Recipes Using Cabbage

Category Vegetables
Cabbage is a very versatile vegetable that can be used in many recipes. This page contains recipes using cabbage.

• 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • few dill seeds
  • 2 qt. chopped cabbage, not too fine
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 3 Tbsp. margarine

Directions:

Melt margarine in heavy saucepan. Add onion, cabbage, salt, and dill seeds. Cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Add sour cream and serve hot. Makes 6-8 servings.

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 1 head cabbage
  • 1 tsp. minced onion
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • cream
  • cornstarch

Directions:

Cut cabbage up to nice size pieces. Put in pan to accommodate the amount of cabbage. Add water just to top. Add onion and sugar and cook until cabbage is limp. Drain and add cream to cover. Heat and then make thickening from cornstarch and water. Add to cabbage just to thicken cream. Can put in crock pot to keep warm.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I like the tangy taste of this recipe!

• 5 cups chopped cabbage
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • Ad

• little carrot, just for color
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. mustard seed

Directions:

Soak first 4 ingredients in water with 2 Tbsp. salt for 20 minutes or more. Boil and cool the next 4 ingredients. Drain cabbage, pour cooled vinegar over cabbage and mix well. Cover tightly and keep refrigerated overnight.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

These delectable low carb cabbage rolls are sure to be hit with anyone who eats them. This page contains Italian sausage stuffed cabbage rolls recipe.

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains roasted cabbage recipes. Cabbage is such a versatile vegetable; it can be prepared in many delicious ways.

Roasted Cabbage

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains recipes using red cabbage. Red cabbage is often used in German recipes, but lends itself to many possibilities.

Red Cabbage on Salad

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains cabbage stew recipes. Cabbage stew with your favorite additions is a hearty meal in itself.

ready to serve garbanzo bean stew

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Place cabbage in a large baking dish. Combine beef, rice, onion, egg, salt and pepper, and thyme. Shape into 6-8 patties and arrange on cabbage. Dissolve brown sugar in hot water in a saucepan; add tomato sauce and lemon juice.

I am looking for cabbage recipes.

By Joe from Hamilton, ON

Answers

This is a great website for all kinds of recipes. Just use the search box at the top of the site.
http://www.recipezaar.com

KFC Cole Slaw from Top Secret Recipes:
http://www.tops  ;id=57&page=

Hey Joe- something I like to do with cabbage is slice it thinly and add it to cooked egg noodles and chopped up onion in a pan with butter or oil (not too much) and fry it all together for 10 min. or so, you can even add some powdered boullion to the mix or powdered onion soup, maybe top it off with a dollop of sour cream, yum-

I love to slice it up and fry it in a skillet with just a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Then I take a little bit of wine, cider or flavored vinegar to give it a hint of flavor and cover it and let it get tender. Sometimes I add some smoked sausage to it and a little onion is good too. Quick and easy and a nice side dish without the sausage.

A good and tasty way to use cabbabge is slice it thinly like a slaw. Cook in a small amount of water to desired tenderness drain,slightly. Add 1 pkg cream cheese, 1 tsp celery seed and mix well.Great as a side dish. It is called Quick Creamy Cabbage.

I was making Italian beef one day and threw in a head of cabbage and just let it cook the whole time. It was great.

Anonymous

I love it shredded and simply coated with sesame oil vinaigrette :-)

Colcannon is quick and easy. cabbage (steamed/boiled very tender), mashed potatoes, cream, butter (I put in cream cheese) and sometimes the crisp fat from a baked corned beef

Cut the cabbage into bite size pieces, in large skillet melt a some bacon grease then add cabbage, meanwhile cook some noodles. Once the cabbage has cooked down and become tender add salt, pepper and some garlic salt. In a large serving bowl toss the cabbage and noodles together. I never have any of this leftover.

Coleslaw is easy, shred cabbage and carrots finely, add herbal salt and mayonnaise and mix well and serve.
Shred cabbage fine, rinse and set aside. Heat a little oil, add onion, one dry chilli till light brown, add little mustard seeds and cumin seeds and put into oil then add the cabbage and salt to taste and cook till done. Serve with rice or bread.

