Deluxe Cream of Tomato Soup

I have an over abundance of tomatoes right now with growing my own so, I made this soup and it is wonderfully delicious! I am planning on making a larger batch and freezing some for over the winter.

• 1 small onion, minced
  • 4 large tomatoes, peeled*, cored, seeded and chopped
  • 2 celery ribs, minced
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 1tsp. sugar
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tsp. fresh dill or 1 tsp. dried
  • salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion and celery; saute gently over medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft but, not browned. Stir in the tomatoes and sugar; simmer 8-10 minutes. Transfer all to a blender and puree. Pour back into pan and add rest of ingredients. Serve with sandwiches or garden salad for a complete meal.

*To peel tomatoes: Submerge for 30 seconds in boiling water. Remove and rinse briefly under cold water. Skins slip right off!

By Ashley from Ephrata, PA

Food and Recipes Recipes Soups Cream OfAugust 6, 2007
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
A bowl of tomato soup with crackers.
Tomato Soup Recipes
Cream of Tomato Soup Recipes