Kitchen Cabinet Paint Color Advice

You have decided not to replace the cabinets, but rather to paint them to coordinate with your kitchen remodel. Choosing the right color is your next decision. This is a guide about kitchen cabinet paint color advice.

Certain paint colors can be used to make a room look bigger. This is a guide about painting cabinets to make a kitchen look bigger.

A kitchen with attractive painted cabinets.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My cabinets are a light taupe, see door pic and the countertop is granite Hidden Treasure, see pic. I am trying to decide between 2 floors see 2 pics. One is more of a beige/grey/black and the other is more of a natural yellowy orange for warmth. What Benjamin Moore paint color for each floor and what floor do you suggest? I've been losing sleep over this!

I recently purchased a home and won't be starting a kitchen remodel for 18-24 months. My biggest issue is the ridiculously dark cabinets and countertop. For the time being, does anyone have suggestions for cabinet and wall paint colors to brighten/neutralize the avocado green countertops and backsplash? I am not opposed to anything retro and love color. I actually would like to do accent pieces in bright orange. White cabinets would be OK, but I really like a two tone kitchen (top and bottom cabinets different colors). However, I'm concerned about the limited color choice, due to the green counter. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Please excuse the mess, we're still in the process of unpacking and settling.

I am in the process of renovating my kitchen cabinets. I have a small kitchen which has red brick on one wall and as a backsplash. My counter top is a black faux marble laminate. I was considering putting pewter hardware on the cabinets. My appliances are white. My floor is a light grey. I have one other wall that is currently a peachy colour (this could be changed). What colour would be best for the cabinets and doors?

By Helen M

I have a few questions about my kitchen. We just bought this place and I have no idea what to start with for colors. I like the countertop and I think that will be my jumping off point. I am planning on painting the cupboards, walls, trashing the curtains, and possibly putting blinds instead? The decorative little shelf off to the side is also going, but I thought maybe adding a small ledge for a breakfast bar there and a couple of stools?

So what colors where? The floor is a neutral linoleum tile which is brand new so I plan on keeping it for a while. I am working on a bit of a budget here so it's mainly getting paint.

Suggestions would be great! Thanks.

By Wilmamacd from PEI

Answers

I think I'd paint the cabinets white, install some new cabinet hardware, and paint the walls a neutral beige (a color pulled from your flooring). Depending on which direction your window faces I might even skip window treatments. The idea for a breakfast bar is great. Good luck in your new home!

White cabinets, nickel colored cabinet pulls to match the sink, and the room appears a bit dark in the photo, so I would stay with a very light color for the walls. If you intend on lifting the flooring for another color in a few years, then I'd go with a color that compliments the countertop to keep from having to repaint anytime soon; otherwise, go with a color from the vinyl flooring as was already suggested.

I agree, white cabinets, light colored wall, like a pale beige and some nice cabinets pulls if you can afford it. Those things are so expensive. Depending on the pulls they may can be painted too. I'd get one of those blinds that look like wood. That's what I put in my kitchen and they look like real wood. There was previously an ugly blind there and changing made a world of difference. I think getting rid of the "thing" you talked about is a good idea and it will make the place look bigger and more updated.

That spindley thing has to go. That is dated. I agree with white cabinets. Good luck.

I like the idea of a breakfast bar and white cabinets also, but I would go for a zippier color than beige for the walls, and still keep them light. You might want to paint the ceiling a darker hue than the walls and install white crown moulding all around to tie in with the cabinets. That's what I did in my new bathroom, and I love it. The photo doesn't show it properly, but the walls are a light sage green with a darker hue of the wall color on the ceiling... I haven't finished decorating yet, but you get the idea.

Chocolate brown, gray, or white cabinets and lime green, orange, or yellow walls. Unless the window is right at ground level and people can see in it I wouldn't worry about a full curtain or a blind. Just a valance at the top. It may brighten it up enough that you won't use the light much.

I disagree with everyone that says paint the walls beige. Boring. Make it bright, fun, playful and cheery.

Okay, I have figured out pretty much what I am doing as a whole for the kitchen.......

The walls are going a soft but somewhat bright green, called soft pistachio. The cupboards are definitely going stark white (What kind of gloss? Semi or High?) The door pulls are going to be satin nickel. Hoping to get these ones: http://www.kent  mp;catalogId=876

The window will be getting nothing if I can help it, blinds if my husband can't handle nothing on the window.....lol.
And I have decided to switch out the countertop to a more neutral one, thay way I can add more color with paint in the future. Also hoping to convince hubby that a new faucet is needed there ;).

Thanks for the input everyone.very helpful! I promise to post a photo when I get it all done.

