Recipes Using Red Cabbage

• 1 medium head red cabbage, washed, cored. and shredded
  • 1 large apple, cored and sliced - doesn't have to be peeled
  • 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine

• 1 large bay leaf
  • 1/4 cup any wine
  • 2 tsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar
  • salt and pepper
  • Small handful of peppercorns (optional - mother always threw them in). They are a favorite item with the kids to find in the cabbage. I think they enhanced the flavor of the red cabbage.

Directions:

Melt butter in a large pot; add cabbage, apple slices, and peppercorns. Add bay leaf and salt and/or pepper to taste. Cover and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add wine, vinegar, and sugar; stir well. Cover and cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Will cook down quite a bit. Taste and adjust seasonings. May need more sugar or vinegar.

Can be made the day before and reheated. I think it tastes better the second day. Serves 4 to 6.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

7 More Solutions

Remove core and heavy stem from the cabbage. Shred into small pieces and place it in a large bowl. Stir in the salt and refrigerate for two days. Stir cabbage six or seven times to keep the salt well distributed.

I'm the big cabbage eater in my family. This is really good!

Love me some cabbage! I have yet to find a way I don't like it fixed!

Place the cabbage in a large saucepan, and stir in the sugar, vinegar, salt and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium heat for 1 hour.

Place cabbage in large kettle of boiling, salted water; boil for 1 minute, drain. Return to kettle. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 hour ot until cabbage is tender. Remove bay leaf.

Heat oil a large saucepan. Add cabbage and cook gently about 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender, about 10 minutes.

Red Cabbage with Pork and Apples. Heat oil, add onion and saute 3 minutes. Add pork, saute 2 minutes. Add cabbage, saute 7 minutes. . .

In These Pages
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesJanuary 3, 2013
🍂
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Recipes-Using-Red-Cabbage.html