Replacing a Mailbox Post

I accidentally knocked over my neighbor's mail box when I backed out of a driveway. It snapped it off at the base. How do I remove the cement and post from the ground? It's a wood post in a round tube of metal set into the sidewalk, with rocks cemented into it. If I do it, it will have to be without a jackhammer, that's more than I can handle, too old for it or a pick-axe. There must be some other way, even if it just removes the wood post.

By nekocat from OR

Best Answer

If you can get some large spikes driven into the wooden post and get a pry bar to try to pull the post out of the metal tube you should be able to replace just the wood post.

Best Answer

A few of my neighbor kids were bored one day and decided to knock my mailbox down. I had the same problem as you so what I did was buy a new mailbox and installed it one foot over from where the old one was. Then I just left the cement from the old one in the ground, put some fill dirt over it and planted grass on top of that. I'm not going to take the time to try and dig out a bunch of cement that cannot be re-used any way.

Thanks! that's the kind of feedback I need! I have the prybar, just need some spikes. and maybe a strong young man. Hmmm. Maybe the freecycle people can help with the spikes, my cousin may be able to help on the strength part.

Happily it turned out that they didn't care how I did it, so I'm trying to find a metal bucket or barrel, bought some quick set cement and will stick it in that. Then they can place it where they want, definitely not directly across from the driveway across the street, what was the city thinking when they did that? And not just once, nearly all of them are like that. Sheesh! Well, it's on it's way.

Several snow covered mailboxes at the edge of a snowy field
Replacing a Mailbox Post
Home and Garden Repair OtherJune 29, 2009
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Nice landscaping around a black mailbox.
Landscaping Around Your Mailbox
maibox in garden
Using a Mailbox for Storing Garden Tools
🎄