Recipes Using Italian Sausage

Category Sausage
Sweet or spicy Italian sausage is delicious in many recipes, and can be substituted for hamburger for a different taste. This page contains recipes using Italian sausage.

Wow! This is about as Italian as it gets. This dish can be made with both the chicken and sausage or just one or the other. I used chicken thighs but chicken breasts will work just fine, and one of my photos shows chicken breasts. Your choice in tweaking little things like that.

• 1 Tbsp salt
  • 10 oz rigatoni, cooked al dente, rinsed, Drain, Reserving pasta water
  • 4 oz fresh baby spinach (I buy the package in the salad section)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1.2 fresh red bell pepper, 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp basil flakes
  • 2 Tbsp fresh shredded parmesan cheese
  • 2 large cloves of garlic, thin sliced
  • 2 fresh Sweet Italian sausages, remove the casings
  • 1-2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, pounded thin
  • 4 oz shredded parmesan cheese for topping
  • 1/2 cup pasta water reserved
  • salt and pepper, to taste

1. Ingredients;
  2. Ad

3. After cooking pasta, reserve pasta water! Set aside.
  4. In a bowl, mix up sausage, making small nickel size patties and using a non-stick pan cook in olive oil on both sides until cooked. Add garlic for two minutes. Remove sausage to paper towels, to absorb any oil. Now, slice your chicken in long thin slices. Cook chicken in the oil with the garlic until there is no pink. Add lemon juice and red peppers and pepper flakes. Toss back into skillet. Add baby spinach, tossing gently, top with parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
  5. Now, you will need a large deep skillet for the rest of this recipe. First add sausage, chicken, and oil with garlic.
  6. Add, pasta, pesto, 1/4 cup of reserved pasta water, add more as needed; add salt & pepper to taste. Stir in baby spinach gently stirling. Top with Parmesan Cheese. Drizzle with olive oil. Keeping on a low temperature, and keeping it hot. Taste test for Salt & Pepper. Serve in a nice Pasta bowl. It looks amazing. I always heat my pasta bowl in the oven on low, keeps the dish from cooling off, or if your dish can't go in the oven, soak in hot water for five minutes, dry it just before serving.
  7. Ad

8. Enjoy, From my family to yours

These sausage hoagies are wonderful for a fast meal. They are nutritious, delicious, and done in one skillet.

Prep Time: 10 min

Cook Time: 20-30 min

Total Time: 40 min

Yield: 2

• 2 green peppers, sliced
  • 2 onions onions, liced
  • 3 Italian sweet sausages, mild or hot
  • 3-5 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 3-4 slices provolone cheese

1. Wash and slice your bell peppers. Slice onions.
  2. Sear the sausages in about 3-5 tablespoons of olive oil in skillet.
    I use 3 sausages for (2) hoagies, cutting one sausage in half so each hoagie roll has 1 and 1/2 sausages on them which makes the sausage fit the bun length.
  3. After the sausages are seared for a few minutes, add your sliced onions to the skillet.
  4. Add bell pepper slices to the skillet with your sausages, and salt and pepper everything.
  5. Cook until tender, about 20 or so minutes with a lid on the skillet. When the peppers and onions are tender, your sausage will be cooked too. Top with provolone cheese slices. Allow the cheese to melt.
  6. Place Hoagie rolls into pre-heated 400 F oven for only a few minutes to make the outside of the roll golden browned.
  7. Cut the hoagie rolls lengthwise and spoon in the sausage first, then add the cooked onions and bell peppers with the melted Provolone cheese. Enjoy!

They don't need to be as packed as I make them, which would allow one to eat it like a hoagie with their hands. We like them over-flowing and use a fork for all the extra goodies that fall out all over the plate.

We joke around whenever we have something this "stuffed" and say: This isn't something you want to eat while you're driving! Haha!

Cut onion and green pepper in thin strips and saute in small amount of oil. Brown sausage, if desired. Combine all ingredients in large pan. Add tomato paste, water, and Italian seasonings.

