Kitty Litter Tips and Tricks

Keeping the litter contained and the odor under control make a cat box tolerable. This guide contains kitty litter tips and tricks.

To keep clumping kitty litter from sticking to the bottom of the pan, spray it with non-stick cooking spray before adding the litter. It works like a charm!

These are my babies, Mya (left) and Max (right). They are spoiled rotten and totally inseparable. Anytime I take a picture of them it looks as if they're always hugging. Actually in this picture, Max took time out from attacking Mya to pose for a picture. He's such a bratty little brother!

By Melissa

If you have cats, go to a restaurant supply store and buy a metal mess scoop that is used to remove items from the deep fryer. Use this as your kitty litter scoop. It will never break, bend, or fail you in any way.

By Brenda

I keep my Walmart grocery bags and use them to put my kitty litter clean-ups in, tie and toss.

By tsunrisebey

I keep my litter box in my bathtub, as I use a flushable litter (Cat's Pride brand - be careful as they make both non-flushable and flushable). It makes it really easy as the toilet's right there. The litter off their feet gets rinsed down the drain. Of course, I take it out to shower myself. I have between 6-8 cats, as I feed the stray cats and take them in my home in the cold weather if they'll stay in.

By cynthia koerner

I add baking soda to plain cat litter to keep it smelling fresher. I usually sprinkle a little on the bottom of the litter box, add the clay litter, then sprinkle a little more baking soda on top of that. Baking soda is relatively inexpensive at Aldi and a small box lasts for several litter box changes.

By Ness

I took a chance and bought a huge bag of wheat kitty litter.

My cat, who is now almost 18 years old, now uses two litter boxes overnight because after one use she doesn't want to go in the same box again. The problem is I have kitty litter granules EVERYWHERE. She tracks the stuff all over the place and I can't seem to keep ahead of the mess. I no sooner clean it up and it's all over the place again. Can anyone suggest any sort of litter that, first of all the cat will use (not pine nuggets), and secondly won't cling to her paws for her to drag all over the house? Thanks, I'm getting desperate.

Bonnie

Answers

By Natalia (Guest Post)

I had the same problem a while back. It might depend on the age, the breed, the size, or maybe the type of litter. You should experiment with different kinds of litter if you have not already. If your cat has long fur, it might naturally stick to it's fur for obvious reasons. However, since your cat is around 18 years old, I wonder how long you have had this problem. If it has gone on most of it's life, then try one of these solutions. If not, you might want to try to find a reason why this has happened around the time it started, such as different carpet, different litter, extreme change in fur length or texture, grooming supplies, vet change or anything else you can think of.

If you need more help, try to search online for different types of litter. Some kinds work for some cats and some don't. Also, don't hesitate to ask your vet or pet store if you have not already.

Hi, my cat will not do this(she's 7yrs. old + stuck in her ways) but if you'll buy a litter box with a hood on it , that should keep it off the floor so much.
Also, at the pet superstore they sell these mats that have sort of "shag" carpet(plastic)that catches the litter as they step out of the box.
Hope this helps! I lost my other cat at 13yrs. old, so yours is doing great to be here at 18!!!

you could possibly keep her in 1 room overnight to make for easier cleanup and maybe you could also get her a bed and encourage her to sleep in it by putting an old shirt of yours with your scent on it in it. also, if she is urinating more frequently than she used to, you should call the vet seeing as it could be related to other health complications requiring meds. when i used to work for a vet we encountered this situation often with older kitties

By Rhiannon (Guest Post)

If you're feeling industrious, here's what we did for our three cats. My (now ex) husband built a wooden box (like a toybox) with a hinged lid and a hole cut in the side like a door. We lined the inside with easy to clean vinyl (just some scraps from our kitchen flooring). The box was big enough to hold the litter box and had about a foot of extra floor space so the cats could "shake off" before exiting the box.

We put a nubby-textured litter mat from Walmart in the extra floor space.

As a bonus, you can pad and upholster the hinged lid with some quilt batting, fabric of your choice, and a staple gun and, tada! you have an attractive "litter bench" for your mudroom/laundry room. It also helps keep dogs/kids away from the litter box.

As an update, I lost my beloved cat Missy in April of 2005, just about one month short of her 18th birthday. I still miss her of course, but about one month ago finally got another kitten who's adorable (looks a lot like Missy) and really really playful and affectionate, and I'm enjoying having a kitten around again. I named the new kitten Little Miss and call her Miss for short, but sometimes I slip and Missy just comes out of my mouth. I feel a little guilty about calling her that but it just happens so I guess I'll just go with it.

By Jennifer (Guest Post)

I had the same problem and I couldn't find a "better litter" so instead I found a better litterbox. Go to Petsmart and buy a cat litter GRID. It collects the litter off of their paws as they walk on it. However, the trick is getting them to walk on it. I found an awesome cat box called the Kattbank online but it was way too expensive, so I just built my own and put the grid inside with two walls for the cat to weave around on over the grid forcing my cats to walk on the grid. The whole thing cost me around $80.00 instead of $2000.00 like Kattbank costs. Its the best thing I have EVER done for my cats! And the plus side is I never smell the litterbox and no one knows it's a litter box until I tell them, and it's in my living room..

Jennifer,
Do you have a photo of your cat litter grid. I have no idea what these look like or how you used it. Thanks

Anonymous

Go to Amazon & copy & paste the product I've put in quotes below. I've tried a zillion other 'scatter mats' & they were a waste of money;But this product is amazing! No more 3-4 times a day vacuuming! You will be shocked at how well it works!!
"Cat Litter Trapper. EZ Clean. Soft & light. XL Size 30x23 inches. Urine pad Feature with EXCLUSIVE water proof"
Lisa

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

We have 2 very young kittens. Rocky and Rosie are 6 weeks old now. They are really good at using their litter box already. Because there are two tiny kittens running around, the chore must be done very quickly. I use parchment paper to line the litter box. I can empty the litter box, sanitize, reline, and refill it before they know it.

By Cathy from Johns Creek, GA

girl with kittens

Comment Like this photo? 7