Skillet Dinner:

Brown "Lean" hamburger (about 1 to 1-1/2 lbs)
Add one chopped onion and let it brown with hamburger
Drain any excess grease
Add 1 can stewed cut tomatoes
1 can Rotel
2 cans nacho or cheddar cheese soup
Blend together
Add 1 small head chopped cabbage
Simmer until cabbage is tender

Serve with hot cornbread.

I am looking for recipes using cabbage.

Jean from Saxe, VA

Answers

http://www.recipezaar.com

Type cabbage in the search bar. Tons of recipes to choose from.

Anonymous

Cabbage is great in salads (and even more nutritional than lettuce) :-) I often use half cabbage and half romaine lettuce along with other salad goodies like tomatoes and avocado :-)

I live alone and can't use an entire head even when using it for cooking so I ask the produce worker of the day to please cut one in half for me since it's sold by the pound ... They gladly do it and the other half always sells :-)

If I think I'll not be able to use even the half a cabbage I purchase, I have a neighbor who loves it so I share it with her and she in turn shares something of hers that she knows she can't finish before spoiling :-)

Picled cabbageKem Chi usually referred to as a Vietnamese dish. This is good for a snack or as a side dish. Soak cabbage -- usually won bok cabbage in a salt solution and weigh down the cabbage. Then find a pickling recipe that you like that includes pepper seeds and some hot spice. Combine pickled cabbage and pickling water in a jar and let sit in fridge to get cabbage and spices to marry. Some grocery stores have the seasoned packages and instructions in the asian sections or google the instructions.

The New York Times website has several cabbage recipes. Here's the link:

http://topics.n  bbage/index.html

Oops, the server didn't like my fractions. Here is another try.

Cajun Style Cabbage

1 lb. ground beef
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 10-oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
one/half cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tsp salt
one/half tsp dried basil
one/half tsp dried oregano
one/fourth to one/half tsp white pepper
one/fourth to one/half tsp black pepper
one/fourth to one/half tsp cayenne pepper
4 to 6 drops hot pepper sauce
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1 or 2 cups shredded Colby cheese

In a skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, onion, and garlic until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and seasonings. Spread into an ungreased 9 X 13-inch pan, mixing with cabbage. Top with cheese. Cover and bake at 350 F for 65 to 75 minutes or until rice is tender.

Hamburger-Cabbage Casserole

1 pound lean hamburger
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup instant rice, uncooked
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 can tomato soup
1/4 cup water (to rinse out the soup can)
4 cups cabbage or coleslaw mix

Cook beef and onion; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon into ungreased 2 quart casserole. Cover. Bake in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. 6 servings

This is similar to other BACON-FRIED CABBAGE recipes I've read here, but it's very easy (and SOOO good!)

Slice a cabbace thinly, then chop into 1 1/2" pieces. Cook 2 strips of bacon until done and crisp; remove from pan and set aside on a paper towel to drain. Stir cabbage into the bacon fat. Salt lightly, add 2 tablespoons of vinegar, and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Crumble the bacon over the cabbage and stir well. Cook covered for 15-20 minutes, checking frequently.

I was wondering if any one knows some recipes for cabbage? I have recipes for coleslaw, corned beef, cabbage, and sauerkraut but I have a huge head of cabbage and I heard it doesn't can well.

Rhea from Ogden, KS

Answers:

Recipes Using Cabbage

I love cabbage shredded and stir fried with chopped onion. Toward the end of the cooking, I sprinkle beef powder bouillon over it and stir it in good. Delicious! I can't give you amounts because it's something I just throw together. Easy on the bouillon because it is very salty.

(08/03/2006)

By Luvyabye

Recipes Using Cabbage

I am Polish and this is a great Polish dish. It is actually good! I didn't have one on hand so I Googled this one and it's the one but I never used beer!

STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

• 2 lb. extra-lean ground beef
  • 1/2 c. chopped onion
  • 1 c. cooked rice
  • 1/2 c. chopped celery
  • 2 lg. eggs
  • 16 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1 lg. head cabbage
  • 12 oz. can beer
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
  • 6 oz. can tomato sauce
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix ground beef, onion, rice, celery, eggs and 1/4 of 16 ounce can of tomato sauce.
  3. Boil whole cabbage 15 minutes on low heat, drain. This can be done in advance. Remove leaves, cut off core from each leaf.
  4. Wrap meat mixture in leaves, roll up, tuck in ends.
  5. Place in roasting pan, skin side down.
  6. Mix remaining tomato sauce from 16 ounce can with beer, brown sugar and vinegar. Pour over stuffed cabbage and cover.
  7. Bake for 1/2 hour, reduce oven to 250 degrees and continue to bake for 3 1/2 hours. Uncover, pour on 6 ounce can tomato sauce, bake additional 1 1/2 hours. These may be made a day ahead.
(08/03/2006)

By Nicole

Recipes Using Cabbage

• Brown 1 pound ground turkey.
  • While browning, add 1 can tomato sauce (15 oz) and 1 can diced tomatoes w/green chilies (may use 2 cans tomato sauce, but the zing is really good!)
Add:
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar (may use Splenda)
  • 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon of thyme
  • salt and pepper to personal taste
  • You may add minced garlic
When meat is browned mix in 8 cups shredded cabbage and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Quick, easy, nutritious and even diet conscious! (08/03/2006)

By slw1299

Recipes Using Cabbage

Do you like stuffed cabbage? I make a stuffed cabbage casserole, that is much easier than actually stuffing the leaves - fry up your ground beef (or ground turkey) with onions, and drain off excess grease. Put this in the bottom of a deep casserole dish. I use a corning ware square casserole that is about 6 inches deep. Season the ground beef with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. On top of the ground beef, sprinkle about a cup, cup and a half of long grain rice, uncooked. Then fill the entire casserole with chopped up cabbage. Pour in about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water. This will cook the rice. Shake Worcestershire sauce generously over the cabbage, and finish by pouring a can of tomato sauce over the top. Cook for about an hour in 350 degree oven. Cabbage rolls without the fuss! (08/03/2006)

By mrsmutt

Recipes Using Cabbage

Spread 1 pound raw, seasoned hamburger meat in bottom of electric skillet. Top w/shredded onion. Top this layer with shredded cabbage. Top this layer w/shredded carrots. Top this layer w/1 can cream of chicken soup. Top with shredded cheddar. Cook on low/med. heat until bubbly and cheese is melted. Approximately 45-50 minutes. (08/03/2006)

By Mona Lisa

Recipes Using Cabbage

Here's something I've made for years and we just love it. It isn't hard at all and makes plenty so you can invite company or get two meals from it:

QUICK PIGS IN A BLANKET

• 1 small head of cabbage
  • 1 lb ground chuck
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup rice
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
  • 1 can (10 1/2 oz) tomato soup
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 can sauerkraut (opt)
Chop cabbage into medium pieces. Spread in bottom of a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Brown meat and onion in large skillet, breaking up meat with spoon as it cooks. Stir in rice, salt and pepper. Spoon mixture over cabbage. Top with a layer of drained sauerkraut (I like the Bavarian style). In a small saucepan, heat tomato soup and water to boiling. Pour over all ingredients. Cover tightly with foil and bake 1 &frac; hours in a pre-heated 350 oven. (08/03/2006)

By Debbie52

Recipes Using Cabbage

Take the raw cabbage and cut it up. Put in a large fry pan with about 1/2 can chicken broth and cook until soft. Liquid should be gone, if not, pour it off. Then, take a stick of butter and melt it and fry the cabbage until lightly brown. Cook noodles and toss into the fried cabbage. Very good. Make sure you stir the cabbage so it doesn't burn. (08/03/2006)

By Carol

Recipes Using Cabbage

Here's something else that's a delicious side dish (good w/pork). Cut up some cabbage and fry in a big skillet or saucepan with butter and a little olive oil, also fry chopped onion with it. In the meantime, cook up some wide egg noodles. Once your cabbage and onions are soft, add to the drained noodles and add some more butter,and salt and pepper to taste and heat through. Amounts can vary so can't give you exact amounts to use. We never have any of this go to waste and if there's leftovers I gladly heat up next day for lunch! (08/03/2006)

