Making a Recycled Key Wind Chime
This is a guide about key wind chime
. Many people enjoy the soothing sounds of wind chimes. You can make your own using old keys.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Take some old keys from long forgotten or lost padlocks, wrecked and binned suitcases, your granny's replaced wooden front door, and the key to untold riches which never quite fitted the lock and make them bright and colorful. Tie them and hang them to make beautiful music when the cold windy weather would otherwise make you miserable.
- an old stick, twig of a tree, a pencil, or a chopstick
- gorgeous ribbons and braids
- unwanted previously loved keys
- acrylic paint and a brush or nail varnish/polish
- Paint your keys. Nail varnish will work better than acrylic paint.
- You will need much patience waiting for several coats to dry. See how I have recycled breakfast cereal packaging to protect my work surface. This has a feel good effect even if it doesn't do much to save the planet.
- Tie ribbons and braids to the keys
- Tie the other ends to your stick I used a spent raspberry cane which worked nicely.
- Tie a final cord for hanging
- Dangle and enjoy.
March 5, 20160 found this helpful
Thanks will try this on my very next craft project
March 26, 20160 found this helpful
This is an interesting project to try and do. Different weights of keys make different sounds.
March 12, 20170 found this helpful
When I make mine I think I will thread the ribbon through the key and bring it back up, maybe tying a tie at the key top. This makes them hang evenly.
I have a thing with crooked pictures, too.
In These Guides