Share Crafts

Make And Freeze Leftover Soup As Casseroles

I find that when I make a soup with pasta in it, the pasta gets very soft when trying to serve the soup as a leftover. When I have a lot of leftover soup, I will now put it directly into a casserole dish and freeze it. Then, when I need a quick dinner, I can take it out and bake it. I usually sprinkle it with cheese during the last 20 minutes of baking. It has always turned out wonderful and the family doesn't even realize they are eating leftovers.

Today, I made a throw together soup with odds and ends from the fridge: A couple of hamburger patties that didn't get grilled a few days ago, some chopped tomatoes, a partial jar of some spaghetti sauce, zucchini from the garden (I can't hardly keep up), carrots, onions, celery, corn; any veggie that I had on hand or needed to use up. I added macaroni and chopped basil at the end and it was very delicious. My husband ate two big bowls! I just popped the leftovers in the freezer and a weeknight dinner is covered.

I have done this with chicken noodle and other pasta based soups, and I imagine it would be good with a rice based soup as they can get too thick sometimes too. I thought of this because so many casseroles call for a base of cream soup. I try not to use much packaged foods, preferring to know exactly what my family is eating.

Let me know what you think!

By jess from Hillsboro, OR

Post a Comment