Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>
Pocketed placemat with patchwork heart design.

My husband brought home these denim placemats because he liked the pocket for the silverware. I scurried to my "resource" center and got out some material and made 1 inch red bias tape for the edging. Then I found the "heart" material in another "resource" box. The place mats are 15 inches by 19 inches. If your machine (like mine) will never be able to sew a denim pocket on a placemat because of the thickness, you could use a shirt pocket or just make a pocket. A while back one of our "thrifty" group suggested always using cloth napkins. Along the way I have now collected a large, varied assortment of designs. These placemats could be given for gifts at any holiday or a housewarming present. Great for picnics! Enjoy!

Approximate Time: one hour

• scrap material
  • sewing machine

Instructions:

Either buy or cut out material to hem to 15x19 inch. Sew a denim pocket or something just as pretty to the placemat. Start embellishing!

By Tedebear from San Jose, CA

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Paula [14]08/09/2008

About 10 years ago our ladies church group made this type of place mat to give as doorprizes at our luncheon; they were a huge hit. We used recycled denim jeans to make the placemats and cut off the pockets from the jeans to apply to the mat. If your sewing machine won't sew the thick fabric, I would suggest using a fabric glue to glue them down.

By Ziggee08/08/2008

that is such a neat idea. Good job.

Zig

By Susan08/07/2008

What a great idea! I am making a wedding gift for a friend who has moved from our area and I wanted to create something useful but with a Western flavor. These placemats will be perfect and I plan to make napkins out of "bandanna" fabric. Thanks for the idea.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.