Hunter Green

I want to redecorate my kitchen using paint. I have a hunter green counter. The cabinets are currently white with white/brass hardware. The floor is also hunter green vinyl tile. I want to replace the floor and paint the cabinets and walls. The counter must stay. The room borders the living dining area which is half charcoal floral wallpaper and painted jade/spruce green. I sent a photo of the ajoining wall colors. It came out a little darker than it actually is. All suggestions are welcome.

Sam from New York

Hi Sam, are you sure that you want to go through all the work of painting your cabinets? I recently painted all of my kitchen cabinets and it was a lot of work; not to mention the time that my kitchen was all torn apart! Maybe if you just paint the walls you might actually like your white cabinetry better; I like white cabinets because it makes a kitchen look so bright and clean.

You didn't really mention what colors you like, if you like a more neutral pallette or something more dramatic. I think that Taupe is a very nice color to go with the hunter green counter top; and it would look nice with white cabinetry too. Peach, or a light blush color, would look nice with the green counter. My living room colors are hunter, taupe, and burgundy; would you do something so daring as painting your walls burgundy?! It may look very nice, if you have a lot of light in your kitchen, and if you kept your white cabinets to lighten it up!

What kind of floor are you looking to replace the linoleum with? I had a laminate floor at my last house and did not like it at all! This house, I have carpet in the kitchen, and that is even worse! Are you thinking tile, or linoleum? There are so many choices out there, it will be a tough decision for you to make.

Good luck with your redecorating, and make sure to share pictures!

Hi! I would strip the white paint from the cabinets and go with a stain or a shade of brown paint. I would paint the walls a tan, taupe, apricot, pale yellow,, salmon, or a shade of gold--somewhere in that color range.