Make And Freeze Leftover Soup As Casseroles

I find that when I make a soup with pasta in it, the pasta gets very soft when trying to serve the soup as a leftover. When I have a lot of leftover soup, I will now put it directly into a casserole dish and freeze it. Then, when I need a quick dinner, I can take it out and bake it. I usually sprinkle it with cheese during the last 20 minutes of baking. It has always turned out wonderful and the family doesn't even realize they are eating leftovers.

Today, I made a throw together soup with odds and ends from the fridge: A couple of hamburger patties that didn't get grilled a few days ago, some chopped tomatoes, a partial jar of some spaghetti sauce, zucchini from the garden (I can't hardly keep up), carrots, onions, celery, corn; any veggie that I had on hand or needed to use up. I added macaroni and chopped basil at the end and it was very delicious. My husband ate two big bowls! I just popped the leftovers in the freezer and a weeknight dinner is covered.

I have done this with chicken noodle and other pasta based soups, and I imagine it would be good with a rice based soup as they can get too thick sometimes too. I thought of this because so many casseroles call for a base of cream soup. I try not to use much packaged foods, preferring to know exactly what my family is eating.

Let me know what you think!

By jess from Hillsboro, OR

Comment

Leftover food in containers in the fridge.
Freezing Leftovers
Food and Recipes Freezing Freezer MealsAugust 26, 2009
Turkey dumpling soup with carrots.
Leftover Turkey Soup Recipes
Take Out Containers in Refrigerator
Using Leftovers
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 26, 2016 at 8:16:38 AM on 10.0.1.57 in 233 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.