Storing Garlic In Cellar

Can I store fresh garlic in a brown paper sack somewhere other than the refrigerator, such as a cellar?

Bob from Hot Springs, AR

You shouldn't store garlic in the fridge at all - a kitchen countertop works fine.

If you are looking for longer shelf life, you could find a dark place for them, but if your basement is at all damp, I'd avoid it - moisture makes garlic grow mold and shortens the life. Above all, don't store them near potatoes or onions - their moisture is bad for the garlic.

Anonymous

If you have oodles of garlic (I think oodles is four 'bulbs' or more), mince when 'fresh' really well and store immediately in a 'small' glass jar in the fridge (I store mine on the door in the fridge). It will last for a few months that way! I prefer mincing a bunch up all at the same time cause then it's conveniently ready for day to day cooking :-) It does not lose it's flavor doing this and no chances that your cloves in the bag have dried up if you don't use garlic often ;-)

I clean all my garlic - put it in a jar with cold water. This has lasted for a full year. I have maybe 4 or 5 cloves in cold water from last fall. I store it in my fridge.

If you have a nice dry cupboard,pantry or kitchen; why not try a garlic braid. When you need garlic just pluck it off. You can find instructions by googling.