By Debbie52

Recipes Using Cabbage

I love to use cabbage as a base for stir fry. I cut it into bite-sized chunks, along with any other veggies I have around (always carrots, and also broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, bean sprouts, mushrooms, celery, anything!). Throw them all in a wok or large skillet with a little oil (dense veggies first--like carrots; save celery, mushrooms, etc. for last). Great on its own as a side, or stir fry some chicken, pork, shrimp or beef before you do the veggies for a main dish. Or you can just throw some cubed firm tofu in with the veggies at the end--that's what I usually do. Then all it needs is some soy, teriyaki, or other sauce. Yum! (08/03/2006)

By Marisa

Recipes Using Cabbage

I like the Quick Pigs in the Blanket recipe. However, what is the amout for "& frac?" Am I just being ignorant?

(b)Editor's Note: (/b) the &frac; stands for a fraction which our server can't translate. It could be 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4. Maybe Debbie52 will fill us in on which they are.

(08/03/2006)

By Karifl

Recipes Using Cabbage

I wash the cabbage leaves and take them apart. I put oil in the bottom of the pan, two cans of tomato sauce, one onion cut up, and salt and pepper. I cook the leaves until soft and I have it with wieners. Take care. (08/03/2006)

By flower533346893

Recipes Using Cabbage

We use polish sausage and cabbage and make a yummy dinner.

Slice up the sausage into bite size pieces and place in a frying pan. Saute while you are cutting the cabbage. Place the cut cabbage (1/4 inch to 1/2 inch pieces) on top of the sausage. Keep stirring and cooking until the cabbage is brown. Serve with pumpernickel bread. So yummy and a comfort food in our house. (08/03/2006)

By kimbers867

Recipes Using Cabbage

Try juicing the cabbage with 1 or 2 cucumbers and an apple. It may sound weird, but it is delicious beautiful green drink!
Josie (08/03/2006)

By Jorjii

Recipes Using Cabbage

I am totally into this recipe. My kids love it!

• First, fry a lb. of bacon, slowly. Crumble it into a bowl, set aside.
  • Pour out all bacon grease except about two tablespoons.
  • Take a vidalia or sweet onion and put in food processor and when it looks like mashed potatoes put it in warm bacon grease and saute.
  • Then slowly add two cut whole cabbages and four cut pre- boiled potatoes (Idaho).
  • Mix two Knorr beef broth cubes to 2 cups of water (you can do in coffee cups in microwave).
  • Add to sauteed mixture and cook for 10 minutes on medium - low.
  • Add 2 cloves of chopped garlic and 8 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley.
  • Cook for 10 more minutes on medium low, or until flavors blend.
  • At the end, right before serving, add crumbled bacon on top.
I am so telling you this is good, you could eat it everyday! (08/03/2006)

By Debbie

Recipes Using Cabbage

My hubby's favorite is cabbage fried with polska kielbasa sausage, seasoned with a little butter, 1/2 cup of water, seasoning salt and black pepper. Once the cabbage has cooked for about 20 minutes add either pierogies or bite size chunks of potatoes and cook until done. This is one meal that when hubby comes home to it he will actually thank me for fixing it. (08/03/2006)

By hth'brenda-ohio

Recipes Using Cabbage

I take some bacon and fry till crisp. Remove bacon from pan and reserve the bacon grease. Chop cabbage and add to pan with bacon grease and water, cover and cook, stirring often, until soft (may need to add water while it cooks). When it is soft and no liquid remains, stir in crumbled bacon and season with salt and pepper to taste.

I made this for my dd's grandparents one time (on her father's side), and they liked it, and don't usually eat cooked cabbage. Made it for my husband one night and he was pleasantly surprised, even my 5yr old dd liked this. Hungry for some now, need to get some cabbage. (08/04/2006)

By jmz2005

Recipes Using Cabbage

I use cabbage in salads, either with spinach or lettuce or as the only green. I put everything in salad, usually some kind of fruit as well as 4 or 5 veggies.

