Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Creating Display Shelves Above Windows

Finding more space for storage or display often requires that you look at often unused areas around your home or apartment. This is a guide about creating display shelves above windows.

Some time ago someone posted an idea to use shelves over windows. I had commented that I did the same thing only I used wooden door gingerbread trim to make the side brackets so that I could hang my curtain rods through them. Someone contacted me and asked me to post a picture. I used basic wooden shelving and trimmed the edges with rope molding.

By Lynn from Albany, NY

Top Comment

My husband constructed a long shelf over my French doors in my dining room going to the our back deck, he used Knotty Pine paneling from his parents home so it has a sentimental value to us. I have a collection of teapots and teacups that's it on this shelf above the back doors and also there is a shelf in the adjoining wall with books about two angels and tea cups and tea pots of all sizes.

June 25, 2009 Flag

Create Display Shelves Above Windows
I had collected many tin containers and had no place to display them. We decided to put small shelves over the windows in the guest bedroom to serve as display shelves. It also frames the windows and makes them look a little more substantial. We then mounted the valance inside the window frame. This gives you some added shelf space if you have limited space.

By Susan from Mulberry, FL

Answers:

Create Display Shelves Above Windows

Very nice idea! Thanks. (02/03/2009)

By Dibbs

Create Display Shelves Above Windows

Great idea! My husband is going to kill me when I tell him I need these! Thanks for the post! (02/03/2009)

By marisa0407

Create Display Shelves Above Windows

I love your idea! I had thought about doing the same over my patio doors in my kitchen, I NEVER have enough display space! Maybe I just have too much to display! LOL! (02/03/2009)

By Jawga

Create Display Shelves Above Windows

I did the same thing, only for the "brackets" I used decorative gingerbread for the corners of a wooden screen door so that I could put my decorative curtain rod-pole through them. I have wooden blinds and lace valances. Around the edge of the shelving we put decorative wooden trim that looks like rope. They look great and the best part is that you can make these custom to fit any size window. (02/04/2009)

By Lynn

Create Display Shelves Above Windows

Using the gingerbread sounds good Lynn. There are so many different ways to do these shelves above the windows to make them just the way you want. Have fun, it's a really easy project. (02/05/2009)

By Susie

Create Display Shelves Above Windows

Now there's a fresh idea, I like that! (02/05/2009)

By kimhis

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Shelving composed of multisized cubes and rectangles.
Building Storage Shelves
Organizing MiscellaneousDecember 11, 2016
Man putting in Corner Shelves
Building Corner Shelves
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
Above Ground Pool
Winterizing an Above Ground Pool
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 5:23:58 AM on 10.0.0.199 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.