Whitening a Discolored Tooth

I had foot surgery many years ago. I bit down on the tube and the nerve in my tooth was damaged. Now my tooth is yellowish-brown. Not very attractive at all. Any ideas on how to make it whiter without going to the dentist. They told me a porcelain overlay would be $1000 because they would have to blend in my other teeth. I hate it and do not like to smile much. Help.

By Wacky Camper

Brush with baking soda,good luck.

Sounds like the nerve is dead. If it is the only way is a crown to my knowledge. Yes they are expensive but how much do you want a pretty smile?

Dental work is the only way, sorry. I too have a front tooth that was injured during a car accident. I can't afford the overlays. I asked my dentist about bleaching, but he says the overlays are the only way to go, so I grin and bear it - ha!

The discoloration is from the inside, not the outside, so I don't think that bleach or baking soda or anything else will work.

There is a bleaching procedure to be done by the dentist, only on a root-canal treated tooth. It is painless and it really remedies the dark stain without invading the whole rest of the tooth for veneers or crowns. The dentist puts a strong oxidizing material inside the tooth and then seals it up with filling, you walk around a week or two and it gradually lightens, repeat two or three times until it's a bit too light, then the oxidizer is removed and the permanent filling is done. The color rebounds just a bit until it's about right. I've seen people really pleased with these. Not good for a very dark one, but yours doesn't sound like it's almost black. God bless you and I hope your dentist can help make it possible for you to stretch out payments on it. Capital One has a dental credit plan that is a good deal, unlike their credit cards, your dentist probably knows about it.

I had a tooth that turned almost black. I ignored it for a while but since it showed when I smiled I couldn't ignore it anymore. It was a bad nerve and I needed some root canal work. Later my Dentist did some bonding to it or something to make it white and it looks a lot better. We have excellent dental insurance through my husband's work, thank goodness!

Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceApril 27, 2009
Man with a sore mouth.
Caring for Your Gums After a Tooth Extraction
Girl Whitening Her Teeth
Whitening Your Teeth
Girl Holding her Lost Tooth
Tooth Fairy Ideas
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Discolored Linoleum
🎄
🍂