Italian Sausage Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
May 24, 2017
These stuffed cabbage rolls have just a little heat from the tomatoes and red chilies, but they are so good you will want to make this again for sure.
Prep Time: 30 min.
Cook Time: 1-1/2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: easy 6
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 can Sriracha diced tomatoes & red chilies
- 1 lg. can pasta sauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 diced onion
- 1/2 sliced onion
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice
- garlic to taste
- 1/2 tsp Italian spice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the center of the cabbage out. Bring a large, wide saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add cabbage and cook for 2 to 8 minutes or until softened; drain.
- Using tongs peel off about 14-16 leaves. Set aside.
- For the filling, in a large bowl combine the hamburger meat, sausage meat, eggs, 1/2 onion, breadcrumbs, uncooked rice, tomatoes, Italian spice, salt and pepper.
- Mix pasta sauce tomatoes, garlic, other 1/2 of onion and Italian spice.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup of the sauce to the meat mixture and mix lightly with a fork.
- In a large flat deep dish put 1/2 of sauce in bottom. Roll the cabbage leaves with the meat.
- Layer cabbage rolls in pan on top of sauce. Add remaining sauce to top.
- Put sliced onion on top for looks.
- Cook in a 350 F oven for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours; until done.
- Internal temperature should be around 165-180F.
May 24, 20170 found this helpful
We put a little of (squeezed) sauerkraut all over the top for flavor.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.