Create Display Shelves Above Windows

Some time ago someone posted an idea to use shelves over windows. I had commented that I did the same thing only I used wooden door gingerbread trim to make the side brackets so that I could hang my curtain rods through them. Someone contacted me and asked me to post a picture. I used basic wooden shelving and trimmed the edges with rope molding.

By Lynn from Albany, NY

I think this is a great idea if you have decorative things to store that you don't need to get to-- books, etc. I'm all for using all that vertical space.

Top Comment

My husband constructed a long shelf over my French doors in my dining room going to the our back deck, he used Knotty Pine paneling from his parents home so it has a sentimental value to us. I have a collection of teapots and teacups that's it on this shelf above the back doors and also there is a shelf in the adjoining wall with books about two angels and tea cups and tea pots of all sizes.

Your idea is not only cute but so functional! Using the gingerbread trim is a real bonus and incorporating the curtain rod into it is very clever. Kudos for your ingenuity!

Do your all think 2 shelves over double windows would look good? I have 2 sets of double windows and a single window. Would it look good to have shelves over all the windows or would that be to much?

I have a long shelf over my French doors at my back door. It is very decorative and a half a nice display of tea cups teapots and other Tea related items on the Shelf

Years ago I made cornice boards which were about 6 inches from the ceiling. At Christmas I would put garlands, fake apples and lights on top of them. They looked wonderful and added a great festive touch to the livingroom. Shelves are a great idea for a country look! Nice idea.

This is a wonderful idea for me to work on. Am renting an old place and taken down all their curtains and frills hence leaving the top ledgers around. Now I can dress it up and add some of my stored away treasures. Thank you for the tip.

I forgot this great idea then when I needed space this month your picture reminded me.Thanks for sharing.

The Shelf over my back door is very functional and very cozy looking

Organizing MiscellaneousJune 25, 2009
Man putting in Corner Shelves
Building Corner Shelves
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
Above Ground Pool
Winterizing an Above Ground Pool
🎉
🎄