Cherry Booze Recipe

Has anyone ever tried or have this recipe "Cherry Booze on a High, Safe Shelf"? I tried it and it didn't turn out like the description in the recipe. I searched and found the person who submitted the recipe, but was unable to contact them. The e-mail address is no longer available.

The sugar is hard like a rock and the cherries have lost their color, but did not dissolve as described.

I would hate to throw it away so I am trying to find a way to fix it if possible. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you. This is the recipe:

Cherry Booze on a High, Safe Shelf

• 1 lb. big perfect Bing cherries
  • 1 lb. sugar
  • 1 fifth gin, vodka, or brandy, 90 proof, if possible

Wash and stem the cherries very gently so as not to bruise them. Dry on a towel. Place them in a clean 2-quart jar. Pour the pound of sugar over the cherries. DO NOT stir or shake. Pour the liquor over the sugar and cherries. DO NOT stir. Cover with a lid.

Put the jar on a high, safe shelf and let it stand three months. Strain into two 1-quart bottles. The cherry meat will be dissolved and the color is "gorgeous" and the taste "divine". Trust me!

Note: Instead of the cherries, you may substitute 1 pound of most any fresh fruit, such as tangerines, oranges, peaches, apricots, plums, etc. Use the fruit unpeeled and follow the above recipe.

By Mike from NE PA / USA

I haven't tried that recipe, but I can honestly say I have never seen any fruit completely dissolve in home brew that we (hubby and I) have made. Granted ours wasn't using vodka or any other hard stuff, but I would think it would act similar. The stuff we have made has set up to 6 months and still had fruit to some degree in the end. So far we have used blueberry, strawberry and oranges in different recipes.

However when I read your post it did remind me of a recipe I remember my mom making a few times when I was a kid. I can't say that I remember eating the brandied fruit, but I do remember her making cake from the fruit. Here is a link to the recipe it reminded me of.

We have made this for years. The fruit does not mush down and can be eaten after the liquor is strained off. It is best left for a number of years as it becomes more mellow with age. Soft fruit like peaches does break down more than cherries, blueberries, etc. We use a gallon jug, fill it 3/4 full of fruit add several cups of sugar and fill jar to the top with a cheap vodka. Then we stir until the sugar dissolves, cap it and place in the back of the closet and forget about it for a few years. After it is strained and decanted into a nice bottle you have a very nice liquor for after dinner!

Hi Mike, I just did some research and zoek is correct that it takes awhile for it to be ready for flavorful consumption but it can be ready as soon as 3 to 6 months. Here is a link with a bit more info:

And another link with a variation of the brew:,jk

Here's a link, a longer, detailed process with wonderful pictures. Perhaps you can read this and discover what you can do to salvage it.

Years ago I knew someone who made something called "Cherry Bounce" that used frozen pie cherries....not Bing cherries. Maybe that's the answer. I don't have the recipe or I'd post it for you. Good luck.

Oops! I guess Deeli and I know the same person who made Cherry Bounce, since we are both from the State of Washington! *LOL*

Home Made Cherry Liqueur
Liqueur Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Beverages AlcoholMarch 4, 2011
Cherry Cobbler
Cherry Cobbler Recipes
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
Photo of cherries hanging on a cherry tree.
Growing Cherries (Cherry Trees)