White Vinegar For Carpet Cleaning

I have a Bissell Shampoo machine, bought especially because I had 2 older dogs, that once in a while peed on my carpet. To make a long story short, I tried everything everyone suggested and happened upon a good one. Someone here on Thrifty Fun suggested white vinegar and I tried it.

Remember you have to get through the pad or it won't do any good, so do small areas. Keep going over it until the liquid is all picked up. I put about l/4 cup of white vinegar to the gallon water container in shampooer, and put the regular shampoo in the dispenser on the shampooer. I let dry for at least 2 days then put dry baking soda on the spot, and left it there until the next time I vacuum.

This took the odor out and cleaned carpet, too. Hope it does as well for whoever tries it. Remember sometimes it takes 2 times to get to the floor below the carpet and the carpet pad. If you leave it too wet, it will sour, and you have another odor to contend with.

Sometimes now when one pees, I pour the vinegar water immediately on a spot. Then I just suck up all the liquid, and let dry. It is less work, and takes care of the problem.

Source: Thrifty Fun Hints

By gbk from south GA

Anonymous

Most of the smell in urine is due to ammonia, a highly alkaline substance. Vinegar is acidic and helps to neutralize this scent. Vinegar is less effective at eliminating bad smells from feces and vomit, but can supplement other odor removers. Vinegar and urine do not smell the same to a dog.

Can u use this with out carpet cleaner just using a sponge to apply then rub with towel to absorb the water