Recipes Using Cabbage

Category Vegetables
Cabbage is a very versatile vegetable that can be used in many recipes. This page contains recipes using cabbage.

When I was a teenager, I went with a friend to her home for lunch. Her grandmother had cooked a pot of cabbage. Susie wanted me to try it. Well, all my life, I had turned up my nose at cabbage. It was not on my list of vegetables to eat. I was very hesitant to taste it. Much to my surprise, it was very good.

That was over 60 years ago. I tried cooking cabbage but mine was not good like hers and I would end up forgetting the cabbage in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator and it would get old before I used it all. I think I finally have it figured out. I believe the secret is butter and just a little water.

I'm cooking cabbage more often now than ever. My husband and I have added more beans, vegetables and fruit to our diet. It seems to be healthy and working well for us plus it's a lot easier and cheaper eating this way.

Yield: 2 servings

• 1/4 of a head of cabbage
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • salt & pepper to taste

1. Cut out 1/4 of the head of cabbage
  2. Advertisement

3. Remove the core. Slice the remainder in strips.
  4. Place 1/4 cup water in a small sauce pan.
  5. Add cabbage. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place 2 Tbsp. butter on top of cabbage.
  6. Cover with a lid and bring the water to a boil on high heat.
  7. Reduce the heat and simmer until desired tenderness. Approximately 10-12 minutes.
  8. Advertisement

9. Enjoy!

Melt margarine in heavy saucepan. Add onion, cabbage, salt, and dill seeds. Cover and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Add sour cream and serve hot. Makes 6-8 servings.

Cut cabbage up to nice size pieces. Put in pan to accommodate the amount of cabbage. Add water just to top. Add onion and sugar and cook until cabbage is limp.

I like the tangy taste of this recipe!

Place cabbage in a large baking dish. Combine beef, rice, onion, egg, salt and pepper, and thyme. Shape into 6-8 patties and arrange on cabbage.

Dissolve brown sugar in hot water in a saucepan; add tomato sauce and lemon juice.

I am looking for cabbage recipes.

By Joe Pearce from Hamilton, ON

Answers

This is a great website for all kinds of recipes. Just use the search box at the top of the site.
http://www.recipezaar.com

KFC Cole Slaw from Top Secret Recipes:
www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipedetail.asp?sessionid=&login...

I am looking for recipes using cabbage.

Jean from Saxe, VA

Answers

http://www.recipezaar.com

Type cabbage in the search bar. Tons of recipes to choose from.

Cabbage is great in salads (and even more nutritional than lettuce) :-) I often use half cabbage and half romaine lettuce along with other salad goodies like tomatoes and avocado :-)

I live alone and can't use an entire head even when using it for cooking so I ask the produce worker of the day to please cut one in half for me since it's sold by the pound ... They gladly do it and the other half always sells :-)

If I think I'll not be able to use even the half a cabbage I purchase, I have a neighbor who loves it so I share it with her and she in turn shares something of hers that she knows she can't finish before spoiling :-)

Picled cabbageKem Chi usually referred to as a Vietnamese dish. This is good for a snack or as a side dish. Soak cabbage -- usually won bok cabbage in a salt solution and weigh down the cabbage. Then find a pickling recipe that you like that includes pepper seeds and some hot spice.

Combine pickled cabbage and pickling water in a jar and let sit in fridge to get cabbage and spices to marry. Some grocery stores have the seasoned packages and instructions in the asian sections or google the instructions.

The New York Times website has several cabbage recipes. Here's the link:

topics.nytimes.com/.../index.html

Oops, the server didn't like my fractions. Here is another try.

Cajun Style Cabbage

1 lb. ground beef
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 10-oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
one/half cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tsp salt
one/half tsp dried basil
one/half tsp dried oregano
one/fourth to one/half tsp white pepper
one/fourth to one/half tsp black pepper
one/fourth to one/half tsp cayenne pepper
4 to 6 drops hot pepper sauce
1 small head cabbage, chopped
1 or 2 cups shredded Colby cheese

In a skillet, cook the beef, green pepper, onion, and garlic until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice and seasonings. Spread into an ungreased 9 X 13-inch pan, mixing with cabbage. Top with cheese. Cover and bake at 350 F for 65 to 75 minutes or until rice is tender.

Hamburger-Cabbage Casserole

1 pound lean hamburger
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup instant rice, uncooked
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 can tomato soup
1/4 cup water (to rinse out the soup can)
4 cups cabbage or coleslaw mix

Cook beef and onion; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon into ungreased 2 quart casserole. Cover. Bake in 400 degree oven for 45 minutes. 6 servings

This is similar to other BACON-FRIED CABBAGE recipes I've read here, but it's very easy (and SOOO good!)

Slice a cabbace thinly, then chop into 1 1/2" pieces. Cook 2 strips of bacon until done and crisp; remove from pan and set aside on a paper towel to drain. Stir cabbage into the bacon fat. Salt lightly, add 2 tablespoons of vinegar, and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Crumble the bacon over the cabbage and stir well. Cook covered for 15-20 minutes, checking frequently.

Baked cabbage makes a delicious side dish and is easy to make. Here are some recipes to try. This page contains baked cabbage recipes.

Pan with slices of baked cabbage.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

These delectable low carb cabbage rolls are sure to be hit with anyone who eats them. This page contains Italian sausage stuffed cabbage rolls recipe.

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

This page contains roasted cabbage recipes. Cabbage is such a versatile vegetable; it can be prepared in many delicious ways.

Roasted Cabbage

Red cabbage is often used in German recipes, but lends itself to many possibilities. This page contains recipes using red cabbage.

Red Cabbage on Salad

This page contains cabbage stew recipes. Cabbage stew with your favorite additions is a hearty meal in itself.

ready to serve garbanzo bean stew

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesAugust 21, 2012
🐛
😎
😷
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf63587358.tip.html