Replacing a Mailbox Post

By Cornelia 45 72

I accidentally knocked over my neighbor's mail box when I backed out of a driveway. It snapped it off at the base. How do I remove the cement and post from the ground? It's a wood post in a round tube of metal set into the sidewalk, with rocks cemented into it. If I do it, it will have to be without a jackhammer, that's more than I can handle, too old for it or a pick-axe. There must be some other way, even if it just removes the wood post.

By nekocat from OR

Showing: Answers Sort

By Terry 2 Flag

If you can get some large spikes driven into the wooden post and get a pry bar to try to pull the post out of the metal tube you should be able to replace just the wood post.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cornelia 45 72 Flag

Thanks! that's the kind of feedback I need! I have the prybar, just need some spikes. and maybe a strong young man. Hmmm. Maybe the freecycle people can help with the spikes, my cousin may be able to help on the strength part.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carol L Craig 21 71 Flag

A few of my neighbor kids were bored one day and decided to knock my mailbox down. I had the same problem as you so what I did was buy a new mailbox and installed it one foot over from where the old one was. Then I just left the cement from the old one in the ground, put some fill dirt over it and planted grass on top of that. I'm not going to take the time to try and dig out a bunch of cement that cannot be re-used any way.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cornelia 45 72 Flag

Happily it turned out that they didn't care how I did it, so I'm trying to find a metal bucket or barrel, bought some quick set cement and will stick it in that. Then they can place it where they want, definitely not directly across from the driveway across the street, what was the city thinking when they did that? And not just once, nearly all of them are like that. Sheesh! Well, it's on it's way.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Repair OtherJune 29, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Nice landscaping around a black mailbox.
Landscaping Around Your Mailbox
maibox in garden
Using a Mailbox for Storing Garden Tools
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:07:31 AM on 10.0.0.168 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings