Toilet Seat Keeps Getting Loose

What can be done to make the plastic screws on a toilet seat stay on tighter? Mine keeps getting loose and then the toilet seat shifts. It is very annoying! Thanks for any help you can offer here.

Mary Lou from Flanders, NJ

Best Answer

Glue will work, but I'm araid you may have to use a hacksaw to replace the toilet seat.. Loctite makes several 'Threadlock' compounds; the "blue" is the one you should use, it'll keep the nut from becoming loose. DO NOT use the "red", that is for a more permanent fix; you'll have to use a heat source to remove the nut if using red.

Loctite blue is available in most hardware stores and auto parts stores.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-183492.html

Best Answer

They make replacement metal screws and bolts for the toilet seat; they're available at a hardware store.

I don't mess with the plastic ones, I buy them at the same time I purchase my toilet seat. Wal-Mart only has plastic replacement screws.

Best Answer

I liked all the suggestions except the steel screws and here is my reason. In the bathroom there is a lot of moisture and where there is dampness for steel bolts there is rust and where there is rust it is hard to remove and unlike glue which you can break its hold rust actually will bond the 2 parts together.

The adhesive on the washer would not cause any problem in removing and the glue will break with the pressure of the wrench to get it off fairly easy. Stay with the plastic or wrap the plastic threads with pipe tape which holds on pumps, etc. but will come off when you want it. Pipe tape it a stretchable tape for plastic and metal fittings to keep from leaking and is very pliable just wrap around the threads (don't need much) and screw it down, but you are able to take it off when you need to.

We had this same problem and my husband used Gorilla glue on it. Now it isn't shifting at all!

The only thing I can think of is putting a tiny drop of glue on the screw right before you tight it again, this should keep it in a fixed position.

Hope that helps

Dawn

http://frugalforlife.com

It could be that the screws are stripped from you tightening them over and over again. You can purchase new ones for under $5.00 at home depot in the plumbing department. Never tighten any screw on or inside a toilet too tight as you could cause the ceramic toilet to crack and then you would have to replace the entire toilet.

Just want to thank everyone for their great advice. I think I will replace with metal screws from a hardware store. I had no idea that you could even purchase them! The glues sounded interesting as well but I think I'd be afraid that I wouldn't be able to get them off.

I just bought this item online. www.yukonseatgrip.com

It is a simple washer with adhesive. Easy to install, cant see it once its on, and my toilet is tight. It was universal and under $5 fix. Check it out.

Loose toilet seat? The Yukon Seat Grip can solve this common problem. Hyyp://www.ukonseatgrip.com

Loose Toilet Seat
Fixing a Loose Toilet Seat
Home and Garden Repair Home BathroomJanuary 22, 2009
Childs Car Seat
Decorating a Child's Car Seat
Wood Toilet Seat
Repairing a Peeling Wood Toilet Seat
Wood with a screw in it.
Fixing a Loose Screw in Wood
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
🎉
🎄