Vodka For Pet Odors

When my three grandchildren came to live with me, they each had a kitten. The kittens grew up and started reproducing, all about the same time. Needless to say, one litter box per cat was not enough and there were numerous spots that the cats/kittens chose to potty. The smells were very strong and I tried numerous products to eliminate them and nothing seemed to work until, my son accidentally spilled a bottle of vodka on one of the 'potty" spots. The odor was gone.

I purchased a large bottle of vodka and put it in a spray bottle. When I came upon a potty spot, I immediately cleaned it with a mild detergent, rinsed, and then sprayed it with the vodka and the odor was gone. The vodka kills the bacteria that causes the odor. I don't know the difference between vodka and straight alcohol, but straight alcohol does not work. All the cats/kittens are gone now, but I still keep the spray bottle handy for other hard to remove odors.

By Patti from Clever, MO

Now, that's what I call using a bad thing for a good use! I may have to try that myself as I have 2 dogs and a cat, assuming that Vodka isn't too expensive.

Patty,

You sure live in the right town!

Was it named after you?

I was advised by a Vet to use a laundry powder we have here in Australia, called Bio-Zet. It removes cat urine smells from clothing & bedding, and is also good for carpets & vinyls etc. It is an excellent deodoriser for all laundry, especially smelly socks. It is not the cheapest detergent, but I find it the best, so I stick with it.

did you know that each cat is supposed to have his own litter box on each level of the house. ie 3 cats 3 boxes down stairs and 3 upstairs. fyi

Now there's a good excuse for buying vodka! I've used Scope mouthwash and it works, too--but it might stain some surfaces, so try a hidden spot first.

Thanks for your tip--hic!

Pet Ferret
Household Products for Removing Pet Odors
Pets Pet OdorsApril 4, 2007
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Vodka Bottle
Household Uses for Vodka
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Vodka Cream Pasta Recipes
Vodka Cream Pasta Recipes
🎉
🎄