Hang Shirts Directly From Washer

I save time and money in the laundry room THIS way.

When I take my clothes from the washer I hang almost all of the shirts on hangers, button the top button on button-downs, straighten the collars, tug on the sleeves, pull and smooth, etc. From there, I either hang them on over-the-door hooks or on the wash line if the day is nice (even the shower rod is good if there aren't too many hangers to weigh the rod). When dry, they can be put straight into each person's closet. I also pay attention to the direction clothes are hung in each closet and hang the wet shirts accordingly so I don't have to re-hang them later.

If some shirts still need to be ironed (as some will), the ironing process is easier because you already smoothed out the collars etc. This saves money on my electric bill by not taxing the dryer, the clothes last longer because they have not given a piece of "themselves" up to the lint trap, the threat of shrinkage is lessened AND I don't have to fold! Jeans, etc. can be done the same way, but may still need a dryer for a few minutes afterwards for wrinkles. I also love this because I never face the fear of excessively wrinkled clothes from leaving them in the dryer long after it has stopped running. (Beware though, teenagers have been known to leave their clothes on the hooks in the laundry room and they may begin to dress in there! lol).

By Brenda from Deltona, FL

Great idea Brenda. I do that too. I live in a second floor apartment. There are outdoor clothes lines around the back of the block, but as it has an open laneway right there, you can't be sure if your laundry won't be hijacked, so I hang things, shirts, sweaters, etc from the shower rod in the bathrooom (combined bathroom/laundry) I leave the window open in there, and things dry pretty quickly,

Just be sure you are not using wire hangers that can rust

I had to start doing this when my dryer quit working. I plan to still hang lots of my clothes even after the dryer is fixed. I'm saving money, helping the earth, and I love the smell of the laundry hanging up.

Here's another tip. Hang an additional shower curtain rod in your shower to dry clothes on. I have a fiberglass shower enclosure so mine just rests on the lip and I don't have to use pressure to keep it in place. When I'm finished using it, I simply roll it to the edge near the wall and it's out of the way until the next load.

I do this with my daughter's clothes. As we all know girls tshirts are cut SO small now. We cannot afford shrinkage. So they all get hung up.

Good post.

http://www.savingspotpourri.blogspot.com/

Hi Brenda, G

Great suggestions. Yes, it may take a few minutes to do but will save lots of time in the long run. I use this EXACT process my self and as a professional organizer I offer these suggestions to my clients as well.

You must all have lots of space or little clothes. This would take way too long for me to do and the few I do do this way because they shouldn't be dried take forever to dry and have way more wrinkles than if I dried them. I rarely iron because when I need a shirt or pants I spray with water a while before I need to wear them (or overnight) and do a little tugging or smoothing and am good to go. For t-shirts/ casual clothes I do it right before wearing.

I do this. I live in a small mobile home and have a "drying" room where I hang laundry from the washer. Saves me time in the long run.

I have for years just placed the shirts in the dryer, run five minutes and then hang up the shirts, I too spend some time straighten, buttoning and running then in the dryer for the five minutes takes out a lot of the winkles. Then they can be hung on the curtain rod to dry. I also, use different colored plastic hangers for each person in the house, so then when it is time to put away I gather each color and place in the proper closet.

Laundry Tips and Tricks, Dirty Laundry in a White Basket
Laundry Tips and Tricks
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundrySeptember 12, 2008
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
Hand pouring powdered laundry detergent into washing machine using pink scoop
Emergency Laundry Detergent Substitutions
Sowing seeds directly.
Direct Sowing Seeds
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
🎉
🎄