Making an Above Ground Root Cellar

Category Storage
You can make an alternative to the traditional below ground root cellar for storing your veggies. This is a guide about making an above ground root cellar.

I am making an above ground root cellar out of an old deep freezer. It will be so far in the ground with two sides between a cliff. I am putting 3 feet of gravel on the other sides with an insulated cover plus bags of leaves. Will this work; or do I need more dirt? I don't want my veggies to freeze.

By marie

Answers

Read on the web and see if you can find directions for building an above ground potato mound for storing potatoes in winter. I read it somewhere but don't recall where. I think you do need more dirt, maybe a layer or two of straw or something insulating. There is the possibility of finding scrap packing foam chunks, stacks of newspaper as well, which should probably be covered with plastic tarp.

Plastic tarp can be found cheaply in lots of places, but also keep eye out at garage sales. You also I think will need to put in a pipe of some kind, not large for a little ventilation. Carrots and root veggies can be kept in box of damp sand, probably a plastic tote of some kind [not potatoes of course], most people don't grow any root veggies except carrots anymore, Straw would be very good if you could find it. Where are you? I'll try to see if I can track down info for you.

Plastic tarp can be found cheaply in lots of places, but also keep eye out at garage sales. You also I think will need to put in a pipe of some kind, not large for a little ventilation. Carrots and root veggies can be kept in box of damp sand, probably a plastic tote of some kind [not potatoes of course], most people don't grow any root veggies except carrots anymore, Straw would be very good if you could find it. Where are you?

http://www.exam  rops-and-cabbage

I found this article after I posted and it has some links to other info, ie the 'potato clamp' which I believe will have info re how much material to pile on top and sides of your fridge because the fridge/freezer will have some insulation and the amount of insulation suggested re the clamp should be sufficient for most situations.