Chores for Grade School Age Children

I have an 8 year old daughter who wants to earn extra money. What kinds of "jobs" could she do to get extra money?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

When the leaves start falling, rake the yard. Collect laundry, collect trash, help you remember things, teach her the proper way to answer the phone, keep her room clean, help with tasks you are doing: clean the garage/basement, wash dishes, clean off the table, watch a sibling for short sprints while you do things.

I have a 7 year old son and some of his chores are:

Feed the dog

Take out bathroom trash (it's a small bag compared to kitchen)

Put away silverware when emptying the dishwasher

He has even cleaned the toilet for me!

I don't mean chores I am refering to small jobs that she can do around the neighborhood or for friends. Also, how much would you pay an 8 year old for doing these small jobs? She really wants to buy something that we don't want her to have and said she could buy it if she earned the money.

Well, when I was 8 (and I was a tiny wisp of a thing even for 8), I was taught how to properly pull weeds, water, rake, safely pick up after the dog, help wash the car (among many, many other things) for allowance and those that I mentioned were things my parents would have allowed me to do for trusted neighbors to earn extra money. As for how much money, that should be negotiated on a per job basis of what the person who hires her thinks is fair and how well your daughter does the job (or at least the effort she puts in to trying to do a good job). Even if it's only $1.00 for an hours worth of work it will teach her the value of a job well done and the value of a dollar, both of which are valuable lessons and the earlier in life to learn them the better. ;-)

Since it is getting near fall, I would suggest raking leaves for friends and trusted neighbors. She could also help pick garden produce or weeds. There might also be an elderly neighbor who would need help with yard clean up, carrying in garden decorations and so on. If you have friends with toddlers, your 8 year old might help out a mom by playing with the toddler when the mom wanted to get something done, like babysitting, except the mom is around. I used to get a little helper to play with my toddler when I wanted uninterrupted time to harvest my garden produce or even write Christmas cards. They kept my son entertained so I could get my jobs done.

Parenting Grade SchoolerAugust 15, 2010
8th Graders
8th Grade Graduation Party Ideas
sunken garden beds
Sunken Beds for Arid Climates
Making a Chore Chart for Children
Making a Chore Chart for Children
A girl leaning on her school books.
End of School Year Gift Ideas