Uses for Grass Clippings

I have over an acre of lawn that I mow and sweep. My question is what can I do with the grass clippings that I sweep up? I have already given mulch a thought, but don't know were it would be useful for me.

By Michael from Guntersville, AL

I have about the same area and leave the clippings on the grass. It acts as a fertilizer. If you have too much clippings you may want to attach an mulcher to the mower. That will cut up the clipings to very small pieces.

When the clippings turn brown, does it show on the lawn, or does it go under the grass pretty fast?

Use some of them in your compost bin (if you have one) Layer then with your uncooked kitchen waste.

Do you like animals? You could get a goose, which lays beautiful, edible eggs and she would be happy to eat the grass. Or some chickens, dry grass used for hay. Or you could give it to a local farm to dry for hay and maybe they would give you something in barter, (eggs, vegetables, etc). Goose egg and chicken eggs in photo.

We don't use a bag with the mower every time we mow and that grass is left on the lawn as nutrition.

As suggested, make your own compost pile. Our small town has a recycling compost pile for leaves and grasses to be hauled to which then is mixed with the composting factors at the recycle center in making new dirt, that is free for people to come and pick up. The dirt is sterilized by the process used in composting big time.

My husband tried the 'put it in my garden' one time, cause he thought it was supposed to cut back weeds. Haha. He proceeded to start the weeds. Unless you have the perfect lawn and nothing icky growing in it, don't do that. I work hard in the gardens to be weed and grass free. Seeds of dandelion and other weeds can lay dormant in the soil for years then POP up.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceAugust 1, 2010
A lawn mower mowing the grass.
Uses for Grass Clippings
Grass Clippings On Sidewalk
Using Grass Clippings That Have Weed Killer On Them
Stack of Newspaper on White Background
Storing Newspaper Clippings
Little girl on the beach wearing a grass skirt.
Making Grass Skirts