Uses for Old Keys

Old keys cry out for a new crafty life. There are many interesting projects you can undertake to create something fun and useful from old keys. This is a guide about uses for old keys.

Ring of old keys.
Filter Sort

Question: Uses For Old Keys

By Kristie 1 2

I love to find new uses for old things. I have tons of keys and was wondering if anyone had any idea what could be done with them?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr392748 Flag

Use as a paper weight.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Making a Recycled Key Wind Chime

Recycled Key Wind ChimeThis is a guide about key wind chime. Many people enjoy the soothing sounds of wind chimes. You can make your own using old keys.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Christmas Key Cone

By Carolyn C. Cooke 19 222

Purchase an inexpensive Styrofoam cone, actually more of a pyramid, at a craft store. Get one about 8-10 inches tall, that has sides (or larger, if you have a lot of old keys and only want to make one).

Paint the old keys gold. Painting only one side is okay. If more color is needed, use metallic paint of additional hues for some/all of the keys.

The natural sparkle of the Styrofoam seems to lend a bit of a festive air to the decoration, so no paint is needed on the tree itself.

Using straight pins, stick one where you want the top of a key to go, leaving about 1/4 inch sticking out. Hang a key on this, then use another key to prop the key at whatever angle you wish. Keep doing this until you have created the look you desire. Leaving blank spaces between keys gives an attractive look.

You can also made the trees in several sizes with the corresponding keys: small cone, luggage keys, etc. Also, varying the sizes of keys on the larger cones is an option.

I have one that I made years ago, and it still looks great!

By varying the Styrofoam shapes you could also make other decorations, such as cylinders for faux candles, cubes, etc.

Source: A craft magazine back in the 70s, I think.

By Cay from Green Cove Springs, FL

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Craft Projects to Make with Keys

I want ideas on what to do with different kinds of keys? Thanks.

By Sue from IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By coville123 326 89 Flag

Make a card that says you hold the key to my heart, and glue it on the card.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keys for Santa Organizations

By gem 154 262

Does anyone know of any organization collecting keys for children whose homes have no chimneys? I have a bunch to get rid of and would love to donate to this specific program.

By Gem from Gordonsville, VA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By sicangu 1 Flag

I teach kindergarten and would love to make these for my students. My address is PO Box 58 Barrackville WV 26559 if anyone has any donations!

Thanks, Kindergarten Connie

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Article: Craft Uses for Keys

Information Tags

You can use a Dremel (or similar brand tool) to both cut the "teeth" section off the key and engrave information on the large section. Similar to a dog tag. You can then use these "tags" for identify pets and belongings (luggage perhaps?) Small key rings are available at most hobby and craft stores, as well as Walmart.

By kidseatfree

A Key for Santa

If you know of any small kids who live in a house or apartment that doesn't have a fireplace they may be concerned about how Santa Claus will get into their house. Go on the internet and do a search for "Santa's Magic Key". You can use any kind of key but the larger the better. You run Christmas ribbon through it and print out one of the poems that comes with the instructions. I print out the poem, laminate it, punch a hole and run it through the same ribbon. You may spend about a dollar per key, and you can sell them for up to $5.00. I've been doing this for a couple of years and I always sell a few and give away a few. Good luck!

By Margaret

Wind Chimes

Drift Wood and Fishing Line

I made a windchime from some "unknown" keys. I used old house keys, trunk keys, lock keys, etc. I put with the lighter, smaller ones at the bottom of each row and them tied at different levels with fishing line. I hung them from a small piece of driftwood. I used small eye hooks to hang 5 rows of 4 to 5 keys, and 2 larger eye hooks at each end on top of the driftwood. Love the other ideas here too!

By Reen1960

Pop Bottle Wind Chimes

Use the top of a 2 liter pop bottle and cut it where to top of the label is. Then poke some holes and hang the keys from the holes. It's a good craft for kids.

By PICO

Key Box

I once saw a small box covered with glued on keys. It was really cute. Maybe paint the box black so the silver and gold keys really show up.

By Ginnee

My Ideas

• Make a key windchime.
  • Hot glue them on a picture frame.
  • Make earrings and necklaces out of them.

By rosa

Key Bracelet

Many years ago I saw in a movie magazine a lovely bracelet made by an actress. It was made of a variety of keys, it was very "antique looking" and was really attractive. The bracelet itself was a chain to which the keys were attached.

By Miranda.

Keeping Drapes Straight

If you want to keep the drapes and curtains straight - put keys in the hem.

By Susie

Old Key Necklace

I made a necklace out of part of my collection of old keys. There is 11 keys on the necklace with a one inch space between each key.

By jennifer

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Keys and Locks for Jewelry

By pam munro 522 790

With keys and locks being a fashionable jewelry theme right now, you can make trendy pieces for very little. I put a large key from an antique store on a ball chain for a great casual necklace.

For Valentine's Day, I hung a small lock and key set on a long ribbon, adding a red plastic "jewel" heart - for a specially romantic pendant.

By Pam M. from L.A., CA

Editor's Note: Be cautious around children with antique locks and keys. They are often made of lead.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Crafts Recycled CraftsOctober 19, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Various keys hanging from hooks.
Organizing Keys
Keys hanging on a row of hooks.
Remembering Your Keys
Keys on Keyring
Keeping Track of Your Keys
Man Looking Keys Locked in Car
Solutions for Keys Locked in Car
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 4:06:38 PM on 10.0.2.206 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings