Best Detergent for Washing Dishes by Hand in Hard Water

Which liquid detergent can you use to wash dishes by hand in hard water? I need a product that will keep the suds.

By Freda from Tulsa, OK

I don't know if it is my imagination or not but I have noticed that it seems to take more detergent than it used to, to make enough suds for cleaning. Has anyone noticed that? I usually use Dawn or whatever is on sale. I don't think there is that much difference.

I use the clear kind that has bleach in it. You can also add a little baking soda to your water. It will soften it, good luck.

Hi and thanks Laniegirl for saying that it appears to take more liquid than it used to. I just said this a few days ago.

I use Dawn and like it but it is watery now so I am sure other brands are also. It just takes a lot more to make and Hold any suds.

In the days gone by - I added water to my liquid dish soap because it was so thick!

I use the Member's Mark brand from Sam's club and put it in a pump bottle (like hand lotion) about 10-12 pumps are all that's needed to do a whole days dishes for all four of us.

Our water here is like drinking rocks. I know of one woman who dissolves a little Epsom salts in a little water and mixes it into her laundry and dish soaps to "soften" the water that way. She says it works.

We have well water & I have always used original green Palmolive but the other day, I purchased the new Dawn (kind to hands) dish washing soap. I find it produces lots of suds & Dawn always gets rid of grease, etc. Although it was hard on the hands but I bought this one.

Cybergrannie, I see we are both grannies. Maybe we are the only ones who remember it used to be thick. Same here, most of the time when it was thick I had way too many suds. I am sure that the manufacturers are not going to advertise it as "the new watered down version" LOL

As I am adding the hot water to the sink, I add about one tablespoon of baking soda to the water and swish it around to dissolve. I then add the dish detergent.

Baking soda will soften the water and cut grease. I keep the baking soda in an old plastic Parmesan cheese container near the sink and shake it in. This is also good when you need a little extra scrubbing power for those extra dirty dishes or pans.

I like Dawn also but the regular one was too drying to my hands. Dawn makes one that is gentle to your hands. It still cleans well but keeps your hands from drying.

Another tip that I read on this site is to mix liquid hand dishwashing detergent with baking soda and make a paste. This works great to scrub bathtubs, sinks, etc.

Hand Washing Dishes
Hand Washing Dishes
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesJanuary 23, 2010
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Best Detergent for Washing Baby Clothes
Best Detergent for Washing Baby Clothes
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
washing machine drum
Cleaning Hard Water Stains in a Washing Machine Drum
🎉
🎄