Reuse Take Out Containers for Starting Seedlings

Anyone every wonder what to do with those hard plastic containers which hold a roasted chicken? I get salads with these hard plastic containers too. I just couldn't see throwing them away. So, I was watching a gardening show and they were talking about those packs to start seeds for the garden. I plant a small garden, I just couldn't justify the expense. Then I began looking at a chicken container I'd just emptied and was going to toss. Hey here's the same thing only smaller!

Using these containers I can stagger my plantings and label each mini seed starters. I also am using egg cartons, cutting a dozen egg carton in half is just right and will sit on the raised part of the bottom. so if/when I over water, the pots don't sit in water. When planting, I just slit the carton and put it in, no transplant shock either. So now, my produce won't be ripening all at the same time and my growing season will be extended. I look forward to seeing these seeds grow.

And hey, if you have kids, let them do this and watch their interest in eating their produce. (smile)

By Dee from Salem, OR

Great idea! I'll try it.

I've bought mesclun greens at Sam's in large rectangular containers, and knew instinctively to save them for starting seeds. Right now I have a container of multicolored bell peppers, heirloom tomatoes, and leeks in three separate containers. It's really nice that the containers are clear and have lids--they acted as mini-greenhouses until the seeds sprouted. Now, as the seedlings grow, I can add soil to establish hearty root systems. Almost every seed I planted has sprouted. I can't believe how much I've saved by starting with seeds rather than buying established plants.

Thanks for that great idea. I planted chilli seeds in a chicken takeaway container yesterday but I'm not sure if I should punch holes in the lid and/or base, or if I just leave it sealed. Happy planting!

No need for holes in the containers. When sealied, it acts as a terrarium and is self contained.

Starting Seedlings
Starting Seedlings
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsMarch 10, 2009
Craft Ideas for Creamer Containers
Crafts Using Single Serving Cream Containers
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
aster seedlings
Keeping Seedlings From Dying
🎉
🎄