Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Growing Hollyhocks in Containers

I started hollyhocks from seed this spring and have transplanted them into a pot, hoping that they would have a chance to grow before the rabbits got to them.

Can I individually plant them in pots and keep them in the house over winter or do they need to go dormant? Can I plant these small plants in MN and have them come back next spring? I'm assuming that this far north they need to be mature plants to reseed themselves. This is the first time I have had hollyhocks and any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 3b

By Dennis N from Tracy, MN

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Growing Hollyhocks in Containers

Can you grow double hollyhocks in big containers?

By Melissa from Eustis, FL

RE: Growing Hollyhocks in Containers

Yes, Hollyhocks can grow in almost any climate as long as they are provided with water, sun and composted soil. Because they can multiply easily, only grow hollyhocks in containers, or be sure to cut them down before they produce seeds. (03/09/2010)

By kffrmw88