Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Uses for Old Keys

Old keys cry out for a new crafty life. There are many interesting projects you can undertake to create something fun and useful from old keys. This is a guide about uses for old keys.

Recycled Key Wind Chime

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about key wind chime. Many people enjoy the soothing sounds of wind chimes. You can make your own using old keys.

September 23, 2012 Flag

Purchase an inexpensive Styrofoam cone, actually more of a pyramid, at a craft store. Get one about 8-10 inches tall, that has sides (or larger, if you have a lot of old keys and only want to make one).

Paint the old keys gold. Painting only one side is okay. If more color is needed, use metallic paint of additional hues for some/all of the keys.

The natural sparkle of the Styrofoam seems to lend a bit of a festive air to the decoration, so no paint is needed on the tree itself.

Using straight pins, stick one where you want the top of a key to go, leaving about 1/4 inch sticking out. Hang a key on this, then use another key to prop the key at whatever angle you wish. Keep doing this until you have created the look you desire. Leaving blank spaces between keys gives an attractive look.

You can also made the trees in several sizes with the corresponding keys: small cone, luggage keys, etc. Also, varying the sizes of keys on the larger cones is an option.

I have one that I made years ago, and it still looks great!

By varying the Styrofoam shapes you could also make other decorations, such as cylinders for faux candles, cubes, etc.

Source: A craft magazine back in the 70s, I think.

By Cay from Green Cove Springs, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have many old keys and thought this would be a great way to use some of them. I'm having a problem visualizing this though. Is there a way you could post a picture of the one you have?

Thank You,

D'borah 1227

Create a simple decorator touch for your family room or front hallway using old keys.

Directions:

Gather a few old keys from rummage sales or flea markets or ask your friends or family if you can get a few.

Cut fabric to fit securely behind the frame, securing it to the back or cut a piece of cardboard to fit if it doesn't have one.

Stitch your keys on, either through the eye or other place on the key.

You can also stitch the keys in place before the fabric is attached to the back.

Next, fit the back with the fabric and secure it with staples or small nails.

If you want to you can add picture hanging wire or even attach a pop tab to the back (or two) to hang it on the wall.

The frame I used wasn't deep enough to do this project using glass in the front.

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Editor's Note: Caution: These old keys are usually made from lead. Keep away from young children.

Craft ideas using old keys. Ideas include necklaces, wind chimes, picture frames and more.

With keys and locks being a fashionable jewelry theme right now, you can make trendy pieces for very little. I put a large key from an antique store on a ball chain for a great casual necklace.

October 8, 2008 Flag

I love to find new uses for old things. I have tons of keys and was wondering if anyone had any idea what could be done with them?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our daughter made a beautiful sounding wind chime from old keys. The top of the wind chime was the bottom of a two liter soda bottle. Holes were punched with an icepick and nylon string used to hang the keys. It has lasted 18 years; this year I restrung it. It has a beautiful tone.

Please don't give old (or new) keys to infants or toddlers. They are a lead poisoning hazard.

http://www.ucsf  eysen011804.pdf-

If you have any left and want to be done with them, you might want to give them to a school - - to use as "counters" to help younger kids with math skills. I had a small box of them in my second grade classroom and the kids loved them!

I saw a TV show where they soldered/welded them together to make tables, plant stands, and other stuff. You need lots of keys, planning, and a great bit of imagination, but the items looked really neat.

Use as a paper weight.

December 18, 2011 Flag

I want ideas on what to do with different kinds of keys? Thanks.

By Sue from IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make a card that says you hold the key to my heart, and glue it on the card.

November 17, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know of any organization collecting keys for children whose homes have no chimneys? I have a bunch to get rid of and would love to donate to this specific program.

By Gem from Gordonsville, VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I teach kindergarten and would love to make these for my students. My address is PO Box 58 Barrackville WV 26559 if anyone has any donations!

Thanks, Kindergarten Connie

Crafts Recycled CraftsOctober 19, 2011
Various keys hanging from hooks.
Organizing Keys
Keys hanging on a row of hooks.
Remembering Your Keys
Keys on Keyring
Keeping Track of Your Keys
Recycled Key Wind Chime
Making a Recycled Key Wind Chime
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 2:09:19 PM on 10.0.2.31 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.