Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Help for Kerosene or Gasoline Smell in Car Interior

How do I get rid of kerosene smell from my car's interior?

By Brad from Stockton, CA

By KelliSue02/23/2010

Purell hand sanitizer. I have spilled gas on myself before and used purell hand sanitizer and it took away the smell. The other day I spilled gas on my leather gloves and thought for sure they were toast. However, I tried the purell hand sanitizer and my gloves no loger smell like gas!

By Melanie Jackson [1]01/16/2010

Why does it smell? Was there some sort of leak, or was something spilled in the car? I ask because, if something is leaking from the car's engine, it's dangerous to inhale the fumes. So the source would need to be fixed, before you deodorize the car.

Then - not to sound like a broken record, as I recommend it a lot - cut up oranges and put them in bowls or on plates. Oranges will absorb almost any odor, leaving a lovely citrus scent behind.

By Cheryl Warner [8]01/09/2010

I don't know if it will work on kerosene but you could try it, something as simple as vanilla will take the smell of diesel fuel out of the house,cloths etc. I have put it in the laundry when my husband gets a lot on his cloths and if you have a room or like put the vanilla on a cotton ball and it will absorb the smell., sometimes you have to put out more that one cotton ball depending on the size of the room and the spill.
Cheryl from MI

By REE [1]01/09/2010

Call local auto supply shop ask for a bottle of pink stuff .. this is used by mechanics for cleaning up stuff. It works in the little green machine for the car (*my dh car was new - he was not happy). It works when oil delivery over filled and it spilled all over. It works on clothes with oil, kerosene & gas. Ria

Here are questions related to Help for Kerosene or Gasoline Smell in Car Interior.

Question: Removing Kerosene Odor from Carpet in Car

I spilled kerosene on the carpet of my vehicle and can't get the smell out. Please help.

By Dee

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie01/25/2012

Pour at least two inches of cat litter directly on the spill and leave for several days. Use a commercial vacuum at the filling station to vacuum up the cat litter when the odor is gone.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Help for Kerosene or Gasoline Smell in Car Interior

I don't know if any reader has ever had to get kerosene, gas, or other smelly liquids out of their vehicle or not, but I sure did. It's easy to put something in your trunk or back seat and spill some on your floor. The fumes from the containers and what spills on the floor gives me a headache.

A friend told me about using coffee grounds. She gets the cheapest kind, sprays the rug or floor lightly with water and sprinkles the dry coffee grounds over the area and then waits a few hours before vacuuming. It takes the kerosene or whatever fuel smell there is out and doesn't leave a coffee stain. Some truck drivers use this method due to the diesel fuel getting tracked into the cab of their rig.
I hope this helps someone. Sent in by LaH friend, Pebbles462002)
Light at Home Newsletter

By Lois from Bridgeport, WV

RE: Help for Kerosene or Gasoline Smell in Car Interior

I had gasoline spill in the back of my SUV and tried several methods to get rid of the smell. I cleaned it out with vinegar and water which helped some, I kept the windows open, and also tried the coffee grounds trick. All methods assisted to some degree, but after 6 weeks there was still a noticeable smell.

Finally, my hardware store recommended a product called "Environmental Air Sponge". It comes in a plastic tub and within 30 minutes of opening it and leaving it in the car, the gas smell was gone. I was really impressed with this product and highly recommend it. (10/04/2008)

By Colleen H

How do I get kerosene stains and smell out of car carpet?

By shaysid from Halifax, NS, Canada

I would try scented kitty litter. Leave it on a few days, mixing it around. That should get out the odor. Or use a 2 step prep, by sprinkling on a lot of dry baking soda for the odor, again leaving it a couple of days, and then making a water/baking soda mixture. I'd use a scrub brush to further get out stains and any left over odor. Personally, I'd use the litter, then the baking soda wash. Hope that helps! (06/30/2009)

By alexsma

The oil furnace man spilled kerosene on my carpet inside when fixing our furnace, and I was sickened by the smell it was so bad. I kept sprinkling a lot of baking soda on the spots and then vacuuming it up and applying new as soon as it had absorbed all it could. I blotted the area first to get all the excess I could, which wasn't much. The baking soda that I first applied actually changed to a dingy color and I left it only a few hours before removing that and putting down new. Be generous with the baking soda. It is a cheap and wonderful fix! (06/30/2009)

By themuffster

I don't know how this will work on carpet, but whenever I get gas on something, I found out by accident that this mix I make for salt water reef tanks gets rid of gasoline like magic. This is a mix to raise the hardness of salt water for corals. It's got calcium and magnesium hydroxide, baking soda, and sodium borate. You mix it with water and shake a lot. Use the liquid that comes off of this, the other stuff settles. This has a very high PH, and I don't know if it would bleach things out, but drain cleaner has a high PH. I'd test the carpet in somewhere that doesn't show first. The stuff I have is amazing, it gets rid of the smell, oiliness, and residue in seconds, then I rinse with water. (06/30/2009)

By c t

Pink stuff from the local car parts store. That is its actual name. It is fantastic for gas, oil, and kerosene. (06/30/2009)

By HSLINKS