Fixing a Loose Toilet Seat

Category Plumbing
Determine whether the seat needs to be replaced or can be secured by tightening. This guide is about fixing a loose toilet seat.

What can be done to make the plastic screws on a toilet seat stay on tighter? Mine keeps getting loose and then the toilet seat shifts. It is very annoying! Thanks for any help you can offer here.

Mary Lou from Flanders, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

Glue will work, but I'm araid you may have to use a hacksaw to replace the toilet seat.. Loctite makes several 'Threadlock' compounds; the "blue" is the one you should use, it'll keep the nut from becoming loose. DO NOT use the "red", that is for a more permanent fix; you'll have to use a heat source to remove the nut if using red.
Loctite blue is available in most hardware stores and auto parts stores.
http://www.thum  hp/t-183492.html

Best Answer

They make replacement metal screws and bolts for the toilet seat; they're available at a hardware store.

I don't mess with the plastic ones, I buy them at the same time I purchase my toilet seat. Wal-Mart only has plastic replacement screws.

Best Answer

I liked all the suggestions except the steel screws and here is my reason. In the bathroom there is a lot of moisture and where there is dampness for steel bolts there is rust and where there is rust it is hard to remove and unlike glue which you can break its hold rust actually will bond the 2 parts together.

The adhesive on the washer would not cause any problem in removing and the glue will break with the pressure of the wrench to get it off fairly easy. Stay with the plastic or wrap the plastic threads with pipe tape which holds on pumps, etc. but will come off when you want it. Pipe tape it a stretchable tape for plastic and metal fittings to keep from leaking and is very pliable just wrap around the threads (don't need much) and screw it down, but you are able to take it off when you need to.

By Becky (Guest Post)

We had this same problem and my husband used Gorilla glue on it. Now it isn't shifting at all!