Do chickens eat raspberries?

Will chickens eat raspberries? I'm putting up a coop, with a yard for them, but should I keep them away from the berries?

Joann from Cole City, GA

I live on a farm and grew up with my dad raising chickens -laying hens and bantams. When they free ranged, they ate about everything they came across and caught their eyes. If only just to peck at and not necessarily clean off the whole bush. Chickens can fly upwards for short distances and will roost in bushes and the lower branches of trees so you might want to consider that also. If you are not there to "coop" them up at dusk to keep them safe, they will fly up to roost as a survival mechanism.

I agree with that. I know for sure thet eat mulberries. I had free range hens and a huge mulberry tree.They pigged out on fallen mulberries, and left piles of purple pooh everywhere! Hens are 'everything..vores" and will eat practically everything they come across.

Oh my, yes they sure eat rasberries! I lost all my berries that were within reach, every year. (MY reach that is! I don't know how they got them, and what they left me were great big wonderful raspberries, that i could only reach if I hedged my way to them!)

My husband swears that it made them produce better eggs though!

You betcha! And anything else that they can get to.

I've had chickens for 20 + yrs. & I always tell poultry newbies that that they'd eat each other if you'd let 'em!

Good luck with your project.

Home and Garden Gardening GrowingSeptember 4, 2007
Frozen raspberries.
Freezing Raspberries
Recipes Using Raspberries
Pet chicken in the backyard.
Pet Chickens Information and Photos
Raspberries on White Background
Selecting Good Raspberries