Leaving Roaches Behind When You Move

Has anyone tried leaving their things outside in a garage or car in freezing weather to prevent moving cockroaches with them? Do cockroaches freeze to death? If so, how long does it take?

Roaches are very hardy. I would bomb my place before I moved. I would also pack eight sway. Roaches lay eggs in cardboard boxes and paper bags. Dispose of those quickly. Vacuum often. Throw away the bag outside if your vacuum has one.

Put some mothballs in your boxes as you pack them up and it will kill any roaches/eggs. Freezing weather will not affect them. They have been around for millions of years and can handle freezing weather just fine.

nor freezing nor heat will do anything

try borax, traditional roach killer (poisonous), or another interesting product I've heard that I will get as soon as I can afford it is IGR www.amazon.com/.../B002Z3B14E?tag=thrif06-20

apparently this is 'birth control' for roaches, it disrupts the breeding cycle so they can't reproduce.

the one time I was able to prevent a roach infestation from moving with me was obsessively cleanign every surface with rubbing alcohol and spraying boric acid inside every surface (even inside appliances) and throwing out all boxes before going in the new place

Unfortunately, the best strategy is the most strenuous, but it works...which is to never bring the moving boxes into the house and pack everything outside at the truck:

--Find clean boxes or if you have large plastic Rubbermaid tubs--clean them thoroughly with Clorox wipes or other cleaner...let air dry outside the day of the move

--Pack everything at the truck (making sure first that the truck is clean and doesn't have any critters of its own).

--Shake everything out before putting it in the box/tub, put the box/tub right into the truck and repeat.

--For things like dressers and beds and such...get them outside, go over them carefully and make sure they have no tag alongs and put them into the truck...if you find anything...clean thoroughly, air dry, then pack

--Before you move anything in to the new place, go through it carefully and make sure it is critter free

--Unpack outside...shake everything off again....and put it away

This is easiest with small moves...if you have a lot of stuff, it will be challenging...but from experience, I know this is the only way. I once rented a room in a mcmansion in the DC area and the roaches were the size of small children ...the landlord kept a clean house too...but she lived in an area that was just teeming with them as there was a lot of new construction...it was a nightmare...she had the exterminator on speed dial.

I lasted 1 month there and when I moved out, this was what I had to do as I didn't want to take these giant creatures to my new place.

Wishing you all the best in your move!! Post back how it goes!