Growing Crocus

Category Bulbs
Growing Crocus
A sure sign that spring is on its way is the appearance of these beautiful little flowers. This is a guide about growing crocus.

Botanical Name:

Crocus

Life Cycle:

Perennial bulb

Planting Time:

Spring or fall, for blooms in 4-6 months.

Height:

3 to 6 inches

Exposure:

Full sun

Soil:

Poor to average, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

Zones 3 to 9

Bloom Time:

Early spring or early fall

Flower:

Yellow, purple, lavender and white blooms

Foliage:

Green

Propagation:

Corms

Suggested Use:

Beds, borders and containers

Growing Hints:

Buy spring flowering crocus corms to plant in the fall (or vice versa). Plant in groups of a dozen or more for the best show. Plant them at a depth of 3 to 4 inches spaced about 3 inches apart.

Interesting Facts:

The small red parts in the center of each crocus sativa bloom are the source of saffron; the spice used to add delicate flavor to dishes or used to color food yellow. To save your own saffron: after your crocus blooms, remove and dry the red stigma from the flower and store in an airtight container.

Note: There are many varieties of crocus. Make sure you have the correct variety, Crocus Sativa, before you try using the stigmas for cooking. Some varieties of crocus are poisonous.

Q: I just received a gift of potted Crocus. Of course, I hope to be able to plant these outside, and I am curious as to the best way to do this. The ground is frozen right now obviously. Do I plant them in spring right from the pot or is there some special care I should take?

Thanks for all help. :)
Leslie from Barrie, Ontario

A: Leslie,

You can plant your crocus bulbs in the spring or wait until fall and plant them as though they were new bulbs. The longer you keep the plants green this spring, the stronger the bulbs will be going into next year.

After they bloom, cut the flower stems back. When the leaves turn yellow and start to die back, reduce watering. Once the leaves die back altogether, discontinue watering and let the soil dry out. Remove the bulbs from the pot and trim off the dead foliage.

Store the bulbs in a cool, dry place until fall. Mesh or paper bags work best to prevent bulbs from getting moldy. In the fall, plant the bulbs 3-4 inches deep in full sun. They may be a bit undersized or flower poorly the first year, but they should come back fine the second year.

Years ago on a radio plant show, I heard the advice that if it blooms in the spring, plant it in the fall. If it blooms in the fall, plant it in the spring. Either way, your crocus will bloom. The first year in the ground might just be greens but next year the blooms will come. I'm also a zone 5 person and have luck with crocus, except when the squirrels get at the bulbs.

Leslie, I didn't answer all questions you asked. Yes, you can take them out of the pot and plant them right in the ground. No special needs. Even if you plant the bulbs upside down, they'll still grow towards the top. If I couldn't tell which way was the top, I planted them sideways. They still grew!

I always plant my forced spring bulbs or East flowers in the spring rather than waiting until fall. It doesnt seem to hurt them... and I dont risk forgetting about them or having to store them.. It just seems easier for me...

My crocus bulbs are only shooting up leaves. Does this mean the bulb is old and needs to be replanted with new bulbs?

Patti from Ontario Canada

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I mentioned earlier I had gotten several bags of crocus corms for about a fourth the original price. Not a bad deal, especially considering each bulb is already making three or four more clones of itself.

They're blooming a lot later than I thought they should. I figured I'd see them blooming in February snow.

As it appears, I know little about crocus. There's one thing I know for sure about them. That's how to appreciate their beauty.

Comment Like this photo? 3

The first crocus are blooming! I'm so excited to see these delicate beauties popping up in the yard. My husband picked one, and I got to use my little window vase.

By Maile

Crocus in hanging bottle.

Comment Like this photo? 7

This is my Valentine collection of red tulips and white crocus. We just had a rain and then the sun came out. I love taking pictures with raindrops on the plants! They actually have bloomed for Valentine's Day once, now are a bit later. They are unique in that the bud starts way down in the heart of the leaves and works it's way up as it opens fuller.

By Betty from Cowichan Bay, BC

Valentine Collection of Tulips and Crocus

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Spring Has Sprung!

By Laura from Parsippany, NJ

Gardening: Spring Crocus Blooms

Comment Like this photo? Yes

No matter what type of winter we have, I always feel hopeful that spring is near when I see the beautiful crocus burst forth into bloom.

By VeronicaHB

Crocus (North Carolina)

Comment Like this photo? 1

I drove by this house in my neighborhood this week and I just had to stop and take a picture. It looked like a sea of purple crocus. I guess Spring is finally here!

Jess in Oregon

Sea of Crocus

Comment Like this photo? Yes

I love seeing the early Spring flowers pop up as winter fades away. Here are some crocus and hyacinth photos I took recently that I thought you might like. Enjoy!

Hyacinth in Spring

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Light purple crocus bloom.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes