Raspberries Advice

Question:

I desperately want to grow raspberries but last year when I bought several stocks, they QUICKLY died. I think it might be due to lack of water or some heat issues during the summer... but I'm not positive. I have been told that berries in my area us REALLY hard to pull off. Any suggestions?

Imama2many from UT

Answer:

Imama2many,

Your hunch about heat and water issues being the cause of your raspberry casualties is probably correct. Raspberries tend to prefer cool, moist conditions. Once established, they should be watered infrequently, but deeply. Growing them in your region can pose some unique challenges due to the abundance of microclimates. There are several commercial growers in the northern part of your state though, so if you are desperate to grow some do not give up. There is always hope when gardening!

The climate and soil conditions in Utah are extremely diverse so before you invest in new plants, make sure you have a good idea of the pH, salt content and overall condition of your soil. Raspberries like nutrient-rich well-drained soil, so if a lot of conditioning is needed to bring your soil up to speed, you may want to consider building some raised beds and bringing in new soil.

Purchase new plants in the spring and get them into the ground as soon as possible (dont worry about frost, raspberries are cold hardy). Some varieties are more suitable to your climate (for example, black raspberries tend to fair better in heat) so make sure to shop at a reputable local nursery rather than a large discount home center. The following links are specific instructions for growing raspberries in Utah:

Personally, I lost many canes to deer and bunnies this winter.

Good luck!

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

I live in Ca and berries come out "bare root" in Jan and Feb for planting. They are dormant during the winter months. And yes, they do need a lot of water at first; mulching around the base helps conserve. But once established they can take some heat. You might want to try planting them in a shadier spot of your yard. They do okay in a little shade and it might help them survive the hot summer.

Hope this helps!

Excellent website for help in growing raspberries:

http://www.inberry.com/raspbprodc.html

Good luck!

I had lots of trouble getting raspberries started too, until a friend told me that they need to be planted on the shallow side. (do NOT plant very deeply--err on the short side.)

Good luck-

Cheryl

I would suggest contacting your County Extension Office. The Extension Agent, or County Agent, should be able to give you helpful advice on soils in the area and what Raspberry plants might need for healthy growth.

They need to be planted in soil that has been amended with well rotted compost (preferrable manure). The first 1 -2 years they need to be water a lot (every other day, depending on soil type). Once they take hold watch out....they grow like weeds. We put old carpet between the rows so that they didn't become overgrown and so we could walk between the rows to pick. It will take about 3 years before you get a good crop, but once they start producing you will have raspberries coming out of your ears!

Home and Garden Gardening BerriesMarch 13, 2008
Frozen raspberries.
Freezing Raspberries
Raspberries
Recipes Using Raspberries
Chocolate Stuffed Raspberries
Chocolate Stuffed Raspberries
Raspberries on White Background
Selecting Good Raspberries
🎄
🍂