Polishing Tarnished Jewelry

contest winner icon

To bring the shine back to tarnished silver jewelry, pour hot water into a mug, add three tablespoons of salt (to make an electrolyte), put in some aluminum tin foil and the tarnished silver jewelry. The tarnish (silver sulfide) will then be liberated and be given off as a gas (rotten eggs smell). Rinse with water to reveal super shiny jewelery.

Source: A jeweler friend.

By monique63 from Somerset, UK

Sounds a lot easier than silver-cleaning paste and elbow grease, thanks for the tip. Thumbs up for you and your jeweler friend!

You might want to advise people to do this outside.

Be very careful with using salt on sterling jewelry also the baking soda/aluminum foil method, you can pit the sterling with the salt method. With the aluminum foil method you will remove the sterling finish and turn your cherished sterling into a base metal. Only use products recommended for sterling cleaning and care. If you put a piece of chalk in the container where sterling is stored, it will help absorb some moisture.

I have tried this method and it didn't work on my jewelry. I didn't want to over do it on the ring I was trying to un-tarnish. Thanks for the tip though!

I had no problem with a chain. I only put it in the solution for a few minutes came out nice and clean. Have done this for years on my other with no problems. Retired from jewelry business. Do it all the time.

Have just tryed hour recommendation and was amazed at results brilliant thank you

Thanks!! I will try that..

It took the dark tarnish off, but now is very dull. Inside is written, "hand wrought 1C sterling", on a thin bracelet cuff.

Thank you tried your treatment worked a treat

Just want to say thanks for the cleaning solution advice, My wife got a perm and some of the solution got on her irreplaceable sterling silver chain. I put 3 table spoons of salt, a teaspoon of soda into a mug, half filled with hot tap water, rolled up two pieces of foil submerged them in the water and dropped the chain in, 3-4 minutes checked it and it indeed smelled like rotten eggs, swirled it around a bit, held it up to the light, it looked clean. Rinsed it off with clean water dried it and my wife says it looks better than the day she bought it, To me that big smile was worth more than the chain, Thanks !!!!!

Coiled silver bead necklace with large silver ball.
Cleaning Silver Jewelry
Home and Garden Cleaning JewelryJanuary 7, 2011
Silver bangle bracelet against white background
Cleaning a Silver Bracelet
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Photo of a woman making jewelry using silver wire.
Making Silver Jewelry
Silver Necklaces
Cleaning a Silver Necklace
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 18, 2017 at 8:24:05 PM on 10.0.2.152 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.