Emergency Pie Pan

I think I've gone over the top for myself on this tip, but I'm sharing anyway. I forgot to buy a pie pan when I was at the market, but promised my hubby that I would make him a sweet potato pie today. What to do?

Well I made my own pie pan by shaping several pieces of aluminum foil over a small stoneware bowl until it was firm enough to hold the pie. I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but it worked great for me. I may have a hard time making myself buy that Pyrex pie pan now (ha ha). If anyone tries this please post how it has worked for you.

Emergency Pie Pan

Gee, what a devoted wife! Wives are the most inventive people on earth.

You should probably buy that pyrex pie plate as the aluminum foil will surpass the cost at some point. But that is a great idea in a pinch and the pie looks very good!

I wish I had thought about doing this last Thursday. My granddaughter wanted to make a couple of blueberry pieas and we only had one pie pan.

Don't you just love it when you come up with something that actually works. Great Idea.

Would you share your recipe for sweet potato pie? It sounds yummy, and I loved your idea for the pan. Great thinking idea...out of necessity comes an invention. deb

Good idea! I do think getting the pie pan will be cheaper in the long run, epecially if you can pick one up second hand.

A photo of a baked fruit pie.
Making Pie Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJuly 11, 2008
Emergency Reflector
Make Your Own Emergency Reflectors
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
🎄
🍂