Oma's Red Cabbage

• 1 medium head red cabbage, washed, cored. and shredded
  • 1 large apple, cored and sliced - doesn't have to be peeled
  • 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 1 large bay leaf
  • 1/4 cup any wine
  • 2 tsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar
  • salt and pepper
  • Small handful of peppercorns (optional - mother always threw them in). They are a favorite item with the kids to find in the cabbage. I think they enhanced the flavor of the red cabbage.

Directions:

Melt butter in a large pot; add cabbage, apple slices, and peppercorns. Add bay leaf and salt and/or pepper to taste. Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add wine, vinegar, and sugar; stir well. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Will cook down quite a bit. Taste and adjust seasonings. May need more sugar or vinegar.

Can be made the day before and reheated. I think it tastes better the second day. Serves 4 to 6.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

Sounds absolutely scrumptious!

Thank you. I did forget to add a chopped onion to the recipe but it would be just as good without it too. I guess I had a senior moment when I submitted the recipe. LOL

I think varieties of the same food are fun. I, too, have been making red cabbage, probably for 40+ years, both for Thanksgiving and Christmas, bringing my German heritage to the table (that's about the only carry-over from my Germanic background). However, I prefer it more flavorful, using my old German recipe:

1 med. shredded red cabbage (2-1/2 to 3#--throw out the tough white parts)

2 lg. apples (peeled and chopped--the smaller they're chopped, the sooner they become invisible)

3/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup water

1/8 t. (or less) ground cloves (my addition)

Interestingly, that just about duplicates a Milwaukee German restaurant's recipe, except they add 1 cup dry red wine. Not being a drinker, and not wanting the rest of the wine to go to waste, I eliminate that, but I'm sure it would enhance the flavor even more. (Some recipes add finely chopped onion.)

I just throw everything into the pot at once, bring to a boil, then put on lower heat and cook it 3/4 hr., or until the cabbage is tender. If there is an abundance of liquid, I stir in a teaspoon or more of flour at the very end of cooking just to thicken it up a bit. Like Miss Bonnie, I cook this "by taste." If it needs more sweet I add sugar, if it needs more sour I add vinegar. Yes, it's better made 1 or 2 days early. It is so easy and so good! My Italian son-in-law and his brothers love it!

Thank you for both recipes. Happy Thanksgiving to my American neighbors!

I always serve red cabbage at Thanksgiving, the same as my mother did. It's amazing how eventually even the younger grandchildren will try it. I like it served as a hot vegetable and also enjoy it cold as a "slaw". Will try your recipe this year.

Red Cabbage on Salad
Recipes Using Red Cabbage
Food and Recipes Recipes Holidays Thanksgiving Side DishesNovember 14, 2010
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
🎉
🎄