Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Exterminating Bugs From A Microwave

Have you ever gotten a roach or any other type of bug inside the workings of your microwave and didn't know what to do? Well I found out an easy way to kill anything crawling around in there.

I had one get inside mine. I know this sounds awful, and I'm not a dirty person, but in some areas you just can't get away from them, you just have to do what you can to keep them under control. Anyway, I knew he was in there because I could see him crawling around the LED light where the clock is. I refused to use it and was going to toss the whole machine even though we had only had it a week or so.

But instead I came up with something to try. First I unplugged mine and removed everything removable (those I ran through the dishwasher), and then I took a bug bomb and set it inside. Before I turned it on tho, I took a good sturdy trash bag (the big black kind) and put the microwave inside it and got it ready to be tied closed. Then I put all that inside another big black bag just to be sure it was enclosed good. Then I reached in and quickly turned the bug bomb on and closed the microwave door, then quickly tied each bag up good. I let this sit for 24 hours before opening the bag.

Once I opened it and took the microwave out and tossed the bags and the can in the trash outside, I left the microwave sitting with the door open for 12 hours. Then I took hot hot soapy water and washed it down good inside and out. I let it completely dry for 4 hours before plugging it in again. Then I took a large plastic bowl and filled it with water and put it in the microwave and cooked it to a boil. I brought that out, put fresh water in the bowl and did it again. I did this 5 times each time using fresh water.

I did this 2 years ago and have been using the microwave ever since and never had another problem.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Frances Adams [11]07/03/2009

I agree with you. Sometimes as clean as we are, we can't prevent infestations! I live in the country, and bugs of all kinds are present, inside and out. I am glad to know of a way to treat appliances if needed!

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.