Growing Colchicum (Meadow Saffron)

0
Share
Pin
Save
Follow
Print

Photo Description
I mentioned in another post how fall tends to play havoc with my mood. Here is another flower that helps lift my low spirits caused by the onset of autumn.

The flower is Colchicum. It has several common names, the most popular being autumn crocus. I think that name is appropriate. It does resemble a crocus very much.

I didn't plant these flowers. They were here when I moved in. I was quite astonished to step outside one day only to see a carpet of these little beauties in full bloom on a side lawn.

For a short period during spring, there arises a fine grasslike foliage. It's hardly noticeable as it blends in with the grass. It dies down in two or three weeks.

Then, in mid October, there arises a single bloom stalk, topped with a beautiful little flower. Sadly, the blooms don't last very long, either. In a couple of weeks they'll be gone.

Their brief display is a small price to pay. They catch me by surprise every year, and a pleasant surprise it is. And so carefree. I've never done anything to support them, and they always return.

There are many varieties of this plant, each prettier than the last. It does have one drawback. Most parts of the plant are poisonous. I grow it without worry, but I would not permit small children to play where it is growing while in foliage or in bloom.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

Home and Garden Gardening BulbsOctober 24, 2016
👔
🎆
🐛
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Colchicum-Meadow-Saffron.html