Decoupage Wall Plaques

Small wooden plaques with picture cut from magazines or other sources which are decoupaged into place using half white glue and half water or a decoupage medium, filled in or enhanced with paint.

Approximate Time: 2-3 days counting drying times

• colorful pictures
  • acrylic paints
  • good sharp scissors
  • brush for glue
  • hanging device for hanging finished plaque
  • screw or nail for wall
  • twigs or small dried leaves
  • white glue like Elmer's or decoupage medium
  • palette knife or craft stick
  • paint brush for paints
  • water container
  • wire if needed
  • bits of string, tiny silk flowers
  • seashells and tiny stones

Instructions:

1. Start by finding the picture you'd like to see hanging on your wall, then carefully cut it out.

2. Have someone cut a nice thin piece of wood like 3/8 inch plywood, for instance wide enough and long enough so that you have room all around the picture to do a bit of your own artwork.

3. Lay your picture on the wood where you want it to be when the plaque is finished. Make small marks at many places around your picture, then lay it aside.

4. Using your acrylic paints, paint the board with a good basic coat of neutral color to seal it and make it easier to paint your artwork on it.

5. When the basecoat is very dry after several hours maybe, go back and start painting things that will enhance the picture you intend to use as the focal point on your plaque.

6. You can make some of the paint very thick using the palette knife or craft stick making sure to use the colors that you want to be a permanent part of your finished picture plaque.

7. When it's all dry, add a good coat of watered down white glue to the back side of your picture. Carefully put it into place on your plaque and gently smooth out all the bubbles and edges. Add a coat of the watered down glue to the top of your picture as well to seal it very well. Allow to dry for an entire day.

8. You might want to add a bit more paint to brighten up some areas or highlight other areas. Be sure you have a sky painted in if it's a landscape type picture.

9. Carefully place the hanging device to the back of your plaque. It might be light enough that just simple duct tape will hold a bit of ribbon in place, then put the ribbon over a small nail or screw in the wall. You may also use hot glue to a small hanger in place.

See the finished plaques I made for my daughters' room. They all loved dolls, so I made doll plaques. Whatever type of clothing the dolls had on, I tried to match the background and anything else I added to the pictures.

Any questions, just ask, and I'll do my best to help you. Do get the children involved in this project, and let them do as much of the actual work as possible. There is nothing like crafts and creativity to open up their minds and imagination. Have fun.

By Pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

That's neat! I like the idea!

Love this idea, I purchased some wooden plaques from Goodwill and being my daughter loves to decorate her room with wooden shelves I truly think she will adore a couple of plaques revamped by me. I'm thinking of using some of her drawings and something Asian thank you for the upload..

Decoupage Box
Decoupage Craft Ideas
Crafts DecoupageAugust 11, 2010
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
Decoupage Pen Holder
Making a Decoupage Pen Holder
Decoupaged Ceramic Tiles
Decoupaging Ceramic Tiles
Lavender Infused Sugar Jar
Making a Lavender Infused Sugar Jar
🎉
🎄