We are going to do a minor update on our terribly outdated kitchen. If it was up to me, I'd be tearing out the whole thing and starting over. It currently has very dark cabinets with reddish-orange terracotta tile countertops. Unfortunately, we are only going to be painting the cabinets instead of replacing the whole mess, so I need some ideas on colors for the cabinets. Any help would be welcome.

By Carol from Saratoga, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Have you considered painting just the cabinet doors? If the cabinet shows around the doors, this could look very new. You do need to stay in the same color family as the counter top and cabinets, but you can go much lighter or do a stripe or a sponge print. New hardward might be a way to update the look. If the cabinets are very dark, it may take several coats to cover the old color. A quick, cheap fix is wall paper or stenciled design. Pick out a light color from the tile and use that as a guide. If it is the same color, you can go with a tint (color plus white) of that color. Hope this helps.

I am moving next month and my kitchen is grey, but my furniture is red and gold. What color can I paint the walls to blend with both? Thanks.

I have dark brown kitchen walls, which I love. What color should I paint my cabinets besides white?

We're creating our kitchen. The floors are a very dark wood, African Mahogany. We've chosen a blue granite counter top, close to Blue Persia.

The question is what would be a good color for the cabinets. One thought is having new cabinets painted cream, or a natural wood color. If the wood is on a darkish side will that work with the Blue Persia granite and the dark floor?

Thanks for the help.

By Stephen from Pacifica, CA

Answers

White or a darkish color will go with your counter top, good luck.

I think a white, off-white or a white with a glaze that has a hint of gray in it. If I'm seeing this correctly, there is a little gray in the blue countertop. Might be nice to pull that out subtly.

Sounds very classy! If it were me, I would take a sample of the flooring in to the cabinet store, then either match the cupboards to that exact flooring color or go several shades lighter in the same hue.

You can go dark or light with that color of blue. Cream would also look nice... If your kitchen is large, go with darker cabinets, if it's fairly Small, go with the Cream color you mentioned or another light color to make it feel larger!

Also, a dark Blue cabinet would look nice, but wouldn't be great for re-sale. Stay with mainly neutral colors for good re-sale value!

Stay with the colors in the counter top; you've got several to choose from. Don't know what color your walls are, but if they are white, then paint the cabinets darker than the walls to bring it together; otherwise paint the cabinets the palest shade in the granite.

I lived in Africa once, and seeing that lovely blue with hints of green in it reminded me of the lovely days in the Highlands of Kenya. How about a soft green taken from the dark streaks in the granite; a pastel/light version.
It would be like the blue skies and green of Africa, with the dark woods you find in most houses there.

So I posted a while back asking about paint colors for the walls in our kitchen which opened the door for a whole new problem. Cabinet colors?
Here are pictures of our tiny spaced kitchen and we are bouncing between a few options:

• white cabinets with the white appliances, then white or another color paint on the walls
  • stain/darken the cabinets with white appliances, then white on the walls
  • leave them, they look good

Other ideas are more than welcome though! Side note- we do have under lighting under the cabinets. So when those are on it helps bring the shadow out.
We are young homeowners and welcome advice. Help us! Thanks.

My appliances are white, but my table is off white with a stainless steel top (so the legs of table and the chairs are off white). What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets? off white to match the table or white to match the appliances, or does it matter?

By Carla

My kitchen cabinets are cedar. The counter top is a bluish-green with specks of black (granite countertop). The floor is vinyl with bluish green and off white squares. Please help me. I am working on a limited budget. I don't know what to do about the ugly cedar cabinets. It's an eye sore. Help!

By Susan

Answers

How about a bluish gray? Not too dark and not too light.

Off-white would also work well if your kitchen is too dark.

I need to paint my kitchen cabinets and I don't know what color to paint them. My kitchen is pretty small, and we don't have a lot of light. I love Italian, so I painted the walls a golden yellow color with faux brown on top of the gold.

The kitchen cabinets are totally flat and are a cheap laminate with no design whatsoever. The counters are a dark speckled brown laminate. Help me please. When you give me some colors to pick from, I also need to know what color hardware (hinges and knobs) would look good. I'm going to replace all the hardware. The cabinets are over 25 years old.

By Susan

Answers

I think these two links will provide you with enough research information on Tuscany color schemes for you to work with your kitchen cabinets and hardware. Good luck and mostly, enjoy your work!

http://www.tusc  chen_design.html

http://www.drea  scan-colors.html

The first thing that came to my mind was to paint the cabinets the same golden yellow as the walls, but without the faux finish.
If you think that might be too bright, use one of the lighter colors on the same color strip.
You can find really pretty knobs and handles in a bronze finish at Wal Mart. They are rich looking and very reasonably priced.

