SeedsGardening

Starting Seedlings In Kitty Litter

If you're looking for a non messy way to start seed, this is it.

I currently do not have a cat and I'm not familiar with all the different types of kitty litter. I do know there is a clay based litter and a crystals type.

The crystals type I have contains oxygen which is released slowly. This is stated in the list of ingredients. It is an ideal, soilless medium for starting seed. Though you could use this kitty litter for sowing large amounts of seed, I find it perfect for starting small amounts of seed on a sunny window sill.

Just fill a small container (such as a pudding cup with drain holes), 3/4 full with litter. Sow seeds on top of litter and add more litter to cover seed. Place cup in another cup with no holes or use a saucer, etc.

Carefully add water to the seed cup so as not to disturb the seed. The litter will not hold water (and this is good), but it must always remain moist. I keep a small spray bottle filled with water nearby and spritz the seeds 2-3 times a day as needed.

You should have good success using this litter as it contains no harmful bacteria or other microbes which could cause damping off. When the seedlings have formed a good root system, they can be transplanted to their permanent location.

Smart! And even though kitties poop in it, it kinda looks pretty.

Ha Ha! You are too much, Friend Girl. Perhaps I should have stated 'Clean, unused kitty litter.

Never considered someone might use the second hand stuff. Ghastly.

Could you show us the results ? Because I don't believe that seeds will germinate in cat litter. Cat litter is made to dehydrate cat's poo and absorb urine by contact. A seed or plant first need is water and moisture and warmth and it will die if dehydrated because plant main constituant is water. Oxygen is a bleaching agent. Just take a look at the color of black shoes a few days after you have walked in the snow. Bleaching is not what seeds need to germinate. Cat's litter is supposed to contain antiseptic ingredients but seeds and plants actually needs bacteria and live with the help of bacteria. It is not the plants that turn leaves or pieces of vegetal and wood into soil it is, among others factors, the milliards of bacteria in the soil.

Some others types of cat litters would even be worse as they contain lime, this is why it is written on the boxes to avoid breathing when pouring the litter into the box, or that litter has been made so that it will not produce dust when being poured. Lime dehydrating effect is extremely strong this is why it can cause terrible burns of the skin when you use cement with bare hands and seeds definitely can't germinate in lime. So like Saint Thomas I am waiting to see the pictures of seeds germinating in cats litter to believe that cat litter which purpose is to dehydrate and aseptise is perfect to start plants.

PS : I live with 4 cats and for their confort and my health and my budget I keep informed about litter.

Home and Garden Gardening SeedsMarch 27, 2018
🎃
🌻
🎂