Shirts With A Worn Collar

My husband has a tendency to wear out the collar on his dress shirts. Does anyone have a tip for repair or use for the shirt (other than quilt material)?

Dawn

Before the collars are completely worn, carefully take them off and turn them around with the worn side down.(

Funny, I was just talking to someone about this very thing the other night! This person could sew and what she did was take the collar off and reverse it. Sounds like a plan!

When my children were little; I`d put the collarless shirts on them, buttoning down the back. Then I`d roll up the sleeves to a comfortable length for the children and button up the sleeves. Sometimes they were used for art work (or other messy kid-type activities. I`ve worn one myself when cleaning around a wood burning fireplace. Hope this helps(easier than sewing collars back on)

Carefully pick out the collar from neckband, using a thread pick. Turn it over and reinsert it in the neckband, keeping everything even. Carefully resew it. I've done this a few times and it is not difficult.

You could also take the collar off and sew the neck back together for a mandarin collar. (This is good after you have used both sides of the collar.) He won't be able to wear it with ties anymore, but he can still wear it to go out, if he likes that sort of collar.

For shirts that have worn collars take them off and sew the rounded edge back up. You may have to replace that part with a new piece of material. A friend does this all the time with her husbands' shirts only she does it with the new ones. He likes the look of a western style shirt, but the costs are too high. so maybe this could be an option for those who still like the look of the shirt they have.

By RoseMary

Try a service at collarreplacement.com

Don't waste your time go to the pro at:

http://www.collarreplacement.com

Get A neckband shirt with detachable collars. You can get them at amazondrygoodscollarsandcuffs.com

IM NO GOOD AT SEWING, SO I'D JUST BUY A NEW SHIRT !!

I DO HAVE A QUESTION THOUGH, WHAT CAUSES THE TIPS ON MY HUSBANDS SHIRTS TO GO WHITE AND FRAY, IS IT WEAR AND TEAR OR AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG ?

I just do a zig-zag with my sewing machine over the worn part of the collar. Quick, easy and I have saved many, many of my family members' shirts this way.

Reading all these wonderful posts reminded me of how my mother would carefully remove the collar from my father's favorite shirt and repair it and then reverse it.Some of his shirts were his favorite and they were done this way until they could no longer be repaired......Cindy D........

I had the same problem. Why do it your self when you can have the pros do it for twenty dollars at

www.collarreplacement.com

Can someone explain to me why the tips of my collars turn white? The store where I bought them says it's moths. Something about moths liking the stiff part of the shirt. Under a magnifying glass, it appears that the outer dyed material has been removed revealing the white material underneath. I've also seen similar wear on the edge of the back of collars and cuffs. These are not old shirts either.