I don't have any advice about paint color, but I do have advice about painting over laminate. First, you have to sand every inch of your cabinets with 220 grit sandpaper (I would remove the doors, and all hardware, and lay them on a flat surface). Then clean them with a tack cloth to remove anything left from the sanding process. Next you need to use a primer designed to be used with laminate, such as Zinsser Bulls Eye 123. Follow the directions on the primer and allow for the correct drying time. Then you can paint with a gloss or semi-gloss paint designed to hold up under lots of use.

I'm getting ready to paint my old, laminate kitchen cabinets also. I was terrified they would look, "painted." I found kits at Lowes from Rustoleum to refinish your cabinets with a color and pattern. Go to their website to see the options at: http://rustoleu  sformations.com/

Also, Lowes has the very best options for cabinet knobs. Look at the options here: http://www.lowe  153__s?Ntt=knobs

All the best to you! I'm excited to get that fresh, new look! 8^)

Cindy

I have dark cabinets with coppery brown appliances. What colors would you suggest I paint the cabinets? My flooring is gray/brown/beige tiles.

I want red dishes and decor for my kitchen, but I'm unsure of what color to paint the cabinets and walls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

By Miracle from Delphi, IN

Answers

Red is a very bold color, me, I'd just go with a very bright white and maybe a little red trim.

Why not use an olive green? I like the italian kitchen feel of green and red, you can add some black or gold in the scheme also. Good luck.

Base of cabinets a grey mist from Loews as well as the walls. red (close to the Rustoleum red) cabinet doors with a top border of red on ceiling & walls and also in the middle of wall as a painted chair rail. If you have a ceiling fan you could also paint blades red and grey I have not done my fan blades yet but have the colors in my kitchen. I use paint cards & taped them to doors, cabinets & walls Good Luck. ezmeralda

Our kitchen has good cabinets, but they are pickled oak with really pink counter tops. We painted the walls tan or coconut milk whichever and the floors are light tan tile. I am thinking about painting the cabinets white and changing the hardware to silver and changing counter tops to a tan or brownish laminate. What do you think?

I would like to update our rental to sell. The kitchen is awful, with handmade cupboard doors, uneven, rough edges. I have acquired some cabinet doors that are in good shape, but will need to be painted. The tile is an ugly beige/yellow that will be staying, unfortunately. Also, I have white appliances. What colour could I paint the cupboard doors? White? I feel like this will add even more contrast to the flooring.

By Nancy M

I have light yellow walls, black appliances, blue and gray marbled counter tops, and Brazilian cherry hardwood floors. What color should I paint my cabinets?

By Ginny from Fairfax, VT

Not sure what color I need to paint my laminate cabinets, but my appliances are stainless steel and my counter is black and tan specs. Please help me!

By Lisa J.

What is a good color to paint my walnut colored kitchen cabinets, when I have antique white walls and a white counter top?

By MaryAnn from Port Richey, FL

Answers

Charcoal comes to mind. It will sure pop with the white walls and countertops.

Go online at HGTV there are some great ideas on colors. Also just check colors for painting kitchen cabinets on google. I did this for two months before I made a choice. It helpped me. Happy painting!

I have light green tiles over my kitchen sink and behind my stove. What would be the best colors for my kitchen cabinets?

By Margaret from Auburn, AL

Answers

Bring the sunshine in! May be just me, but I would finish bringing in "spring colors", if that is what your green is. Sky blue cabinet bases with banana cream pie yellow doors would be really pretty. And, any seasonal accents (in colors either bold or pastel) would change things up as you want!

You also have to look at the countertop and floor so that it all coordinates. You could do black, brown or a cherry look if you want a darker cabinet. Or,go with a cream or off white, whichever fits with the green tiles. White will be harder to keep clean. Here's a good link on painting cabinets:

http://www.oldh  n-cabinets.shtml

I want to redecorate my kitchen using paint. I have a hunter green counter. The cabinets are currently white with white/brass hardware. The floor is also hunter green vinyl tile. I want to replace the floor and paint the cabinets and walls. The counter must stay. The room borders the living dining area which is half charcoal floral wallpaper and painted jade/spruce green. I sent a photo of the ajoining wall colors. It came out a little darker than it actually is. All suggestions are welcome.

Sam from New York

Answers

Hi Sam, are you sure that you want to go through all the work of painting your cabinets? I recently painted all of my kitchen cabinets and it was a lot of work; not to mention the time that my kitchen was all torn apart! Maybe if you just paint the walls you might actually like your white cabinetry better; I like white cabinets because it makes a kitchen look so bright and clean.

