Dog Shaking Head

My do has been shaking his head as though he has an ear ache although he has no infection and no ingrown hairs. Any ideas on how to help him?

By Marylee

Your dog probably has ear mites. They are very hard to get rid of. You will have to get some meds from your vet. You can also clean the inside of the ears with alcohol and q-tips. But be sure not to go too far, as you can damage the ears. But you should see black build up, just wipe that out, and get your dog to the vet.

My furry child did same thing and I also couldn't see any type of problem. I let go as I figured might have gotten something in ear that would shake loose where either I could get it or it would come out. Big mistake. It was ear mites and one day unexpectedly, a large blood blister was on inside (visible) portion of ear. Rushed to vet and he lanced and the ear is permanently now in a "cauliflower" ear. Cute but could have been avoided. Get your child some medicine for mites at the vets.

Could be foxtail. Do not home treat. Foxtails can work their way clear into your dog's brain. Vet needed.

Hello,

As you know nobody on this site can tell you what to do except your Veterinarian. Please take your fur baby to the doctor for expert advice. Good luck

The best way you can help him is to take him to the vet who will be able to properly diagnose and treat whatever may be causing the problem.

I am the original writer of this note. I shold have wrote that he has been to the vet has had antibiotics and ear drops. after several treatmens the problem recurs. this is a chronic problem. I was looking for something that might be a type of homeopathihic treatment between to so he doesn't need to have so much medicine in his system. Thanks all.

Our dog, Obie had this. We used olive oil and put in ear with q-tip and then wiped off excess with cotton balls. Also we tried 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water also wiping excess off with cotton balls for three days. Both of these treatments helped Obie overcome the ear mites successfully.

I too say it is ear mites. I order from www.HappyJack.com for our "5 furry babies". It costs around $15 a bottle BUT that will treat the area that is making him shake his head or itch at their ears constantly; they will not like you when you put the drops in their ears and then have to rub the liquid into their ears...so make sure you have someone to help you do this, as we have learned it is a two man duty to be done AND You will see results within 24 hours. You will be happy and so will they I promise.

Good Luck and keep us informed on what you do, do.

I suggest you contact your veterinarian before the poor animal shakes it's head resulting in Hematoma.

Dog Shaking Head
Dog Keeps Shaking Head
Pets Dogs HealthNovember 6, 2009
Mother Nits out of Her Daughters Hair
Preventing Head Lice
A girl with a sweaty head.
Head Sweats a Lot
removing a nail
Removing a Nail That Has Lost Its Head
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
🎉
🎄