, whether it was an appliance, dishes, pots, or foodstuffs, I would douse it or wipe it down with vinegar.

I only focused on kitchen things and it worked,I didn't see one nasty cockroach in that house for the whole time we lived there.