My favorite dressing for this is similar to a homemade slaw dressing. I never measure, but it's about 2 parts mayo to one part lemon juice or vinegar and one part sugar. Taste, you might want a little more sugar.

Also, cabbage can provide the crunch in egg, chicken, or tuna salad, as can broccoli stems or cauliflower, and any one of those tastes just as good as celery. (08/04/2006)

By Estella

Recipes Using Cabbage

This is an easy, inexpensive and delicious meal:

CREAMED GROUND BEEF AND CABBAGE

Combine:

• 3/4 lb ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • 3 tbs butter
  • 4 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
  • 3 tbs flour
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 3/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp celery seeds
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
Brown meat and onion lightly in butter, breaking meat up. Add cabbage and saute lightly. Blend in flour and seasonings. Add milk, cover, simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

(08/05/2006)

By jrslady

Recipes Using Cabbage

CABBAGE ROLLS

INGREDIENTS:

• 12 cabbage leaves boiled

Filling:

• 1 pound ground pork, cooked
  • 3/4 cup cooked rice, cooked
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrot
  • 1/2 cup chopped pepper(sweet)
  • 1 can of diced or stewed tomatoes
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
PREPARATION:
Fry onions, carrots and peppers in oil. For filling, combine ground pork, rice, veggies and salt, pepper. Mix well and divide into 12 portions. Place a portion into the center of each cabbage leaf. Roll leaf around filling; fasten with toothpick. Place in a baking dish. Pour tomato sauce and lemon juice combined over cabbage rolls. Microwave for 5 minutes. Remove rolls and discard toothpicks. (08/06/2006)

By LRP

Recipes Using Cabbage

We literally fry it in an iron skillet, probably could use a Teflon pan but doesn't seem to have the same taste.

Heat up skillet with 1/8 cup butter (can be more or less), we like the butter taste so we use more. Cut cabbage like you would for coleslaw. I do the same with Walla Walla sweet onions, cook till tender, transparent or as crunchy as you like. Season with salt, pepper or even lemon pepper. My kids and I can eat an entire pan like this. Hope you like it too.

We also make cabbage salad. Instead of using lettuce, we use cabbage. We only salt it instead of using dressings of any kind. (10/27/2006)

By valley girl

Recipes Using Cabbage

Indian Rice

• 1lb Taxmati rice
  • 1/4 lb cabbage
  • 1/4 carrots, shredded
  • 1/4 lb leeks or scallions
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 2 oz. cashew nuts
  • 1 piece ginger
  • 1 piece cinnamon
  • 1 clove garlic
Clean, wash and boil rice. Put aside. Add the vegetables, sauted in a bit of butter. Put in crushed ginger, garlic piece, and piece of cinnamon. Fry this up, and when tender, add rice little by little. Add cashews which have been sauted in a bit of butter. This recipe was given to me by some Sryvicans who were my tenants before moving on to Canada. Very good. (01/22/2007)

By Kathleen

Recipes Using Cabbage

CHOP SUEY

• 1 lb minced steak
  • 1/4 cabbage, chopped well
  • 1/4 lb beans, chopped
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 oz margarine
  • 1 packet chicken noodle soup mix
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 large teaspoon curry powder
  • salt and pepper, to taste.
Fry minced steak without fat until just cooked. Remove from pan. Then fry cabbage, beans and onion in margarine until soft. Add minced steak, soup mix, water, curry powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Simmer 20 minutes, then add vinegar. Stir and serve. (02/20/2008)

By Lorraine

Recipes Using Cabbage

Cabbage Patch Soup

• 1 lb of extra lean ground beef
  • 1 cup of chopped celery and chopped onions
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1 large can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 can of tomato paste
  • 5 cups of beef broth
  • 2 cups cubed potatoes
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley
  • 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp of sugar
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp of salt and black pepper
  • 3 cups of thinly sliced cabbage (savoy, but any is good)
In a large soup pot, cook over med-low heat: the beef, celery, onions, green pepper and garlic until beef is browned. Add all other ingredients, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving. Delicious. From the Eat Shrink and Be Merry Cookbook, Ontario Canada. (01/02/2009)

By Barb K.