You didn't really mention what colors you like, if you like a more neutral pallette or something more dramatic. I think that Taupe is a very nice color to go with the hunter green counter top; and it would look nice with white cabinetry too. Peach, or a light blush color, would look nice with the green counter. My living room colors are hunter, taupe, and burgundy; would you do something so daring as painting your walls burgundy?! It may look very nice, if you have a lot of light in your kitchen, and if you kept your white cabinets to lighten it up!

What kind of floor are you looking to replace the linoleum with? I had a laminate floor at my last house and did not like it at all! This house, I have carpet in the kitchen, and that is even worse! Are you thinking tile, or linoleum? There are so many choices out there, it will be a tough decision for you to make.

Good luck with your redecorating, and make sure to share pictures!

Hi! I would strip the white paint from the cabinets and go with a stain or a shade of brown paint. I would paint the walls a tan, taupe, apricot, pale yellow,, salmon, or a shade of gold--somewhere in that color range.

I have white gloss units and medium wood flooring. The main wall is papered and I don't know what color paint to use on the other wall and what color rug.

I now have beige cupboards with a cream color for the counter top and the walls are a dark to light brown background. I want to go to a tortoise or a blue for the cupboards. Will this work?

By Betty P

I have a dining room with pale blue walls and white wainscoting. The room opens to the eat in kitchen, foyer, and family room. The kitchen has oak cabinets, beige Corian counters, and steely blue floor tiles. What wall color would blend with the blue for the adjoining rooms?

By Jjp from CT

I am trying to change the color of my cabinets and my walls are a powdery blue color. What color should my cabinets be?

By Matt D

I have galley kitchen 14 feet x 5 feet with black granite counter and stainless steel appliances. The kitchen is open to the family room with beige wall paint and a red accent wall. Medium brown laminate flooring flows thru both rooms. The kitchen only has a large window over the sink area between upper cabinets. Cabinets have been stripped and now need to be painted. What color would you suggest?

By Ann

I just installed new black appliances in my kitchen. My cupboards are beige and I was wondering what color grey would go good or maybe a yellow?

By Brad

My walls are pale yellow and my kitchen cabinets are white with red countertops. What color would look good for the cabinets?

By Patricia

I have a 10 foot red countertop in my kitchen dating from the 40s with off white cabinets. I would like to update, what color should I paint the cabinets?

By c

Answers

The "new" neutral colours work well with reds, the new neutrals are greys, a nice shade of grey would go very well with red. Try to get a really good picture of the colour with a digital camera and take it to the paint store with you to find a shade that compliments the red. My living room is a burgundy red and a soft grey. Looks great and if you don't like greys try a cream not a pinkish cream, but a brownish cream, really light, but some look pink and some look brown, ask if your paint store gives out sample pots of paint. Ours does, costs $3.50 for a pot worth it to get the right colour and not end up with a room you don't like!

What color should my kitchen cabinets be, if my hardwood floor is butterscotch oak?

By Ken from Crownsville, MD

Answers

You could really go with any color. I would look at the countertop and any tile too and coordinate it all. Try a warm light brown or add some contrast with a subtle burgungy.

I have a dated kitchen and I want to paint the cupboards. My counters are cream and the backsplash is light green tile. I want to put in a new laminate floor that looks like a medium wood color. I am not sure what color to paint cupboards and what type of paint to use.

I am desperate to update on a tight budget. I have med oak cabinets and trim, golden oak floors, white and black backsplash, and yellow walls. I thought to have the cabinets spraypainted and also the backsplash a light colour. I will paint the windows and trim. Would creamy cabinets and white backsplash and trim work best? I don't really want a stark look. I can't afford new appliances

By Karen S

What color should I paint my kitchen cabinets? I have tan tile floors and dark tan granite counters. We also have stainless steel appliances and bright white wood baseboards and crown moulding. Our kitchen walls are also tan. I need some color! I was thinking about very pale, dusty robin egg blue, but don't know if it will work.

By Josie F. from Pittsburgh, PA

I currently have maple colored cabinets and I want to paint them. My counters are cranberry and the kitchen opens to the living room which is a mix of browns, cranberry, green blue, and gray. My appliances in my kitchen and my kitchen walls are white so I am not sure that I should paint them white. However, I do want something light that will open up our kitchen space. Please help!

By Jenney

Should I paint the wooden cabinets in my kitchen to match my walls or a little darker than my walls? I am using Benjamin Moore, Elmira white, it looks like a light gray.

By Susan P.

Load More