Making Pie Tips and Tricks

Category Baking
A photo of a baked fruit pie.
Making the perfect pie is almost an art form. This is a guide about making pie tips and tricks.

Emergency Pie Pan

Emergency Pie Pan

I think I've gone over the top for myself on this tip, but I'm sharing anyway. I forgot to buy a pie pan when I was at the market, but promised my hubby that I would make him a sweet potato pie today. What to do?

Well I made my own pie pan by shaping several pieces of aluminum foil over a small stoneware bowl until it was firm enough to hold the pie. I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but it worked great for me. I may have a hard time making myself buy that Pyrex pie pan now (ha ha). If anyone tries this please post how it has worked for you.

Instead of merely cut a venting hole or two in the top crust of your pie, try cookie cutters. For example, I have a cat cookie cutter. I used it on the top crust and placed the cats all around the edge of the pie and then filled in to the top. It looked unique and was quite the conversation piece when put on the table. You could also do ruffled edge squares to make a snowflake design. Anything really.

By sooz from Bradford, ON

For a nice flavored pie crust, simply add dry pudding mix to your flour mixture. Make the pie crust as usual. Make sure to use the type of pudding that must be cooked and not the instant type.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Here's how to keep your pie filling from being runny: Add a box of instant pudding, regular or sugar free. It's the same principle as using cornstarch but pudding adds some extra flavor; it doesn't 'bland' down the taste.

These are some of my favorite combinations: Lemon with any fruit, including pumpkin and sweet potato. Butterscotch is also good with pumpkin or sweet potato. Vanilla with coconut custard. White chocolate with banana cream.

By Joan from Chesapeake, VA

I'm baking a pie for Christmas, but when I cut pies the crust always gets broken and the pie usually tends to fall apart. I want to make a perfect pie for my family so does anybody have any tips? Also if you have any fun pie recipe ideas I'd love to know! Thanks.

By Lilly from Cody, WY

I am probably too late for you to give you any tips but here is an excellent site that you can refer to. Sometimes when I am rolling out a pie crust to get it to my pie pan, I roll it up on the rolling pin and then place it in the pan. This works fairly well too.

http://allrecip  e-pie-crust.aspx

This makes a perfect crust every time: Combine 1/2 cup of oil with 7 tablespoons of ice water. Beat til creamy. To avoid oil separation, pour all at once over 2 cups of flour. Mix, form into ball, & roll out between two squares of waxed paper. (Prepare pastry just before use; don't store.)

Maybe baking it a bit too long? Try covering the crusted area with strips of foil. That used to be used back in the 40, 50, etc. Uneven heat in the kinds of ovens used. Whether gas, wood stove, etc.