Polishing Tarnished Jewelry

contest winner icon

To bring the shine back to tarnished silver jewelry, pour hot water into a mug, add three tablespoons of salt (to make an electrolyte), put in some aluminum tin foil and the tarnished silver jewelry. The tarnish (silver sulfide) will then be liberated and be given off as a gas (rotten eggs smell). Rinse with water to reveal super shiny jewelery.

Source: A jeweler friend.

By monique63 from Somerset, UK

Sounds a lot easier than silver-cleaning paste and elbow grease, thanks for the tip. Thumbs up for you and your jeweler friend!

You might want to advise people to do this outside.

Be very careful with using salt on sterling jewelry also the baking soda/aluminum foil method, you can pit the sterling with the salt method. With the aluminum foil method you will remove the sterling finish and turn your cherished sterling into a base metal. Only use products recommended for sterling cleaning and care. If you put a piece of chalk in the container where sterling is stored, it will help absorb some moisture.

I have tried this method and it didn't work on my jewelry. I didn't want to over do it on the ring I was trying to un-tarnish. Thanks for the tip though!

I had no problem with a chain. I only put it in the solution for a few minutes came out nice and clean. Have done this for years on my other with no problems. Retired from jewelry business. Do it all the time.

Have just tryed hour recommendation and was amazed at results brilliant thank you

Thanks!! I will try that..

It took the dark tarnish off, but now is very dull. Inside is written, "hand wrought 1C sterling", on a thin bracelet cuff.

Thank you tried your treatment worked a treat

Coiled silver bead necklace with large silver ball.
Cleaning Silver Jewelry
Home and Garden Cleaning JewelryJanuary 7, 2011
Silver bangle bracelet against white background
Cleaning a Silver Bracelet
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Photo of a woman making jewelry using silver wire.
Making Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
🎉
🎄