Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Silverware

Please, is there an easy way to clean silverware without using Silvo? Thank you.

By Carolyn from Australia

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Caressa08/16/2010

Here are some home made remedies to clean silverware.

Baking Soda

Use baking soda to do a quick, easy polish on silverware. Make a paste of baking soda and water, and use it to polish away tarnish. Rinse the silverware and dry with a clean cloth. Add a bit of salt or lemon juice to the paste to increase the cleaning power and make the piece smell nice.

Toothpaste

Use a paste (not gel) toothpaste and a soft toothbrush or cloth to restore shine to silver. Rinse thoroughly, especially in crevices or etched decorations

I found this site to be very helpful.

Read more: Home Remedies for Cleaning Silverware | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6495854_ho ... eaning-silverware.html#ixzz0woAegt5x

I hope these ideas help you! : )

Here are questions related to Cleaning Silverware.

Question: Cleaning Silverware

My good silverware that we use daily looks dingy and tarnished. What is the best way to clean silverware?

By Betty

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Silverware

The best way to clean silver is to line a sauce pan with aluminum foil and fill it with water. Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda for each 2 cups of water in the pan. Heat the water until boiling and remove from heat. Then lay the silver items in the pan so that they are touching the aluminum foil. Remove the items from the pan, rinse, and polish them lightly. The foil attracts the tarnish so make sure that the tarnished parts of the silver make contact with the foil.

RE: Cleaning Silverware

With this method you are playing with fire. If you leave the silver in the solution too long, it will pit the silver thereby ruining it. And, remember just how wonderful it is just making your silver look nice by polishing it piece by piece. Do a little at a time then it is not a chore. Do NOT use this method on silver plate as it will take the silver off leaving either copper behind or some androgenous other material. (09/10/2005)

By Lucy330.

Archive: Cleaning Silverware

How do I clean my old silverware? It was not taken care of and was stored in the garage and basement until I received it. I don't know how old it is, but it has been passed down on my husband's side.

Zena from Mandan, ND

RE: Cleaning Silverware

Store the silver (when cleaned) in Atlantic Cloth, which has a tarnish attracting chemical (if I am not mistaken, it absorbs the sulfur in the air).

Fabric stores sell it by the yard and customized zippered pieces are sold at The Container Store. (12/18/2006)

By cookwie

RE: Cleaning Silverware

Buy TarnX at the local hardware store or grocery or drugstore. (12/19/2006)

By brenda thompson

RE: Cleaning Silverware

Do not use the aluminum and sodium bicarbonate method to clean silver. It will remove the silver plate right off your items. If you are cleaning sterling, eventually it can remove the ornate decorations. My restaurant has used Silvermate silver cleaner for years. It is a safe, ecofriendly liquid that cleans and polishes in just a few seconds without polishing your knuckles blue. It's mild enough to use without gloves. (04/27/2009)

By Chef Marcus

Archive: Cleaning Silverware

I had a mouse in my silverware drawer. The mouse is gone, but not the droppings. I need a way to clean my silverware without bleach, but I want to disinfect everything. Would vinegar and baking soda tarnish my silverware? Thank you for your help.

By Irene from Boston, MA

RE: Cleaning Silverware

I use glass stove top cleaner. Wash afterwards and then dry well before storing. (02/16/2010)

By Lorelei

RE: Cleaning Silverware

Whatever you do, do NOT use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect your silver. It will turn it black and you won't be able to get it off! (You won't have any mouse poop germs though :^) (02/19/2010)

By Polly G

RE: Cleaning Silverware

Just wash the silverware in hot soapy water, either in the dishwasher or by hand. Wash out the drawer with hot soapy water as well. There is no need to do anything else. Soap and hot water are better disinfectants than vinegar and/or baking soda, and certainly better than the combination of them, as when you mix them, all you get is salt water. (02/21/2010)

By louel53