Ideas for School Children to Recycle their Paper

I am looking for ideas to recycle to paper produced by my children's school. They produce a lot of paper, but our recycling depot is overfull and doesn't want any more paper. We need to come up with an environmentally friendly way of recycling large quantities of paper that don't use up a lot of the student's time. The paper can be shredded or in sheets. All ideas will be most welcome.

Niko O. from Tasmania, Australia

If you have so much paper, why don't you ask the local churches if they could use it. I know our church uses alot of paper for Sunday School, Children's church, and VBS.

If only one side of the paper has been used, the kids (and staff) can use the back for scratch paper. It could also be used for paper mache' projects, or can be re-made into new paper (kids love that project, and the paper can be packaged and sold for a fundraiser).

Also, your local animal shelter may be able to use the paper for bedding.

Good luck!

Lori in Florida

If you have pets you can use it for potty paper or shred it for hamster cages. I think paper can be used in compost if it is shredded. Roll up paper into little log sized rolls and tie with jute for fire starters.

Along the same lines as Lori in Florida, I use the unused back of paper by cutting a bunch of paper and stapling it together to make a small notepad. Sometimes it is a half sheet or 1/4 sheet size.

You can also shred or wad it and use as packing material. Maybe whoever gets it will be able to recycle it in their city...

Check some of the retailers around who sell shredders and see if they will donate them to the schools. Check with the environmental agencies around and also see if donations are possible. Start a contest within the scho0l to see what class can raise the most to get shredders for the classroom. Winners get a "free play day" or a free day off.

Hi Niko,

I am the MD for Logmaker which creates 'Logs' out of any burnable waste see , I like to support schools Eco projects and if you get in touch we can see what we can do as we are establishing an Australian agent. Some UK schools create Logs and sell them at the school fairs.

Better Living Green Living Recycling PaperFebruary 15, 2008
A child eating a brown bag lunch.
Quick and Easy School Lunchbox Ideas
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School
A girl leaning on her school books.
End of School Year Gift Ideas