Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Pink Stain in Toilet

I have this pink stain as a ring around the top of my water line in my toilet bowl. I have tried bleach tank drop ins with no success. Is there an effective tank drop in for these stains? I don't like those kind that hang on the side of the bowl and i don't like scrubbing those stains away every day either!

Dengo

By Elaine in Oregon (Guest Post)11/10/2008

WOW! After years of frustrating attempts to rid my toilets of the embarrassing pink rings, inspite of regular cleaning, I took the advice of several writers and too discovered that THE WORKS from Dollar Tree together with an aggressive scrubbing with a pumice stone from Home Depot did the trick. I suspect that the pumice stone would have accomplished the task alone but THE WORKS, at $1, was not a costly investment. After thinking we would need to replace all of our toilets, we are thrilled to have them sparkling like new. While I did not feel terribly good about using the not-so-environmentally- friendly chemical, the clean toilet is wonderful. Thanks for the tips everyone.

By Liz (Guest Post)08/08/2008

I've yet to try any of the suggested answers for the toilet bowl issue, so here's hoping one works for me. I do know how to get it out of your grout, and off the side of your tub. Dilute about 1 tbs of laundry detergent in 1 qt of water. Put it in a spray bottle. You will also need Baking Soda, a sponge with a scrubbing pad (one that you would use on counters or dishes), and a "junk" toothbrush. Spray down the area, then shake the baking powder all over where you just sprayed and scrub. Yes, it takes a little elbow grease, but I've found it is easier than most products claiming to "do the scrubbing for you". Rinse thoroughly. For regular maintenance I got one of those sprays for after you're out of the shower... though seeing as this bacteria is attracted to soap I need to check and see if that is exacerbating the problem. Hope this helps!

By Granby (Guest Post)04/11/2008

I have found using a pumice stone to be effective at removing difficult toilet stains. Just wet the stone first and scrub the bowl and surprisingly it removes most tough stains without damaging porcelain.

By Jillian (Guest Post)10/16/2006

i have this same problem and called my water company. they told me that the stain is caused by an air-borne bacteria that grows on water and that adding bleach regularly to the water kills it. i also have it on the side of the tub and in the grout on the shower floor...have not been able to find an effective cleaner

By heather (Guest Post)08/11/2005

since living in philadelphia, we've encountered a real problem.....after flushing the toilet, we get a brownish purplish water stain on the underside of the toilet seat! if we don't remove it right away, it stains...and we've now got it lot of it under our seat and it's embarrassing! i've tried straight bleach, goo-gone and other hard core chemcials...what is this and how do i prevent htis? don't want to have to buy a new seat every couple of months!

thanks.

By Guest (Guest Post)07/12/2005

It is a harmless, airborne bacteria called Serratia marcescens. Keeping a bleach toilet cake like 200 flushes in the tank will help keep it away and/or cleaning with bleach or bleach product.

By (Guest Post)07/05/2004

Are these actually stains or are they mineral deposits from your water? I would guess mineral deposits or the whole bottom of the toilet would be stained. Most bleach, or similar based cleaners, only remove the colour but not the deposit so it very quickly becomes stained again. To remove the deposit rub with 'wet and dry' sandpaper - it is usually black and very fine grade, and can be used without removing the water first. You can rub quite hard and this does not damage the surface. I salvaged an old toilet with this method and it only needs repeating every couple of months. This is a very thrifty solution and saves the use of chemicals - better for your pocket and the environment.

Regards

Jo

By sharon cleghorn07/05/2004

there is a product called "The Works, toilet bowl cleaner" sold at Wal-Mart. I have used this on toilets that looked unsalvageable. It does work. You can then use it for a weekly or varied time cleaner. Best tip to start -- plunge the water out of the bowl. Squirt the cleaner all around, including under the rim. Allow to set for about 15 min or so. Use a regular toilet brush. You should see if dissolving almost immediately. The brush is to help remove stuff. Then flush when done. Later, you can squirt the works under the rim, and bowl. Let sit however long, and a quick swipe with the brush and you are done. It is septic system safe. I have tried all other products and have the best success with this. good luck

By Gale (Guest Post)07/05/2004

Try "Snobol". It is a toilet bowl cleaner. It will get rid of all of the build up. As far as a drop in, I use "Bowl Fresh". It is the ONLY drop in I have found to combat hard water stains. I use the Snobol every time I clean the toilet. If the stains don't disappear right away, they will after a couple cleanings. The bleach cleaners are ok. in some areas, but they don't work for me.