Enjoy a simple pasta salad for a quick meal. This page contains Italian sausage and pea pasta salad.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

If you have a recipe that calls for sausage, and you don't have sausage, but do have hamburger, try this: Add 1 pkg. of Italian seasoning dressing mix. You will have it close to tasting like sausage.

Great tasting, cheap, and everyone loves it!

Brown ground beef and onion. Slices garlic and add salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, tomato paste, water and tomato sauce to meat. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Cook lasagna noodles as label directs. Drain and cover with cold water.

Fry sausage and drain. Put tomatoes, peppers, onions and sausage in a bowl. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Mix in bowl. Slice squash. Put layer of squash in bottom of 9x13 dish.

Adding your favorite sausage to homemade soup makes for an even heartier main dish meal. This page contains sausage soup recipes.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I like Italian sausage cooked with bell peppers and onions. I had to find a healthy way to reduce cholesterol, avoid grease, and I am trying to avoid beef, therefore I use ground turkey or Morningstar Farms meatless products.

Love the Italian sausage in this recipe.

My parents and I really enjoy sweet Italian sausage. We have very limited ways of preparing it. Normally we fry or grill them and eat them on hotdog buns or bagels. We would really appreciate any casserole dishes or other ways to prepare these sausage. We looked in a couple cook books with no success what so ever.

Thank you.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

Answers

What I do is to add the sweet sausage to meat sauce but first I steam my sausage in a fry pan with filled water not covering the sausage and cover the pan leaving a slight opening this way. Here it steams all the fat out and it tastes better then I just add it to my sauce that has already been cooking, it gives the sauce a better flavor and the taste of the sausage with the sauce it quite yummy and you can add meatballs or a thin slice of center cut pork chop (you can just throw the chop in the sauce and it will cook fully in the sauce).

If you take the skin off the sausage or just buy the sausage meat you can also make sausage burgers which are really good too on the grill.

Anonymous

Here's a good recipe for Tuscan sausage soup:
http://www.reci  e-and-bean-soup/

A good one for a casserole:

http://www.cook  ge_casserole.htm

There are oodles of assorted yummy sounding sweet sausage recipes here by top chefs:
http://www.food  nSearchType=site

And for kielbasa recipes you were also asking about:
http://www.food  nSearchType=site

A pretty quick way we always prepare it is to take the Italian sausage links and cut them into coins. Take a 1-2" deep skillet and add about a tablespoon of minced or chopped garlic and enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan and go a bit up the sides and start to heat it up (you can add a pat or two of butter for richness if you like).

Let the pan barely simmer for a little while to blend the garlic flavor into the oil but not burn. Then add sliced peppers and onions and the sausage coins and sauté them all together until veggies are crisp tender and sausage is cooked through. Pour over cooked cheese tortellini or your favorite cooked pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and a bit of crushed red pepper.

Stir and add more oil if necessary and serve.

Note - you can also swap out the pasta for brown rice, lentils, barley or quinoa and/or mix up the veggies and seasonings used for something different too. We often add a handful of spinach, chard or kale to the skillet, toward the end of the cooking process, until it's wilted before pouring over the pasta.

You can try going to any sausage makers site and look at their recipes and just swap out your Italian sweet sausage for their sausage. For example you could go to Al Fresco's web site where they have chicken sausage recipes and you would just replace with your type of sausage in the recipe instead. http://www.alfr  amp;group=dinner

You can remove the meat from the casings, and use it like ground beef for spaghetti, lasagne, meatloaf, meatballs, etc. I usually mix it with a little gound pork or beef, to stretch the sausage a little.
It adds a different, nice taste to these meals.

An update to my previous answer: I made this dish last night and measured out the olive oil I used in the skillet and it was 3/4 of a cup. Just wanted to put down something a little more difinitive for everyone :~)

We learned from my husband's grandmother to make Italian Sausage and spaghetti. We now love it more than meatballs. Just fry up the sausage and slice. Add the slices to your spaghetti sauce and let it simmer. It's a great change from meatballs or meat sauce. We take it notch up by using Hot Italian Sausage for a little more spice.