Starting Seedlings

Category Seeds
Give your seedlings a head start by planting early. Start indoors if you garden in colder climates. This is a page about starting seedlings.

I used a discarded zip container that a comforter was in and an unused Rubbermaid container to start an indoor greenhouse. I used peat pots and seeds gleaned from last fall's bounty. In a week, the seeds have started to sprout! I placed it inside in a sunny window.

By Katy from Amherst, VA

If you're looking for a non messy way to start seed, this is it.

Starting Seedlings In Kitty Litter - seedlings sprouting in crystal type kitty litter

My tip is saving all the polystyrene cups you get at take outs, and use them for potting up seedlings. The take-away trays can be used as mini propagators sitting nicely along a sunny window; no need for a big glass house.

Anyone every wonder what to do with those hard plastic containers which hold a roasted chicken? I get salads with these hard plastic containers too. I just couldn't see throwing them away.

I save the cardboard centers from toilet paper. These are excellent for starting seeds for my garden in the early spring. When the conditions are right for planting, I simply plant seedling in its cardboard core.

In addition to serving as "food" in a few months, these plantings are helping me to "Think Spring" and avoid the winter blues! Some of the planters have just one seed-type, others have a variety.

Veggie Seedlings

This is a quick tip for starting those seedlings inside. I get people to save me their plastic cups from 7-11.

They are perfect for starting plants and with the dome lid, it is like a mini greenhouse.

Start your seeds in plants already growing in the house instead of using many small cups for starting your plants ahead of the growing season. Just plant them right along with other plants you have growing in the house. When they get big enough to transplant, you can move them into other containers or directly into your garden.

Planting seedlings in a small container.

Tips for starting seeds. Post your ideas.

Answers

By sandy (Guest Post)

i dont have good luck with seeds. but my boss gave us seeds for Easter. they alweays look soo puny when they come up and then they die.

what am i doing wrong.

Try starting a few flowers or vegetables from seed in the house.

By ptreskovich

Start all of your seeds in egg shells. No need to transplant them since you can put the shell right in the ground and they will act as a fertilizer.

By sewingmamma

Start seeds in cardboard egg cartons filled with a little soil. When your seedlings get big enough to transplant, cut the sections apart, slit the cardboard just a bit (it will be soft) and plant the egg carton and seedling together.

By Linda

Use disposable roasting pans to start flowers and seeds inside. Only $1.00 each at a dollar store, and way cheaper than the "official starters".

By Liz

By Sue (Guest Post)

For the person who received seeds for Easter. Make sure you use a sterile seed starting mix and not regular potting soil. You also have to make sure the soil stays moist and never dries out. Regular potting soil has all kinds of bacteria, etc. which will make the plants leggy and "dampen off". I have had plenty experience now with starting seeds and have learned my lesson on this topic. Also, once the weather starts getting warmer you should bring the plants outside and get them accustomed to the outside temperatures before actually planting them in the ground.

The little plastic "clamshell" to go boxes or containers from the deli, are excellent for starting seeds. Punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage, add soil, plant seeds and close the lid. Place in sunny spot (mine are on the shelf of my barbecue). The hothouse effect works really well. Be sure to open when the seedlings need the space, and keep it moist. (you should see condensation on the lid).

By Linda

Heat a metal barbecue skewer in the flame on the stove and use it to poke holes in containers you want to use for starting seeds. The hole will melt thru, and the plastic container won't crack.

By Linda

What is the reason for covering seed trays with glass when the trays are to be left in a greenhouse?

By Clive from Staffordshire, UK

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Photo Description
Am I the only one who thinks that the birth of a seed is a beautiful, artistic miracle?

Photo Location
NE, PA

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Photo Description
ThriftyFun is asking us to share our gardening photos. At this time, my garden is under snow and frozen slush. I love gardening, and this nasty weather can really put me in the dumps. I find the best way to lift my spirits is to get some plants started indoors. I visit my little 'grow area' several times a day. I always walk away feeling a little bit better.

Shown here, is a small cardboard box filled with little cells I made from telephone book pages. Planted within are Pink Beefsteak tomato seed. In my area, the last frost date is around April, 15. At that time, these little babies should be just the right size for transplanting outside.

Photo Location
My home, North Carolina

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Snow on the ground doesn't need to hinder your getting an early start on planting your spring seeds. Grab some gallon milk jugs and follow the steps in this page for starting seeds in the snow.

Starting Seeds in the Snow - planted jugs with seed packets in foreground

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Recycle your milk jugs by adding holes to the screw style caps and the handle and to use for watering seedlings in your garden. This is a page about using a plastic milk jug for watering seedlings.

person watering seedlings

This is a page about starting seeds in egg cartons. This common household food container that often ends up in the garbage, can be reused to get your garden started.

Seed starts in Egg Carton

Load More

Home and Garden Gardening SeedsJanuary 22, 2013
📓
😷
🐛
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Starting-Seedlings.html